Percent of Population who have Multiple Properties

I read somewhere a while ago that listed what percentage of population actually owned 1, 2, 3, 4 properties etc . As the number increased the percentage decreased. Does anyone know of a link or have those statistics handy?

Hi Rixter

I dont have those studies handy but I thought the Robert Kysaki books referenced it..have you got one handy to look up?

I thought something like 2% had more than 10???? not sure on the rest :)

cheers

Corsa

Rixter,

Jan Somers listed that small table in one of her books.

I think it was based on the Census data of '91, but it might have been updated for the '96 Census.

Corsa said:
Hi Rixter

I dont have those studies handy but I thought the Robert Kysaki books referenced it..have you got one handy to look up?

I thought something like 2% had more than 10???? not sure on the rest :)

cheers

Corsa

Thanks Corsa. I have most of RK's books..Do you know which book in particular?

Dazzling said:
Rixter,

Jan Somers listed that small table in one of her books.

I think it was based on the Census data of '91, but it might have been updated for the '96 Census.

Dazzling, Do you know which book?

Rixter,

I might have some numbers at home. From memory the ones I have were from a NSW Dept of Public Housing report some years ago. 1983 or 1993 are very vaguely in my mind. I was reading the booklet in a library at the University of Queensland. (BTW, I recollect they also had some of the books by Fred Johnson.)

Jan Somers' had some figures in chapter 22 of "More Wealth from Residential Property". Page 227 in my October 2001 first release copy. The source cited is ABS Cat. 8711. I tried ABS in Perth for this data once but without success.

From Jan's book
1 - 5.0%
2 - 1.0%
>=3 - 0.5%

The older NSW figures had a much more detailed breakdown - which I'm sure is more what you'd want. I did see some of the figures quoted in a book, I think it might have been one by Peter Cerexhe, but again am unsure.

I'll have a look on the weekend.

regards,

Rixter,

I looked on the weekend and did not find the data at home.

Maybe someone else has it & can post it?

regards,

Pete said:
Rixter,

I looked on the weekend and did not find the data at home.

Maybe someone else has it & can post it?

regards,

Ok thanks for the follow up Pete. I still havent found anything myself as yet.

Some 1997 ABS stats are quoted in Steve McKnight's 0-130 book (p124).

76% of investors owned one IP
16% owned 2 IPs
8% owned 3 or more IPs

A 1990 NSW Dept Housing report said only 3.6% owned 5 or more IPs.

The 1997 ABS stats say that 6.5% of households have IP(s).

1997 ABS stats:
http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]/0/4f21545a53a56f13ca2568a90013938f?openDocument

Since then the spruikers, seminars, books, internet, easier finance and growing worries about retirement have increased this figure to around 15%, and as high as 25% for some household types.

RBA survey:

http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsAndResearch/Bulletin/bu_may04/bu_0504_2.pdf

See also:

http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsAndResearch/FinancialStabilityReview/Mar2004/Pdf/2004_03_a_box.pdf

Peter

(Note: cut & paste long URLs in browser window)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those statistics concur with "Investing in Residential Property"... Peter Waxman. 6th edition..[Which is full of interesting stats..if you like figures].

ABS 1997 [76% of "investors" had one property and so on..as previous post..].

He also talks about Australia having one of the highest home ownership rates in the world..
[ABS 2001 census] 69.5%..[was 73.4% in 1981]
As opposed to US... 67.4%
Canada... 63.7%
France... 56%
Italy... 68.6%
UK...69%
Germany...43%

Lots of great info there, thanks Peter. Can you supply further details from the NSW report?
A 1990 NSW Dept Housing report said only 3.6% owned 5 or more IPs.

If it is the report I read, it has a breakdown, I think by ownership: in own name or in company name. I seem to recall it also had percentages owning >10 houses too.

Thanks for the information.

regards,

This is straight from our seminar slide show:

Total Australians 20,000,000 100%
Residential investor 970,000 4.85%
1 property 87% 843,900 4.1%
2-4 properties 11% 107,600 0.005%
5+ properties 1.4% 13,580 1/1500
11+properties 0.2% 1,940 1/10,000

1 in 1500 people own more than 5 and less than 11!!!! Not many people with decent sized residential investment portfolios....

Jimmy

JimmyJames said:
This is straight from our seminar slide show:

Total Australians 20,000,000 100%
Residential investor 970,000 4.85%
1 property 87% 843,900 4.1%
2-4 properties 11% 107,600 0.005%
5+ properties 1.4% 13,580 1/1500
11+properties 0.2% 1,940 1/10,000

1 in 1500 people own more than 5 and less than 11!!!! Not many people with decent sized residential investment portfolios....

Jimmy

Jimmy what slide show is that? & where are figures taken from?

Reminds me of another sometimes quoted statistic along the lines that 1% of retired people have a wealthy lifestyle.

The slide show is from the regular seminar at the office I work at.

The fellow who gives the seminar has said that the figures are from the ABS fairly recently.

Another stat is that 90% of Australia retires on the poverty line!!! (ie approx $25,000 or less per year gross income) Scary.... with the baby boomers all retiring soon and the number of tax payers to pensioners nearing 1 to 1, im banking on a sound property portfolio to see me through retirement.

Jimmy

JimmyJames said:
Another stat is that 90% of Australia retires on the poverty line!!! (ie approx $25,000 or less per year gross income)
I don't know if that is a fair limit to put on a "poverty line".

If you were young, with no house and possibly very few possessions, it would be very hard to survice on that level- especiall if there were other members of the family. But people retiring typically no longer have children at home, they are much more likely to own their own house, and they have a lot of possessions. They might be able to survive a lot better on $25k pa.

Fair point, Geoff. That income - $25k pa - does sound a little high.

However 90% is the typical proportion of retired people reported as living on about the pension level. No fun at all....

regards,

What specifically do you want to know more about????

At the moment there is about 3 taxpayers to one pensioner/government sponsored person. In 20 years it will be roughly one to one so I think the pension will become non-feasible. So when our mate Peter Costello says 'if your 55 and still at work.... STAY THERE!!!', then this is sound advice to most Australians who are not well prepared for retirement and sitting on small super funds.

Back