Your top 5 suburbs

MHO :) and in no particular order:

1. Castle Hill/parts of Baulkham Hills- biggest block possible with 4 bed house on it for under $500K
2. Inner West- I prefer Summer Hill and anything with character
3. Anything on the Northern beaches close enough to main transport (bus)
4. Chatswood- look for bigger blocks with solid federation homes on them
5. Beecroft/Cheltenham- stick close to station and the right sides of these suburbs for maximum rental yields.

I still believe that we're in a "resettlement period" as far as the cycle goes, and with yields only now just starting to improve, Sydney still presents as a difficult city in which to afford a property for investment purposes.
Interesting times ahead.... now who has that crystal ball?!!

grubar30 said:
markpatric,

Let me clarify - I did (do) not take Bcorp or Rates into account....to bring those puppies into the picture you’re looking at a ~4.6% gross yield (say rates and bcorp come to $2.5K per year and you rent at $220pw).....or put differently, you’d have to buy this property at a 8.1% gross yield (so either it rents for $305 to make up for the $191K weekly loan repayments of $253 and the $48 per week for bcrop and rates, or you buy at $141K and it rents for $220 pw) to make it CF neutral....either way, its just not going to happen....btw, I'm not fudging the number to make it seem "nice"....I'm simply leaving out rates and bcorp and saying that if you buy it at around $171K, then factor in 2-3 years of rent rises to get it to that “self-sufficient” stage.….maybe I should have stated this…

But my point still stands – whether you factor in rates and bcorp or not, you’ll be hard pressed to find better yields in the unit market that St Lucia/Toowong….

George

I agree, definately a bargain and great value for St Lucia.;)

markpatric said:
I agree, definately a bargain and great value for St Lucia.;)
Markpatric,
St Lucia is a upmarket rental area, but what do you think will
happen once the green bridge is complete at Dutton Park
do you think the students will stay in that area,or start to move to the cheaper rentals in the inner southside around Dutton Park,Yeronga
Highgate Hill and near by areas..
good luck willair..

I think they will most definately move to these areas, as they have more nightlife, cafes etc.
This will be good for St Lucia with less traffic but even better for Dutton Park, West end etc, I think students will seek accomodation on that side of the river in droves.
Not sure about the bus only aspect, at least the option is there to open it to cars and motor bikes in the future.

markpatric said:
I think they will most definately move to these areas, as they have more nightlife, cafes etc.
This will be good for St Lucia with less traffic but even better for Dutton Park, West end etc, I think students will seek accomodation on that side of the river in droves.
Not sure about the bus only aspect, at least the option is there to open it to cars and motor bikes in the future.

Fair assessment....

It’s a funny area though…..I grew up a few suburbs over in Woolloongabba (inner south) in the 80s and Dutton Park always had this weird and unknown feel to it….Italians, Yugos, Russians and Greeks seemed to love the place (every second home either has a concrete yard or Roman balcony)..…then again, so did a lot of old-time aussies, mostly pensioners…..the whole place had an ambience of somewhat isolation….as a kid, I’d sometimes ride my pushbike through its hilly streets and the area just seemed to give me the creeps….don’t know why though….

George

my melbourne top 5

My Melbourne top 5 suburbs

North Melbourne
North Blackburn
North Boxhill
North Brighton
and
Northcote.

My Mother told me that houses that are North facing are more expensive - hence my choice.

'who's on first??'

arriety said:
I have relatives who live in St Mary's (Sydney) so have been there to visit a couple of times. It's an older suburb and rather a looooog way from CBD - I couldn't see any good shopping area. The main street is Ok but not great and the buses are terrible. It does have train station, though but doesn't everywhere in Syd??? I've taken the train to Penrith and was impressed with shopping there. No one has mentioned Penrith - is it too expensive now or too far?

(from one who doesn't live in Sydney but is interested in the Real Estate situation there)
We used to have a shop in the St Marys High Street area, and lived in St Clair. My opinion of the St Mary's shops is that the area was dying (end 2002), don't know if it has recovered ?

Mt Druitt however (one station closer to Sydney) seemed the opposite, with good shops and older houses beginning to be demolished and replaced with new ones. I would imagine that Mt Druitt area prices would have already increased in anticipation ?

Not sure what areas I would consider at the moment.

abcdiamond said:
We used to have a shop in the St Marys High Street area, and lived in St Clair. My opinion of the St Mary's shops is that the area was dying (end 2002), don't know if it has recovered ?

Mt Druitt however (one station closer to Sydney) seemed the opposite, with good shops and older houses beginning to be demolished and replaced with new ones. I would imagine that Mt Druitt area prices would have already increased in anticipation ?

Not sure what areas I would consider at the moment.
The shops in High St are not the greatest, although that is where all the real estate agents and banks are. The ones at the station end of the street are dying. There is a Mall on a side street that has Woolworths & Target as the main stores. This part is thriving.

Mt Druitt shops are great. There has been a large extension to the shopping centre. However, you have to go to St Mary's for a lot of the Banks. There is also only a couple of real estate agents in Mt Druitt.

As far as development is concerned, St Mary's/Oxley Park has a lot of townhouses, while Mt Druitt has a few new Unit complexes. Both are getting a few knockdown/rebuilds happening.

Back