Your investment A-Team? Pity the fool?

Hi all,

Im Looking for the best of the best in Perth. Lawyers, Accountants, RE Agents, Brokers, etc? I'd like to consolidate everyones opinions if I could.

Please provide context as to why they are your choice.

Strange I ask this as my broker is in melbourne! Big plug to Peter Tersteeg(PT-Bear) very patient and top bloke. Has put up with a lot from myself and still hasnt had a sale from me! Were talking half a year of back and forth! Anyone who can pay attention to your ramblings for that long without a single sale is darn right fantastic IMO.

Your A-team is #blank# and why?

why not keep your broker? seriously i have never met my broker, in fact i hardly even talk to him over the phone, i dont think having a broker insterstate is an issue.

Accountant again i have a 15 minute face to face with him this year and the rest will be over email. Next year i will probably just book a time for a 30 minute phone block or similar rather than drive out to his office in the suburbs.

Lawyer i like having here because each state laws vary and also when trying to meet deadlines i might drop off a cheque or contract in person. Otherwise i have never met the person i deal with although the solicitor/owner is a relative so have met them.

.... Peter Tersteeg(PT-Bear) very patient and top bloke. Has put up with a lot from myself and still hasnt had a sale from me! Were talking half a year of back and forth! Anyone who can pay attention to your ramblings for that long without a single sale is darn right fantastic IMO.

The problem you are going to have reeco, now that you've mentioned what you've done with your MB, is that no-one with any decent A-Team professionals, will want to expose them to this kind of 'client behaviour'.:p

My Lawyers can't operate outside of Victoria last time I checked - not covered by their insurance.

The Y-man

interesting, at the moment i am staying in vic for all my stuff as i am still a bit hands on with our little boxes but will def keep that in mind if we head over the border.

The problem you are going to have reeco, now that you've mentioned what you've done with your MB, is that no-one with any decent A-Team professionals, will want to expose them to this kind of 'client behaviour'.:p

Hah! Yes I realized that after I posted it. I believe I may have been the exception!

Yeah, my record is four years and four months:

First Enquiry: April, 2004
Settled Purchase: October, 2008

Fairly constant questions, answers, worksheets, calculations etc etc over the whole period.

In the end, it was that the landlord decided to sell that forced the family to realise that it was 'now or never' - right at a time when interest rates were rising monthly, so her servicing was falling monthly.

Still, by moving ever outwards she found a four year old house in a developing neighbourhood and made a decision!

You may have heard, reeco, that until we make a decision nothing else can happen!

Don't torment Pete for four years. Make a decison and reap the rewards!

cheers
Kristine

ummmmmmmmmm.................no u arent :)

And then there are the ones that sign a contract and say "I need money, can you get it for me please.........? :D :D

Or go to an auction and realise that the property is going to go for a song and you were there doing research for your child, not for yourself, and Hubby starts bidding. You frantically make call after call to your broker, only to find that he's not answering the call (on holiday, as I recall). You end up allowing the other party to purchase for $50k under market as you know it was touch and go that the funds would be available at that time.:eek:

I think one should approach this from the other side. What sort of clients do knowledeable expert advisors want? What sort of clients do you not want?

If you're a newbie, you want a patient advisor who explains the basics to you. And they don't necessarily have to be knowledgeable about the advanced stuff. You also have to be able to understand, and act upon, the ideas. What's the point of someone telling you about IO with offset for your PPOR if you can't budget and don't understand it?

At the advanced levels, I'm looking for new ideas and choices. These are often opinions, and the client needs to be able to evaluate those.

Last edited:
I think one should approach this from the other side. What sort of clients do knowledeable expert advisors want? What sort of clients do you not want?

If you're a newbie, you want a patient advisor who explains the basics to you. And they don't necessarily have to be knowledgeable about the advanced stuff. You also have to be able to understand, and act upon, the ideas. What's the point of someone telling you about IO with offset for your PPOR if you can't budget and don't understand it?

At the advanced levels, I'm looking for new ideas and choices. These are often opinions, and the client needs to be able to evaluate those.

Yeah- I've stopped taking a lot of newbie work. Spend a lot of time taking the personal (non billed) approach when I have good commercial work that's overdue.

Perhaps more relevantly- if people are not paying for a service they don't seem to appreciate it.

So instead of expecting a willing bunch of professionals to volunteer to be part of the "A Team" you may instead consider hunting them out for yourself. All part of the learning journey.

I found the last clients I had with the "A Team- I went to Peter Spann seminars" attitude were the most high maintenece clients who would complain about their bills for legal work provided.

Not worth the agro to be honest.

Best wishes OP. Let us know your recommendations.

As always i guess it would depend on the situation. If your highly sort after..no doubt. If your in a sea full of fish...well you revert back to the usual of working hard to proving and maintaining your worth. Are you talking about marketing alexlee? as in what you want to project(aka star power) or self worth?

Being knowledgable is one thing. Being marketable is another

As always i guess it would depend on the situation. If your highly sort after..no doubt. If your in a sea full of fish...well you revert back to the usual of working hard to proving and maintaining your worth. Are you talking about marketing alexlee? as in what you want to project(aka star power) or self worth?

It depends on the client and what they want. You said you're looking for an A-team, the 'best', but what is the best depends on your needs. But if someone says 'this mortgage broker is great because she can structure complicated deals', then it's pretty useless to you if your need is for someone to explain how to use offset accounts.

Some brokers might not want to do newbie deals because it takes too long to explain things to them. In this case, even if that broker was the 'best', and someone is a newbie, it doesn't matter because they don't want to work with them.

A lawyer might be an expert at dealing with contracts with developers. Is that what you need? Do you really need someone like that (you'll be paying more) for a straightforward resi buy?

Being knowledgable is one thing. Being marketable is another

I don't understand what that means. My experience is that knowledgeable experts get that way over time, and they get client referrals.

It's unlikely you'll find an expert who is starved for business so they'll have to work with anyone.

It depends on the client and what they want. You said you're looking for an A-team, the 'best', but what is the best depends on your needs. But if someone says 'this mortgage broker is great because she can structure complicated deals', then it's pretty useless to you if your need is for someone to explain how to use offset accounts.

Some brokers might not want to do newbie deals because it takes too long to explain things to them. In this case, even if that broker was the 'best', and someone is a newbie, it doesn't matter because they don't want to work with them.

A lawyer might be an expert at dealing with contracts with developers. Is that what you need? Do you really need someone like that (you'll be paying more) for a straightforward resi buy?

Alexlee. Ill try and make it simpler. My search here is for what other SS members percieve as the best.... Surely you can gather this from my post?? From there i would more then likely have contacted those mentioned here to see if they do fit my criteria...and as you mentioned earlier... if "I" fit there criteria.

Im sure youve seen various posts on SS asking for proffessional help in differing areas regarding real estate no? Well my goal was to bring together past and present opinions into one neat little area.

But then i realised that would be in a potential conflict of SS rules. Potential unless it were to come from the higher ranks of SS?

Your thoughts appreciated alexlee:)

Last edited:
Back