Advertising in r/e - consider this.

One of the things that comes up very often is the cost of advertising your property for sale with an agent.

This thread is directed more at the newbs.

How much should you spend on advertising your property?

Here's my take, and to qualify my view, I can say that I have been involved in over a dozen transactions, and have made some mistakes that you learn from. I've even sold my properties myself. This is not fun, because every second phone call is an agent trying to get your listing and promising you a great service.

I was an agent for a time, and most people enquired about buying a property and had already seen a few on the net, in the window and in the paper that they were interested in. They were already looking. The rest - I showed 'em.

OR, they had seen none at all, and wanted to see what we had.

Unfortunately mistakes are always expensive, so I'll try to save you guys a few bob.....

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEND ANY MONEY ON ADVERTISING TO SELL YOUR PROPERTY.

Now, the agents will chime in here and strongly disagree, and probably some SS posters.

Of course the agents will; they have a vested interest.

I don't. I'm here purely to discuss property and to help others where possible. Yeah, yeah; I'm a bloody great bloke.

But think about this; every single day, every single agent already has probably half a dozen properties advertised in the various papers and on the internet, as well as their signs out the front of the property in their area.

The buyers are already looking.

They are looking in the r/e's windows, trawling the streets looking at the various signs, the streetscapes, the property types - researching their chosen area.

If they aren't; they are on the net, looking in the papers, but probably all of the above.

So, in order for them to see your property, all you need is:-
1. a photo in the r/e's window (which the buyers will be looking in)
2. flyers in the reception for buyers to look at - with the address on.
3. a few photos and a nicely worded blurb on the net.
4. forget the papers - other Vendors have been sucked in and are paying all the advertising for you.
5. forget auctions unless you have a very unique property that is very desirable and there is lots of interest.

So how much does all this cost?

1. If you are resourceful, you can do your own flyers for less than $100, and most likely as good as or better than the agent can do.
2.The agent will pay for the sign - their name is plastered all over it, so let them cover it.
3. The cost of putting your property on their net listings is maybe $20.
4. Forget the papers; there are already a million other Vendors advertising. All you need is a 2 line ad with the important details, or don't even bother.
5. Auctions will always produce a result eventually, but many are not on the day. So, they are not really auctions in this case, they are a private sale, and the auction costs YOU around $1k.

How much have you spent?

Total; $120 maximum, and you WILL sell it if the price is right.

You are better off to spend $350 on a qualified valuer to tell you what to expect. They are the experts, and will tell you honestly what your property is worth.

Or, do your own DD on the area and learn the values.

Well said, BayView.

I agree that newspaper advertising is mostly a waste of time - far more space and prominence is given to the name of the agency which the vendors are paying for. I only ever make sure that a listing goes on realestate.com.au which picks up most "lookers". A photo in the window and an active agent can do the rest.
Marg

Has anyone tried Youtube to market a property?

It's free and providing a 'tour' of the property (if properly edited) is far better than still pictures you get on the real estate websites. Anyone can make a video and put it on.

The only downside is that homebuyers probably don't expect to find property for sale there, so don't even think of searching.

But the same was also true of the internet 10-15 years ago.

Some useful information BayView, but i have a much more expensive one for you....

..... how do you then avoid paying the 3% agent's commission?

:p

Some useful information BayView, but i have a much more expensive one for you....

Easy;

put a sign on the front of the property yourself, and sit back and wait for the phone to ring.

It will - a lot. Mostly agents, trying to get your listing, extolling their virtues and value etc..

Offer them a flat fee for the privilege; say, $5k. Take or leave it. And only for 45 days.

I've had mixed reactions to this one; mostly laughing out loud, but the odd one says yes.

You only need one. ;)

On the topic of Agent's Commissions, and interesting point to note.

If an agent does not complete the Selling Agent Agreement (different name depending on the state) properly - if they make one error or forget something (such as putting in the % value for their commission, but not giving a $$ value) then technically, it's not a valid agreement.

I heard of something that would get three of them signed, take them to her lawyer, work out which one is the worst (ie, most invalid) and go with that agent and pull the $$'s.

Personally, I like the agents that I work with and I'm happy for them to get paid becuase they do a good job - however I've seen plenty of agents out there and think to myself - what on earth are you doing for the money!?!?

you would be crazy selling privately in the Melbourne market at the moment, in some instances you would be missing out on tens of thousands in the areas I sell in.

Ps. are you and Evand related?

Sell it yourself :D
But, hey, let's not start another entire agent bashing thread. Some REA's are very impressive vendor representatives and do a stellar job of extracting every last cent out of the purchasers. After all, if they didn't and negotiating was deadset easy, we'd all be selling our own properties.

And as for Finspec's friend's unsavoury tactics (deliberately looking for loopholes in agreements to avoid paying commissions) I consider that appalling. And there are those who believe that it's REA's that lack ethics....

Here's an idea for those looking to sell properties themselves. Get a valuation done on your property then attend the local auctions (preferably in the same street) and approach the unsuccessful bidders and ask them to purchase your property. My father successfully did this when selling my grandfathers house.

I also have heard that the newspapers charge x amount for the advertisements which the realestate agents then pass on to you but then the newspapers later give the agent a rebate so you are paying more than you should.

Here's an idea for those looking to sell properties themselves. Get a valuation done on your property then attend the local auctions (preferably in the same street) and approach the unsuccessful bidders and ask them to purchase your property. My father successfully did this when selling my grandfathers house.
Interesting idea. Another one I have encountered is local agents scheduling their open houses nearby to coincide with public trustee auctions/inspections.

Interesting idea. Another one I have encountered is local agents scheduling their open houses nearby to coincide with public trustee auctions/inspections.

And one I saw the other day. A private seller standing on the footpath outside a block of units & handing out brochures for her private sale a few doors away from the agent's Open for Inspection. She was diverting lots of Agent generated foot traffic into her unit as well. Smart lady............with an overpriced unit as it turned out :(

And as for Finspec's friend's unsavoury tactics (deliberately looking for loopholes in agreements to avoid paying commissions) I consider that appalling. And there are those who believe that it's REA's that lack ethics....

I think there's some funny irony in it. Someone. Who is cutting corners to make the most out of his transaction ends up with a selling agent who is not only incompetent but was selected on those grounds. Gee, can't see how you'd lose more than you save there!

Cheers
Greg

I agree with Bayview on this. This is exactly Jenmans view on Advertising.

I sold a property a few years ago in Mentone and told the agent I did not want to pay for advertising. All i wanted was a listing on realestate.com.au, a picture in the window and a sign out the front.

He was not happy, but agreed. The sign out the front was a piddly small one. Not sure if he was trying to prove a point or reduce his costs. It still served its purpose as it made it known the place was for sale. The property sold, no problems.

In my view serious buyers are driving down the streets they want to buy in and registering with the local agents. A good agent should already know who the serious buyers in the area are. Advertising makes NO difference to serious buyers.

I must admit, I really enjoy looking at the local paper real estate guide that is funded by the vendors. It makes me feel good that my local properties are going up in value. If i wanted to buy again, i would be looking in realestate.com.au, driving the streets I like and looking in the agents windows.

Here's an idea for those looking to sell properties themselves.

I have sold a property myself, but that was a few years ago, when the newspaper was still a viable option for advertising. Really need to be on re.com.au now. I agree that an internet listing (and maybe a sign) is all that is required.

Back