Zillmere - Opinions please

Comeing from south of the river :D I would like to hear views on Zillmere. I like the suburbs location, got train station, located between Gympie rd and Gateway, close to Westfield Chermside & Uni campus, a suburb of BCC. It also has a low median compared to its distance rom CBD and compared to other BCC suburbs

But I would like to hear from people with on the ground knowledge, in particular

i) whats the socio demographic like working class, criminal, upper class, typical family structure
ii) Whats the property make-up like housing commision, industrials, gentrification of residentials
iii) is the suburb landlocked or is there vast amounts of tapable land avialable
iv) whats its future outlook like
v) if your familiar with the suburb would you live there/recommend living there

Zilmere is a little bit rough in places. It has gentrified over the years but still has a rough element.
Quite a bit of public housing there.
Popular recently because of zoning. Lots of larger blocks being snapped up for development into units.
You would want to get close to the train of course (some parts of zilmere would be a bit of a long walk to the train) but that goes for anywhere in bne.

CFP,

Just a look at the free RP data suburb report

http://www.myrp.com.au/report_QLD_Zillmere_4034.html

throws up some scaries.

The predominant age group in Zillmere is 20 - 29 years.....OK lots of youngies.

Households in Zillmere are primarily sole parent and are likely to be repaying between $600.00 - $800.00 per month on mortgage repayments......:eek: lots of sole parents on reasonably low incomes (if mortgage repayments were the standard 30% of income)

In 2001, 51% of the homes in Zillmere were owner-occupied compared with 54% in 2006. .......:eek::eek: the "average" is 70% home ownership in this country. At 54% in Zillmere - looks like a disproportionate number of renters.

you've missed the boat a bit - the developers got in there in a huge way a couple of years back - last of the developments starting to go up now.

there are still great opportunities in there though if you know what you are doing.

in direct answer...

i) still a lot of housing commission - so a fair bit of low income...but also a lot of elderley and some younger FHB'ers starting to move in there.
ii) no a lot of industrial - mainly res for the most part with a good chunck of that zoned for higher density - some small strips of industrial/comercial
iii) some spare land, but not much - google earth it and have a look at satellite shot
iv) as with most of the cheaper parts of Nth Bris - should fair well long term...very few areas on nthside as cheap or with such good access to majors etc.
v) nope, but would invest there for the right money - would develop in a heartbeat if the dollars worked well too - i know a lot of guys building in there, but they bought two years back.

hope this helps...cheers,
UC:D

thanks guys. Yeah, UC, thats why i have recently started looking at zillmere. A fair number of development potential blocks have started poppin up - LMR zoned - and for cheap - in the 300s. Since, as you say, it has already moved is there other suburbs that you would recommend. Maybe should look into rochedale instead - I like the look of their proposed town planning scheme.

if you can find a dev site at the right price in there go for it!!

but consider this...the north Bris market for dev sites is largely controlled by the Italians - they bought in there two years ago and are just finishing the builds now. they aren't doing all that much in there right now...there will be a reason for it.

as for future, consider Everton Park, Banyo, Nudgee and even pockets of stafford/McDowall and say wilston/windsor.

all are chuggin along nicely and good sites don't stay on the market long at all (some don't hit the market - sold before they go on the net).

hope this helps,
UC:D

Back