Who does your childs homework?

A teacher at my school showed me a homework assignment done by a child in his class (primary school).
They had one 2 weeks ago and it was written as an 11 year old would write. This child is an average student.

This essay looks like it was written by a university graduate. The topic was "How I became famous". They had to write as if they were a famous adult now. Writing about their journey to become famous.

In the essay the child was a Nobel Laureate who had a neurology residency and a cerebrovascular fellowship. There is also medical terminology for the work she did in her post doctoral studies and highlighted words and phrases.

To me it sounds like an acceptance speech or an account of someones life (from the internet?).

So my question is. How much of your child's homework do YOU do?

My kids used to get cranky when I wouldn't DO their homework assignments. Help - yeah but not do it.
A friend of ours came around one night as his daughter had a project that she had to make something to do with wind. It was left until the last minute. So dad and my hubby made it in the garage while I minded the kid. She had NO input whatsoever.
I hate homework for that reason except for revision. You never know if the kid or the parent has done it.

I was helping my daughter with her homework once, and the question was, what is two multiplied by nothing, (2x0= )? I said the answer is two, the teacher said I was wrong and the answer is nothing. How can that be?

I certainly don't do any normal day to day homework. But sometimes I need to help my son in particular to structure his homework, and break down tasks into more manageable tasks.
With projects, I do usually need to help, because otherwise it would never get done. But I do try to make sure I'm in the background. For a "word" type assignment, I will suggest some more specific questions which he could answer as part of the assignment.
For "project" type assignments, I need to give more help.... but still try to make sure I'm not left doing it all. Our best work so far was a sumo wrestling ring, complete with "Kelly-doll" sumo wrestlers. It was a masterpiece! Mostly my ideas but he put it all together.
Pen

My son, when he was in grade two or three (aged 7 or 8) had to make a board game for an assignment. It was made clear that it was to be the work of the child. My son would NOT let me help and his game looked like a seven or eight year old had made it. Several other children had games that obviously had adult input.

One game was a rip of off Monopoly with laminated cards (done at the shopping centre by the mother while I minded the child :eek:) and very obviously the work of an adult. There was no way this could ever have been accepted as the work of the child.

I was proud of my son who would not let me even suggest ways to improve his presentation. I was APPALLED that the teacher was obviously impressed by the game that was done by the parent. The child was praised for his work. I wanted to puke.

She rarely gets it.

When she does, she does it in < 30 seconds without letting me know she has even got homework, and then I get pulled aside by the teacher saying she's rushed it and got most of it wrong. So I had a brief burst of correcting her and then haven't seen homework since.

This homework was telling time - and my offspring has a clock in her room, two watches, the kitchen clock and the microwave clock and keeps an eagle eye on all of them in sequence in true OCD style if she's waiting for something on TV, or for someone who said they'd visit "at 11". I'm the first to know if any of the timepieces dare to drift more than a few seconds apart. She can tell the time. But not a page of times in 30 seconds, apparently.

I correct the spelling in some of the stories she writes after school but they aren't technically homework. She is a prolific reader and a very bad speller - when I was 4 years younger than her I was an anally retentive spelling Nazi pedant (I've mellowed :) ) so I don't 'get it'. Only = onley, used = yoused, noone = knowone, and flicking through the dogeared remains of her diary I found on the kitchen floor she has spelt the name of her street, town, school and teacher wrong, plus sciance, pys ed, pyes ed, phs ed and phes ed all in one week and we're only in week 3.

However, she has all her assigned spelling words right :confused:

This kid needs different homework! Anyone want to swap kids?

We have a average student that produces Yr 12 level assignments also :rolleyes:.

I don't know if this was introduced because of this child and others felt pressured to do the same standard or not, but now with assignments we have to 'declare' parent input on a rating from 1 to 5.

Teachers aren't silly... if the childs work is one standard at school and another at home, well...

My sons last assignment input was a 1, and that was moreso because the model needed some adult hands to secure the thing from falling apart in transit ;).

Never been more serious in my life, what is the correct answer?

Battler, it is 0. If you get two handfuls of nothing and add them together, what do you get? Nothing.

If you multiply one lot of nothing by another lot of nothing what do you get? Nothing!

0 multiplied by anything will always be 0.

Battler, it is 0. If you get two handfuls of nothing and add them together, what do you get? Nothing.

If you multiply one lot of nothing by another lot of nothing what do you get? Nothing!

Well, it's not 0 multiplied 0, it is 2 multiplied by nothing.

Put two $100 notes on the table and multiply by nothing and what do you get?

an empty bucket of water is empty. ie zero water. or 1 x 0 = 0

5 x empty buckets are still empty ie zero water or 5 x 0 = 0

100 x empty buckets is 100 x 0 = 0

Hope an example helps

So, why did the teacher tell us we were wrong?

Because you were wrong. If you had zero lots of $100 you would have $0 ie 0 x $100 = $0

You have two lots of $100 which you cannot multiply by zero. Unless you remove them then your answer will be zero.

I think you are fighting the problem rather than just accepting it is true then trying to understand it. :)

Because you were wrong. If you had zero lots of $100 you would have $0 ie 0 x $100 = $0
But I haven't, there's two $100 notes made by the mint, they exist, I can even smell 'em.

You have two lots of $100 which you cannot multiply by zero.
I agree, so who's got them or where did they go?
Unless you remove them then your answer will be zero.
So if they're not removed, they're still there, how can the answer be 0. nothing, zilch?

I think you are fighting the problem rather than just accepting it is true then trying to understand it. :)
I understand it, but it seems the teacher doesn't.:)

I was helping my daughter with her homework once, and the question was, what is two multiplied by nothing, (2x0= )? I said the answer is two, the teacher said I was wrong and the answer is nothing. How can that be?

turn the numbers around

3 x 4 = 12 3 groups of 4 = 12
3 x 3 = 12 4 groups of 3 = 12

Back