Holiday in China - any travel tips?

G'day,

I am planning my next holiday.:)

Looking at a holiday in China with Helen Wong Tours.

Any comments from anyone who has been there ... done that?

Thanks.

hi
pm me once you have worked out which one
Looking at a holiday in China with Helen Wong Tours
you are going on
I will organise with a couple of people here with a bit of information on the places you are going to
have alook at gpfund.com and there is a section to change to english and I have a business relationship with this group and they can lots of internal information.
the have alot of fingers in alot of pies.

Been to China a couple of times but not on a Helen Wong tour. If they're anything like the last tour I went on though, expect to spend more time in expensive souvenir shops than at sights of interest (but that was CITS).

In the major cities like Beijing and Shanghai, having free days to look around by yourself is good. That way you can wander around and get a bit of a feel for the city, or do some shopping, rather than just being rushed from sight to sight. For that CITS tour, my wife and I turned up in Beijing a couple of days early, and I think they were our two best days there.

Cheers,
GP

Helen Wong is quite good value though China is very very cheap and you could probably get a better priced tour going to HK first and organising a tour from HK. But probably not worth while for the savings you get.

Tours are very intensive. If you want some time to relax and take in the sights at your leisure then I suggest extending the trip for a few extra days.

Where abouts are you going?

I think the 3 gorges dam will be completed sometime this year.

To give you an idea of how cheap the tours are ex asia and things to do and different tours to take, have a look at this site.

http://www.reliancetravel.com/tourworld_beijing.html

These tours are ex Kuala lumpur inc flights. $400 AUD for a 7 day tour inc flights, food etc

Be very careful. Get your tour guide to change money for you. Keep your passport close to you.

But I think Helen Wong is good value ex Syd about $2k all inclusve right?

I have only been to Guangzhou (Canton Fair) and Shenzhen (train from HK). I would love to visit Beijing and Guilin one day.

If you are interested in Trades you migt want to check if there are any trade shows on when you are there. Its very interesting to see what the import prices are. I was going to import air conditioners and motorised scooters but chickened out...now everyone's doing it.

Air Conditioners 3 years ago, split system reverse cycle was only $125 AUD. All the one syou see in Big W and Kmart for $299 now. Those motorised scooters that elderly people use which can cost $1500k+ is only $150 AUD.

I am thinking of going to another trade show this year and see what I can buy to start an Ebay business :)

Cheers

Hi people,

Thank you for your replies. I will think about your suggestions.

I am merely a tourist visiting Beijing, Xian, Guilin and Shanghai in March 2007.

Hear so much about China these days, just want to take a look and check it out.

Yes, heard the massive 3 Gorges Dam has been completed.

Regards. :)

hi delta
I have not been to china yet but they keep inviting me to come.
but you do have to watch the time of your visit as it is getting warm and towards the middle of next month is getting very warm they tell me.
for me this is ok just ask about the temp for where you are going for you.
just some info

Delta said:
I am merely a tourist visiting Beijing, Xian, Guilin and Shanghai in March 2007.
That's exactly where we went on our tour, although in October.

If you have any spare time at all, it may be worthwhile buying the Lonely Planet guide. It has lots of useful info in it.

With regards to cash, we found changing some in the automatic vending machine at Beijing airport (near the baggage carousels) gave a much better exchange rate than what we got here.

And around any tourist attraction, expect to be constantly harrassed by hawkers trying to flog post cards, fake Rolex watches, DVDs, and other rubbish. It can get a little overwhelming, where getting back to your bus can be a bit like running the gauntlet. On one occasion we had a very young boy bawling his eyes out outside the bus window, constantly calling out "one dollar", like he was some destitute little kid. However, when everyone had ignored him for a while, a slightly older girl walked up and took him by the arm, whereby his tears miraculously disappeared and they walked off together, presumably to run the routine again somewhere else.

Mind you, you can buy Rolex watches for all your friends for about $10 each. :D

Cheers,
GP

Delta,

I think you should carefully consider whether you've made the right choice of Travel Agents.

It could be very embarrassing to tell people after you return that on your holiday to China you went the Wong way.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

GreatPig said:
That's exactly where we went on our tour, although in October.

Mind you, you can buy Rolex watches for all your friends for about $10 each. :D

Cheers,
GP

:D

But would they 'wear' them????? :D

Aceyducey said:
Delta,

I think you should carefully consider whether you've made the right choice of Travel Agents.

It could be very embarrassing to tell people after you return that on your holiday to China you went the Wong way.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

ACDC,

Surely you jest ???

Would two "Wongs" make a right? :D

My parents and went on one week tour of China, which included Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou & Hangzhou. This was in 2001 June. It wasn't with Helen Wong but by China Air or something like that.

1. Be careful of whether. The northern part of China, Beijing was extremely hot and the southern part was wet and cold from rain, as it was partly monsoon season. Be sure to have both long & short sleeves and trousers. Also if you don't have an umbrella people will try to sell, so if you have one take one as it is surely like to rain in the southern parts of China.

2. Also if you want to try different Chinese cuisine, may be you want to go to good restaurants separate from the tour on some nights, as the tour will only go to designated restaurants (which does not reflect the regional cuisine and you will have same type of oily greasy food every night, the restaurants especially set up for tour groups- so its not particularly nice.) The good restaurants aren't particular expensive by Australian standards- like $25-50 per person, while as average place will be like $5-$15.

3. Do not buy in those tourist shops that they take you. We bought some tea and later found that (when we went out with Chinese people at night from the tour to locan shops) we paid at least twice as much for the same quality product, unless you enjoy shopping, as the souvenir shops are more likely to be larger and more clean.

Delta said:
Looking at a holiday in China with Helen Wong Tours.

Any comments from anyone who has been there ... done that?
I went on a Helen Wong tour of Beijing and surrounds about 8 years ago. Back then it was all inclusive, so can't really tell you about the food/ restaurants.
What I do remember was lots of hawkers. My mother would say no to them and they would keep at her. I found that by waving my hand from side to side showing them no made them walk away sooner.
We also made sure that we only drank bottled or boiled water just incase. One bottle I did buy had the seal broken, so make sure you double check it.
Apart from that, enjoy it. I particularly liked the Summer Palace, Tianten temple and the Forbidden City.
A lot of the locals like to practice their English with you as well, although the guides try to keep them away. I don't understand that and was quite happy to talk to them. One of the locals spoke better english than our guide :) Oh, and they also liked to swap coins with you. They love the gold Aussie coins...
My mother visited a few years later on and said it was becoming very westernised. When I was there, some horse and carts were still roaming the city streets of Beijing, but Mum said there were none a few years later.

Jindaro said:
When I was there, some horse and carts were still roaming the city streets of Beijing
You mean like this?

horsecart1982x5gy.jpg

That was taken in Beijing in 1982. As were the following:

wangfujingstreet1982x2ab.jpg

This is Wangfujing Street, which is a lot more westernised and a pedestrian mall today.

forbiddencity1982x2lj.jpg

The Forbidden City entrance. Note the fashion of the day.

intersection1982x3fw.jpg

And a busy city intersection. There were no private vehicles in those days, so the streets were mostly empty except for buses, taxis, and work vehicles - and heaps of bicycles and pedestrians!

When it came to bicycles, Henry Ford obviously had influence: you could have any colour you liked as long as it was black. How anyone ever managed to find their own bike in some of the huge bicycle parking lots I'll never know.

Cheers,
GP

hi - delta: if you are on a budget start trying to reduce your daily coffee consumption (if you partake) cost of coffee was equavlent to a main meal.

Hey GP.

I just loved those photo's!

I've been working and living in China for years and certainly you don't see much of that anymore in the big cities.

Anyone planning to go to China must remember just one thing to ensure an enjoyable trip. Despite what you hear about the new glam, you are visiting a DEVELOPING country. Yes, you will experience aggressive hawkers, grime, beggars, spitting, unscrupulous tour oranisers, dirty squat toilets........... BUT, once you get over all that, you will get a sense of the charm of the ordinary people and the trip will be extremely rewarding.

Any visit MUST include Beijing, but Shanghai, being the financial centre, does not need more than a day in my opinion.

Beijing you must see these 4 key sites -

1. The Great Wall,
2. Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City
3. The Summer Palace
4. The Temple of Heaven.

Then, to see some real culture outside the main city's I highly recommend Yunnan province in China's far south. Beautiful old town in Lijiang (2600m above sea level), so plenty of fresh air you can't see, from there you can visit snowy mountain....and so much else.....Of course, there is always Xian for the terracotta soldiers, Tibet, Guilin for the scenery...

The place is huge and ethnically diverse when you take the time to explore.

Take your time in planning. PM if you want anything specific.

Cheers,

GP

I was there the same year:) Could be my photos!

The other memorable thing for me was a day on a commune and meeting the workers in the fields.

Ani,

I was working there for three months. I must say it got a bit much after a while, with little to do except work. Our hosts did take us somewhere nearly every weekend though, so I did get to see a lot of the sights.

However, the most entertainment I got, other than a bit of Beijing Opera, was hanging out in the bar at one of the tourist hotels near where I was staying, and talking to tourists. One evening I met a group of foreigners from the language institute and iron & steel technology institute, and that led to a few interesting invites: one to a birthday party at the language institute, and another to a party at the British embassy, where a few of the guys were playing in a band.

The biggest challenge for me was that most of the group I met were either European or African, and they tended to prefer speaking French to English (although most could speak English pretty well). While I'd studied quite a lot of French, I wasn't very good at speaking it. At that embassy party, I spent something like 15 minutes conversing with a woman from the Belgian embassy in French. She did most of the talking, of which I only understood a small part, but I kept nodding at what seemed like opportune moments and muttering "oui", so maybe she thought I understood a lot more than I really did. :D

I think though that if I hadn't met that group of people when I did, I might have gone bonkers staying there so long. For a young guy in his early 20s, the night life really sucked. :D

Cheers,
GP

Despite the upcoming Beijing Olympic games very little signage in Beijing is in English. Surprisingly, no signage in Shanghai airport is in English (took 1.5 hrs to navigate way - refused to get in taxi!) despite Shanghai being a major international business centre.

Get a Lonely Planet even if you do not plan to rough it. It has bus routes in it so you can navigate cities by reading bus numbers even if noone speaks the language. You can use it to count off train stops becuse station names are not in english either. Also has listings for major cities (you may want to go to the House of Blues Cafe for some Western food or need to find a travel goods shop as your hiking boots are cactus for all the walking).

Buy a pocket phrase book for a million reasons. One of which is that you can point to a menu item in it even if the restaurant's printed menu is in all Chinese. Open to your phrasebook and point to "beef noodles", waiters will then show you their menu and indicate that there are 4 items that fit that description. Just point to one and they will get that for you. But do not expect them to make the decision, you have to just point and pray. Or point to other dishes on tables yo like the look of. Fast food restaurants (if you need a fix) will have a laminate menu in English and you can point. Portion sizes (burgers etc) are smaller. KFC outnumbers McD about 20 to one. You can have lunch for less than a dollar if you go to the lovely dumpling shops (who needs a burger! pah!)

Internet cafes are EVERYWHERE! Learn the symbol in chinese and you will have no probs finding them.

Travelling on countryside trains? don't be surprised to find someone in your seat. they have paid for a cheaper seat and have set up camp in your spot. Just hold out your ticket, pantomime confusions and smile. They will move. Take bowls of 3min noodles on the train, there is hot water on tap and you have a meal. There is a trolley of snack food but you will have better stuff on you if you visit a supermarket ahead of time. Overnight trains are fun, especiailly the rousing wake-up from The Party in the morning - their anthems to inspire the comrades?

In China in hotels people keep their doors open when they are in their rooms. Fascinating. Often reception only will give one room key even for a twin share. You need to coordinate comings and goings with your roomie. A second key is not an option for some reason.

Hotels have a "business centre" with limited hours and facilities. Go to an internet cafe instead.

cheap knock offs. They are exactly that - cheap. They will not last. Buy one or two things as a keepsake. I bought a few items to frame (textile based as I have a passion for that sort of thing). I remember the pictures my Oma had framed in her own home and hope one day to have grandchildren gazing at the things I have on my own walls.

Do not start to haggle unless you want to buy. That is an insult. If you do haggle, don't feel bad another traveller got a better deal. Just translate it back to Aussie dollars and chill. A 'rip-off' that someone crows about may be a difference of $2.50 Aussie in dollars, big deal.

Be prepared for locals to want to have photos with you. Feel famous for a short while. It is a source of pride for parents to have children fluent in English (Cambridge English no less - tutors must advertise it as such) and they will prompt their children to come and speak with you. Take the time - their language skills are admirable and it will be something for their parents to boast about. It's all good.

Spitting on the street (and indoors sometimes) is de rigeur. It is a cultural thing. same for kids with split pants and no nappies needing to go on the street and in the aisle of an aeroplane no less. Not everywhere is the same as home is it?

Learn a few phrases (phonetic and rusty so my apologies);
Ni hao (nee how), "hello", although literal translation is "you good?"
Bu yao (Boo yow) "no thank you" [these 2 corrected: thx GP]
may shr, "no problem"
how, "affermative/good"
shi shi "thank you" practice saying it and fling a few around.

All the black bicycles like you see in the movies? It is just like that!!! I popped up from the underground rail system and onto a Shanghai street and I really knew where I was. I will never forget it.

Tang is a drink that is considered sophisticated and western. It will be served in some hotel breakfasts. It is served hot in winter.

Some traders do not speak English and will key a price into a calculator and show you.

When you think the bus is filled to capacity there is room for another 30 locals (truly!)

Learn to use chopsticks (if not already Yum Cha au fait) and tuck your own pair into your daypack.

I am female and was travelling on my own and felt safe even walking at night. I never felt anyone was going to steal my bags/delve into my daypack (but I was cautious all the same). I did not see many beggars. I was accosted to buy outside big attractions (Warrior Tombs) and when I said "no thank you" in Chinese was left completely alone. (see what I mean about learning a few phrases)

I was in Shanghai for Chinese New Year - those shopkeepers know how to set a cracker that's for sure! Great experience.

China is an amazing experience. I hope you create as many wonderful memories as I have. I will never forget being on the Great Wall - ever!

*didn't mean this post to grow so long*

Last edited:
A few small comments about the language:

wish-ga said:
Ni hao (hee how)
Slight typo - should be "Nee how".

Boo yong shi shi, "no thank you"
"Bu yong" means "no need", so this is "no" in the sense of "no thanks, that won't be necessary".

In the sense of "no thanks, I don't want any", it would be "bu yao". This is what you can say to all the hawkers trying to sell you post cards, etc.

shi shi "thank you"
This can be very difficult for westerners to pronounce correctly. In Pin Yin it's "xie xie", where the 'x' is very similar to 'sh' but not as strong, and the 'ie' is pronounced as two separate vowels - the 'i' like the "ee" in "meet" and the 'e' as in "bet". Add to that the tonal inflection, and it can take a bit of getting right.

Cheers,
GP

Yes, the tones can make a huge difference. In a=many Asian languages, westerners have trouble with the concept that it's not just the words you say, but the "music" you put on the words. Like in English, the music is different when asking a question. The sentences "are you here?" and "you are here" have a different music, or inflection- with the quesion, in English, we go higher with the voice to indicate a question.

In many Asian languages, the inflection is on a single syllable. In Thai, a single word (written "phonetically" in the Roman alphabet) can have up to five meanings depending on the inflection, or tone. Some of the Chinese dialects have more than five tones.

Using tones can give the language the ability to use shorter words. As in English- the wide number of vowel sounds distinguishes words, and makes word lenghs shorter than Spanish, for instance. But it makes it more difficult for people who do not know the concept.

I once learnt a little Thai. The difference between the same word with different words can be huge.

"Mother" and "Horse" are distinguished using different tones.

I could attempt to say, "I want to buy all of those". But if I used the wrong tone, I could be saying, "I am drunk".

With my elementary use of the language at the time, I was asked in Thailand if I was going to go to Chiang Mai. What I intended to say was "I have already been". But I used the wrong tone- so it came out as "I am going to Laos".

Back