Who does your childs homework?

So if I put $200 in the bank and multiply it by 0% PA, have I got nothing after 12 months or $200?

the interst eanerd = zero

if you multitplied $200 x 2% the interest earned = $4

you're mixing it up

if you put $100 on a table and you multipled it by 2, you would have to add another $100 to the table physically

if you mulitplied the same $100 by 0, you would hve to perform the action required, which would be to tak the $100 away, the result is 0.. the result doesnt appear on it's own, you have to physcially make it occur...

I have 3 chickesn and they each LAY 3 eggs a day.. I expect 3chookc x 3 eggs= 9 eggs total

I have 1 chicken and it's sick it will lay no eggs, I expect 1 chook x 0 eggs=0eggs total

Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????;)

try to think of it like this:

$100 * 3 = $300
$100 * 2 = $200
$100 * 1 = $100
$100 * 0 = $0
$100 * -1 = -$100
$100 * -2 = -$200
$100 * -3 = -$300

I have 3 chickesn and they each LAY 3 eggs a day.. I expect 3chookc x 3 eggs= 9 eggs total

I have 1 chicken and it's sick it will lay no eggs, I expect 1 chook x 0 eggs=0eggs total

The eggs are the return from the chicken,

You still have the chook though, it's just not laying any eggs.

So if I put $200 in the bank and multiply it by 0% PA, have I got nothing after 12 months or $200?

That is $200 x (100%+0%) not $200 x 0%, as the 0% is the interest/extra return, it doesn't include the principal.

Let's say if you gamble $200 in a game where you have 0% of winning. At the end of that bet you can be assured that your $200 x 0 = 0, and your $200 will belong to the guy you bet against.

This is sooo funny.

Battler, using your examples...Yes, 2 x $100=$200, but........
2 x 0 (or nothing) = zero.

You had the 2 lots of $100 to start with (physically there) to total $200, but in the other example, you have NOTHING. Nothing x 2 (or any other number) will always give you NOTHING.

Regards
Marty

Well, it's not 0 multiplied 0, it is 2 multiplied by nothing.

Put two $100 notes on the table and multiply by nothing and what do you get?

Battler, you need to shift your thinking. If you put 2 x $100 notes on the table and want to multiple them by nothing the first thing I have to do is take the notes and put them in my pocket and then we will have nothing on the table, therefore 2 ($100) x 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

You need to think of 0 as 1 lot of "nothing", the empty bucket example was good.

cheers
Graeme:D

Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????;)

Nothing is missing here,

Room cost, $25
Returned $3
Bellhop Pocketed $2
Total $30

You just expressed it badly above :D

back to the question ... junior is only 6 so i sit with her while she's does her homework and give encouragement but only help in a physical manner (covering spelling words etc). if she has and extra assignment, i will make suggestions, and put questions to her, but the actual thinking work has to be her own. haven't had a "building" assignment yet so that will be interesting, but i think i'll do the same - suggest, question, phyically help only in an assistance manner and the work will be hers to be proud of.

battler - don't get confused by mixing up chickens with eggs ... you were only counting the end result of eggs.

if i planted 5 seeds, and none of them came up, i would have 5x0=0plants

don't count the initial seeds - count the result - 5 lots of "nothing" is still nothing. 1,9478,776 lots of "nothing" is still nothing.

Battler- the fact that there are 2 x $100 notes on the table means that you are already at $200 x1 (not x0). My desk has no money on it at all so I am at $200 x 0 until I put money on there. I am also at $50 x 0 or $1,000,000 x 0 for that matter.

I check my kids work but I don't do their homework. I've found it's no good for their self esteem if you help them too much. I guide them or make suggestions and check they haven't copied there research word for word.

I send my kids to a school with a "no homework" policy. :D Well, there's no set homework. The school's policy is to give the kids ample time to do all required work in school hours. If they choose not to do their work in class time, then the natural consequence is that they'll have to complete it at another time, eg at home.

Each child has an individual target of work to complete, so it's not the case that the kids who find the work harder always get homework and the brighter kids don't get any. After experiencing the consequences the first few times, it's pretty rare for any child to have to do any homework; they learn quickly. ;)

This thread is hilarious! I'm sure battler's having a lend of us all for the purpose of illustrating why parents perhaps shouldn't help their kids with their homework... perhaps I should ask what's the square root of -1? :D

Anyway, I was never helped with homework by my parents or hired tutors etc and I'm glad I wasn't. In my final years of high school and early uni it was painfully obvious to me the difference between those kids who were used to being coached through a problem and those who were used to muddling through by themselves.

In real life there aren't always people at your side assisting you with how to tackle seemingly incomprehensible problems. IMO it's better to get used to that at an early age so as to be able to develop the appropriate skills to respond.

Firstly I appolagise to Travelbug for what has happened to your thread.

I know your all having a great laugh at me, but that's ok I'm used to it.

The way I see it is that, zero multiplied by two or anything else equals zero.

However, two or any other number multiplied by zero remains the same.

Multiplying by zero doesn't make things vanish any more than multiplying by any other number does.

Back