Capital City Monthly Price Indexes

Here's a link to the Residex month by month price indexes for the capital cities (house & unit separate). It seems to be a newly released info source from Residex.

For those that have a bit of knowledge of excel you'll be able to convert the indexes to prices.

Enjoy :)

To save you the trouble, here's the house data in a spreadsheet with the indexes converted to prices. I haven't done the unit data yet.

Attachments

• indexes.zip
    96.2 KB · Views: 439
Thanks for that info twitch, a good month-by-month account to show my parents to continually try to get them into property!

Spreadsheet attached with the lastest data, thanks to Residex. Headlines are Melbourne up 3.3% for the month (10.2% for quarter), Perth down 1.2% for month (but up 2.6% for quarter).

Another highlight is Sydney which has finally set a record price and exceeded it's previous peak from the last boom.

Attachments

• indexes.zip
    97.2 KB · Views: 197
Spreadsheet attached with the lastest data, thanks to Residex. Headlines are Melbourne up 3.3% for the month (10.2% for quarter), Perth down 1.2% for month (but up 2.6% for quarter).

Another highlight is Sydney which has finally set a record price and exceeded it's previous peak from the last boom.

This is really useful, well done.

a suggestion, could you add graph(s) to this spreadsheet? i think it would be really helpful to see the price trends in a graphical form.

thanks

a suggestion, could you add graph(s) to this spreadsheet? i think it would be really helpful to see the price trends in a graphical form.
thanks

AUHousePriceChart2.gif

Thanks Shadow,

Is it possible to add, using the other axis, the ASX Index over the same time period??

Would be interesting to compare the 'volatility' of this line compared with residential property...

spreadsheet error

twitch

thanks go out for the ss however - i noticed in your formula for the prices they are referencing an end index of line 390 instead of the last line which should be 395 in your spreadsheet, your numbers are all slightly out,

correct me if i'm wrong, but the current prices should only be referenced to the lastest index in your case 31st october 2007, not 5 months previous,

can you confirm?

Summary of APR and years to double price from Residex Data

from that same residex data,

shows the 7-10years to double price - is a great barometer

note: 2008 is prices listed as 1/1/2008, the full 2008 is not included obviously

see attached pdf

Attachments

• Australian House Price indexes.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 136
I see that for a few months in late 1995 and early 1996 Darwin houses were the second most expensive of any capital city (Sydney the most expensive). This coincides with my first brief visit to Darwin (I was amazed at how expensive property was at the time)

Then from December 03 to March 05 Darwin was the cheapest capital city (behind Hobart).

Now Darwin prices are climbing again about to nudge Brisbane out. Very counter-cyclical performer is Darwin.

Ajax

Very counter-cyclical performer is Darwin.

Ajax

Interesting.

If you had property in Sydney then it might pay to pick up a cheapie on Darwin during the next Syd property boom...

If what you were after was to diversify. Of course the more diversified your portfolio the less you feel the impact of a large gain in value at one point.

TB

2007 is over and the results are in....

Enjoy.

It would be remiss of me to not at least mention Melbourne had the largest increase of any capital city for 2007 :p 9% for the Dec quarter and 24% for the year.

twitch

thanks go out for the ss however - i noticed in your formula for the prices they are referencing an end index of line 390 instead of the last line which should be 395 in your spreadsheet, your numbers are all slightly out,

correct me if i'm wrong, but the current prices should only be referenced to the lastest index in your case 31st october 2007, not 5 months previous,

can you confirm?
The formula is correct, however there is a very small rounding error in the prices as the indexes only have 4 decimal places. The other thing that causes the difference is that Residex round the value $ figures off to the nearest $500.

thanks
Unfortunately there is a 100kb file size limit and even without graphs and zipped up it's 99Kb

Attachments

• indexes.zip
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
City Median Value Premiums

I like this chart :)

It shows premiums between Bris, Syd, Mel. So for example, the blue line charts what % premium the Sydney median value has been historically to the Melbourne median value.

At the moment Sydney has the smallest premium compared to Melbourne for 20 years. For Brisbane vs Sydney it's the smallest in 30 years.

This means in relative terms (ie compared to Melb & Bris) Sydney looks cheap now.

Enjoy. :)

Attachments

• city_premiums.JPG
    city_premiums.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 91
Back