Zimbabwe.

Joke,..

"What did Zimbabweans have before candles?” ....... “Electricity!”

A very sad story of how a once prosperous land has been ruined because of one stupid man,.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article3007534.ece

......"Returning to Bulawayo we stop at a farm seized by Mugabe's henchmen a few years ago. The main house is now a roofless, windowless shell stripped of everything except the bathtub and a lavatory. Fetid black water sits in the bottom of the swimming pool.

The land around is littered with broken farm machinery, rusting silos, empty water tanks and fallen trees. Fields that once rippled with maize and wheat lie abandoned. Where the drive rejoins the road, a couple of ladies hawk a pathetic bowl of onions and tomatoes"........

See ya's.

I read that story with great interest.
Surely the leaders of the "Free World" would have to know what is happening there!?
Why is nothing being done to help over throw this corrupt government?
I guess there is not enough oil there to call for an over throw of government!!

All the black african nations think Mugabee is a hero for getting rid of the whites and standing up to colonialism. If the west intervene it would be seen as an attack on black rule. Can you imagine the UN voting for that?

The UN won't vote for it because it doesn't want to be seen as the heavy. The US won't go for it because there's no oil. Just be thankful we're in a democracy that respects property rights and has independent courts.
Alex

Change has to start from, and be supported by, the inside. There are some very brave people who are resisting Mugabe's regime within Zimbabwe. Earlier this year a number of the leaders of the opposition were brutally bashed- one had to be evacuated because her injuries were more than could be treated within Zimbabwe. But those people (members of MDC- Movement for Democratic Change) are continuing their opposition inside Zimbabwe.

I read that story with great interest.
Surely the leaders of the "Free World" would have to know what is happening there!?
I guess there is not enough oil there to call for an over throw of government!!

All they need to do is prove somehow that there is oil in the ground and G.W (Bush) will be there guns a-blazin' to "save" them.

I know that the current regime is horrendous, but on the flip side, I had an Uncle who was of dutch extraction(by marriage) who had a farm in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) . He basically owned black slaves. And he beat them. My Aunt left him and returned to Britain when he thought it was a good education for his children to see what happened to the slaves when they did 'something wrong'. I am not talking about 200 years ago, but within the last 50 years.

That farm which had a nice pool and sewerage etc etc; I am betting that not too many black people enjoyed its luxury!

I can understand why some black people might support Mugabe - he may be cruel, but he is, at least, a 'local'.

I was just in Zimbabwe just a few days ago, it is a beatuiful country with even beuatifuller people. It is a shame what is happening there, no petrol and the currency is basically worth less than toliet paper.

The biggest denomination of currency is $200,000 - the exchange rate (black market) was between 1.2 mil to 1.5 mil in the 4 days i was there going up each day, apparently it is more on the street but that is just an invitation to get thrown in jail or ripped off. The official bank rate is 30,000.

So changing $20 will get you 4-4 inches of currency, i preffered paying for things in small US dollars as it wouyld allow locals to purchase food etc. across the boarder in Zambia or Botswana.

I do think the world needs to take action, Robert Mugabe IMHO is about the same as sudam Hussien, interestingly enough although he is banned from the Eurpoean Union he atteneded a convention in Spain this week because other african leaders would boycott unless he attened.

The UN won't vote for it because it doesn't want to be seen as the heavy.

More specifically, it is contrary to the purpose of the UN's Charter. As bad as some regimes might be, they only engage in military interventions when it threatens international peace.

The US won't go for it because there's no oil. Just be thankful we're in a democracy that respects property rights and has independent courts.

Separation of powers seems to be a nice way of doing things, doesn't it?

perhaps Boethe(?) didnt lie after all when Mugabe was jailed.
At the time the South African regime sugested it was for his, and Winnie's, part in putting tyres filled with petrol around peoples necks and setting them on fire. It would have been more believable if there had been a trial, but now it does not seem so far fetched.

perhaps Boethe(?) didnt lie after all when Mugabe was jailed.
At the time the South African regime sugested it was for his, and Winnie's, part in putting tyres filled with petrol around peoples necks and setting them on fire. It would have been more believable if there had been a trial, but now it does not seem so far fetched.

Winnie????? are you getting mugabe and mandela mixed up, 2 very different men.

Back