Your feedback on the cost of concrete footpath in Sydney

My property is positioned on the low side of the street. After a downpour, water always collect against the wall on the front of the house where 3 of the bedrooms are located and unfortunately the garden top soil lines up against the brickwork of the house. The house have had passed termite damaged found during a pest inspection and it was treated previously.

Recently I have organised a builder to replace some damages jib rock in the house and upon the removal of the walls and while clearing up the rubble they found live termites.

Since then which is about 3-4 days since the termites were uncovered they have died including the samples that were collected by the builder. This was confirmed by the pest guy who said that the termites die because they aren't very tolerant to sudden changes in temperature. I was not aware of this.

I gave that little anecdote to provide some details leading up to the reason for this post. I would like to find out your opinion with the regard to the cost of:

1) Laying down a concrete footpath (900mm in wide) to provide a gap between the soil and the brickwork of the house.

2) The trenching (~700mm deep) of an “Agriculture Pipe” to collect the run off of the rain that runs down the slope (~20-25 degrees) in the direction of the house and have the water redirected to run down the side of the house.

The Ag Pipe will apparently be enclosed/covered by “Blue Metal” and later packed by “Recycled Concrete” that will make the path that runs down the side of the house.

The quotation give was ~$7,300.00 which includes all materials, excavations, removal of foliage, & earth; & the relocation of rocks in the existing garden bed. (See diagram attached)

To be honest I don't have much experience in renovation/building. I'd appreciate your opinion as to whether the price is fair or too high?

Many thanks.
Lei

Attachments

• Pathway_Construction.gif
    Pathway_Construction.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Craig...at $50/sqm it would cost approx. $2,812.50 to lay concrete footpath for the front and side of the house... Assuming it cost another $1,500 to dig out the soil, install drainage and clean out the shrubs on the side, that means this builder is making at least $2,257 after GST, and his profit margin is more than 30%.

Lei

Digging costs money, I'd investigate other options.

Is it only rain water your issue?
Do you also get water from the street running down your driveay?
Are your gutters ok?
Where does the water from your gutters go at the moment?

Is the house raised above ground?
Where would the water go if you did redirect it away from the house and let it run towards the back yard?

Thanks Craig...at $50/sqm it would cost approx. $2,812.50 to lay concrete footpath for the front and side of the house... Assuming it cost another $1,500 to dig out the soil, install drainage and clean out the shrubs on the side, that means this builder is making at least $2,257 after GST, and his profit margin is more than 30%.

From info provided the builder is not laying a concrete path on the side of the house.

He is installing an agg drain topped with recycled concrete. Recycled concrete is basically old concrete that has been crushed down to a pile of ruble and is then used as a fill, similar to blue metal. So the path will be loose (compacted) rocks the source of which is old concrete.

Using the recycled concrete as a path would certainly not cost $50 m2 to lay.

By the way the $50 m2 cost is including steel mesh which could be left out in a path 900mm wide.

Cheers

no , $2,257 less tax, and then his profit would be $1,100,

Craig,

The builder has almost complete the project, except that concrete has not been laid due to bad weather, but the trench has been digged and filled. He has put 3-5 people on the job for a total of 3 days. Seeing that his people are very young (early 20s), I believe he pays them no more than $20/hour, which is the average rate for apprecentice with under 5 year experience. The cost of material is very little for recycled concrete. Here's an approxi. cost breakdown:

1) WAGE:
$20 X 6 Hours X 3 Days X 3 People = $1080
$25 X 2 Hours X 3 Days X 2 People (more experienced) = $300
TOTAL: $1380

2) MATERIALS:
Recycled Concrete ($22/ton) = $50 (Don't think he used more than 2 tons)
Concrete ($11/m3) = $91 (Front path: 8m Length X 1m Width X 0.3m Thickness. Side path: 13m Length X 1.5m Width X 0.3m Thickness.)
Miscellaneous: $200
TOTAL: $341

3) Assuming that it takes another day for 3 people to lay the concrete:
$20 X 6 Hours X 3 People = $360
TOTAL: $360

It seems that his cost for the project is approxi. $1380 + $341 + $360 = $2081. At $7300 quoted price, before GST he collects $7300 X 0.90 = $6570. That means his profit is $4489, profit margin is 68% (4489 divided by 6570).

The builder definitly makes a lot of money... If I had shopped around for a second quote, I should be able to save 1k - 2k.

:( Lei

Lei

Digging costs money, I'd investigate other options.

Are your gutters ok?
Where does the water from your gutters go at the moment?

Where would the water go if you did redirect it away from the house and let it run towards the back yard?

Bill,

Are you a builder/handy man by profession? Because the questions you ask are very specific, it seems you had previous experience with this type of work. :)

The rain water is not the only issue, the moisture attract termites, and pest treatment is not enough unless I can solve the water issue.

Yes, the house is located in the lower land so water from the street runs down the hill and pass the house.

Are your gutters ok?
The gutters need replacement, however, I'm not going to do anything to it because I plan to extend the house next year.

Where does the water from your gutters go at the moment? Where would the water go if you did redirect it away from the house and let it run towards the back yard?
At the moment there is no drainage, that why it collects infront of the house. After putting in the pipe (plastic) and concrete pass, it should direct the water down the side of the house.

Only the back parts, the front parts are level with the ground, that's why the builder is removing the soil and putting in a simple drainage.

:) Lei

From info provided the builder is not laying a concrete path on the side of the house.

He is installing an agg drain topped with recycled concrete. Recycled concrete is basically old concrete that has been crushed down to a pile of ruble and is then used as a fill, similar to blue metal. So the path will be loose (compacted) rocks the source of which is old concrete.

Using the recycled concrete as a path would certainly not cost $50 m2 to lay.

By the way the $50 m2 cost is including steel mesh which could be left out in a path 900mm wide.

Cheers

Andy,

You're definitly right... having done a quick search on the internet, recycled concrete only cost $22 per ton and each ton equals approxi. 1,000 kg.

I think the builder is putting recycled concrete in the bottom layer and use proper concrete on the surface only. The digging and clearing (a lot of plants on the side) took up most time, whereas the materials cost very little. (I saw him sending one of his people to Bunnings for plastic roll to put under recycled concrete.)

Lei

The rain water is not the only issue, the moisture attract termites, and pest treatment is not enough unless I can solve the water issue.
I was thinking that perhaps it was a combination of rainwater, leaking gutters and/or a leaking tap?
Yes, the house is located in the lower land so water from the street runs down the hill and pass the house.
you could stop street water by having the driveway slightly raised from the street or by installing a channel

The gutters need replacement, however, I'm not going to do anything to it because I plan to extend the house next year.
Street water
If your gutters are leaking obviously more water is going into your yard so leaks have to stop. If you don't want to spend the money to replace the gutters at least you should repair them and silicon is cheap....

At the moment there is no drainage, that why it collects infront of the house. After putting in the pipe (plastic) and concrete pass, it should direct the water down the side of the house.
Down the side of the house? and where does it go then?
If it goes into your neighbours yard he'll probably have reasons to complain

I was thinking that perhaps it was a combination of rainwater, leaking gutters and/or a leaking tap?
you could stop street water by having the driveway slightly raised from the street or by installing a channel

If your gutters are leaking obviously more water is going into your yard so leaks have to stop. If you don't want to spend the money to replace the gutters at least you should repair them and silicon is cheap....

Down the side of the house? and where does it go then?
If it goes into your neighbours yard he'll probably have reasons to complain

The gutter is rusty and has many holes... I don't think silicon would help... it's really on it's last breath :)

The builder tried to save money...only installed an eg pipe and directing the water down the hill rather than into storm water pipe... hope the neighours won't notice (fingers crossed)

It seems that his cost for the project is approxi. $1380 + $341 + $360 = $2081. At $7300 quoted price, before GST he collects $7300 X 0.90 = $6570. That means his profit is $4489, profit margin is 68% (4489 divided by 6570).

There are other costs as well such as workers comp, insurance, transport etc etc so while the profit looks massive, Im sure its not that much.

Back