Zynga - CFDs - brag(?) thread?

well, i followed the trend...again. geez it's tough being sensible.

some of you may know i shorted FB from open - made a killing with CFDs after closing out my position at $27 on Jun 4 because the trend had broken. if i had held, i'd be up a lot more again, but that would mean watching it like a hawk and giving back some profit for a few nervous months. all in all, i'm glad at how i handled this.

i paid a slightly higher interest rate and got 40:1 leverage on FB. it seems the good old days of a CFD = 10% deposit are long gone.

i cleared just over 500% (five hundred percent) @ 40:1 with FB - but that was 10 days worth at at IPO, not after and extended time trading.

well, a few select individuals will know i also shorted ZNGA (Zynga) when it crossed under the $9.99 mark for the second time back in late may (May 21, to be exact).

Zynga is a FB gaming application/platform. famous for Zynga Poker. you can buy stupid things like chips and cocktails inside the game with real money. for those that live virtually, i guess this is okay, but a majority of the world don't.

when it crossed $10 for the second time, i knew what that meant.

and what a ride.

with slightly less (!) 20:1 leverage with the same interest rate (god bless 3bp cash rates) the stock today sits at $2.82 after a 16% fall yesterday, off the back of 13% the day before.

i am getting itchy because the short term trend is breaking up (we have divergence of larger, macro signals) so it looks like i will close my position out for another bumper profit in shorting "stoopidstox", as i call them.

my "buy" to exit (remember, i'm short) is set at $2.79, so i'm very close to exit. at these rates, after commissions, it's a potential 667% (that's six hundred and sixty seven percent) profit booking.

i started this thread to highlight that trading isn't about watching the tickers 24/7. it's also about realising stupidity or mania when you see it, and trading with it.

i want to know if there's anyone out there who just waits for a big opportunity like stupididdlyty and mob mentality and just trades with it "all on black" style - or if it's just me being lazy?

I dont know much about what you are saying, but 5XX% and 6XX% gains are a nice pick up for you, whatever the dollar amount! Well done!

pinkboy

200px-The_black_swan_taleb_cover.jpg

sorry will', i no unnastan?

are you saying that the trading is a black swan event? that the actions are highly improbable? or that i'm putting a simplistic slant on an overly complicated system?

sorry will', i no unnastan?
Hey come on,i"ve booked into the local tafe college to fix up my english skills and i do look for the black swans,but they are few and far between, or the simple rule is you should have never trusted anyone,only yourself even your uncle frank would know that..

Hey come on,i"ve booked into the local tafe college to fix up my english skills and i do look for the black swans,but they are few and far between, or the simple rule is you should have never trusted anyone,only yourself even your uncle frank would know that..

i do trust myself - hence the trade!

i dont subscribe to reports or anything, i just watch and wait.

unsure what you're on about :confused:

Well done Aaron, nice returns. I haven't really dipped my toe on shorting such stocks, but a couple I have been thinking about lately are Linkedin, RIMM and Netflix. Not that I've done any research....

I think these opportunities will always present themselves, for me personally it is about having the conviction in my analysis.

well done buddy. Will you be using some of the profits to upgrade your Zynga Farmville farm? How about a crop duster to spray agent orange on neighbouring farms?

Well done Aaron, nice returns. I haven't really dipped my toe on shorting such stocks, but a couple I have been thinking about lately are Linkedin, RIMM and Netflix. Not that I've done any research....

I think these opportunities will always present themselves, for me personally it is about having the conviction in my analysis.

for me, it was seeing a key support level (both psychologically and physically recent) breached.

$10 is a nice round number that stocks bounce off from either direction.

ZNGA broke under $10 but quickly recovered, but volume tipped, the MACD tourned over and it was done. i set my entry at $9.99 and waited.

i only expected a drop to around $7.50, never in my wildest dreams would i have guess sub $3 so quickly. it's just been constantly down, down, down - there's been no excuse to get out.

like my FMG long. i saw it touch 99c and rocket back up to 104. so i went long, thinking it'll recover to $2 in no time.

well, it did - went to $3 quite quickly. indicators got shaky, so i got out, but it went to $4 - but the indicators said get out, so i did and booked the profit at $3. that was all AUD so 1:10 leverage - but still, 2800% (two thousand eight hundred percent - after comms and interest) is a good return!

it's abotu having a system that you can repeat and justify repeating. if you break that cycle, you better have a good explanation why.

Aaron, those returns are great, just wondering what sort of capital are you putting into these deals?

1k, 2k, 10k ??

sorry JIT - i don't operate like that.

i operate on a percentage basis only.

if i look at the figures and start getting fixated on the return in dollars it's very easy to get panicky, worrying about was this trade better than that trade because it has more dollars in it? should i book profit now?

if you concentrate on percentages, the trade is very unemotional.

to me, i trade with no more than 20% of my available capital (that's UNINVESTED capital - not total account value) on any one trade.

example - if i have $20k in an account, but $10k is tied up, then i wont put any more than $2k on a trade.

that's the only way i can get around some increased margin requirements for overnight shorting.

Back