Your Investment Property Mag Winners

Hey guys,
I tried to find the other thread that talked about investment property magazines but couldn't find it.
I bought the February your investment property magazine today as it had all the 2014 investor of the year awards. The winners and the amount of equity each has created seem pretty poor really. I mean these people are supposed to be the best in Australia and the majority haven't even made a million dollars in 12 years of investing.

They are doing better than me, however I'm not a super star investor. I've been trawling this forum now for about 3 years and by the looks of it many of the SS Forumites are doing remarkably better than the winners in the magazine.

Am I being too harsh?

Cheers

Investing success is one of those things where sometimes it pays NOT to advertise.

On the other hand, there's also a lot of people on Somersoft whose reputation is bigger than their portfolio.

In the past there has been some very good and inspiring results. Maybe it's just this year that they seem a little flat. I remember seeing Nathan Birch in one of the magazines and quite a few immigrants from various countries that were killing it.

Northy85,

I am very early into my investment journey and I am happy to say that I am still a novice.

We made a decision early on that we would not tell anyone about our plan to purchase multiple investment properties as its really about us not the wider family and what they may/may not think...

We have certain family members that always show boat when they get something eg house,car etc and are "better" than the rest of the family..

Ultimately it no one knows what you do the better!!!

That said I have promised myself when IP 10 has been brought I may let it slip..

Coota

I wish I didn't tell my family about my properties. It caused so many dramas when they found out how much is owing on them. Our family also has certain members who love to show off their cash however they have almost no assets to justify their spending. The end state of investing for me is finacial choices and opportunities. Working pay check to pay check just so you can look rich is stupid.

It's an interesting one, I generally like to keep what I'm up to fairly quiet but at the same time opportunities can come your way if pepple know what you're doing. This is especially true for value add property projects and business.

There is also a difference between discussing achievements/experiences etc and bignoting although admittedly it can be viewed as a thin line

It's an interesting one, I generally like to keep what I'm up to fairly quiet but at the same time opportunities can come your way if pepple know what you're doing. This is especially true for value add property projects and business.

There is also a difference between discussing achievements/experiences etc and bignoting although admittedly it can be viewed as a thin line

In my experience, keeping the numbers to yourself goes a long way not to big note yourself.

also pays to keep them to yourself, cos what happens if the numbers start off good and then go to sh@t.... egg on face. Note to myself, "I see nothing, I know nothing";)

Last edited:
I just hope the people of SS keep posting their achievements because it is the best place I've found that you can see the nuts and guts of different investment strategies.

also pays to keep them to yourself, cos what happens if the numbers start off good and then go to sh@t.... egg on face. Note to myself, "I see nothing, I know nothing";)

Things sometimes go better than expected and sometimes worse, nothing to be embarrassed about imo.

If you're playing to win you'll occasionally lose, can't be avoided

If you're playing to win you'll occasionally lose, can't be avoided

One point that I remember from reading Peter Lynch's 'One Up On Wall Street' is that he said that even the very best investors lose on at least half their investments. As long as the winners out pace the losers, you're good to go.

P

It's pretty simple really when it comes down to it..

"those who never push themselves...never fail!!"

You need to be able to realise you may stuff up along the way but that's the beauty of the human condition,learn from it and move on

Coota.

One point that I remember from reading Peter Lynch's 'One Up On Wall Street' is that he said that even the very best investors lose on at least half their investments. As long as the winners out pace the losers, you're good to go.

Yep, good point and you learn from your mistakes.

Back