2007 election 24 Nov

I strongly suspect Labor will get in.

But I'm not sure how different things will be as a result.

BTW, the official spelling of the party name is "Labor" not "Labour". I don't know why the americanisation. (Or is that americanization?)

My high school motto was "Labour Conquers All". It may happen.

Some people got it right in this thread, the others, who are obviously very out of touch with the Australian people, got it very, very wrong.

I for one am glad John has gone.

I have found myself embarrassed to be an Australian several times under his "leadership".

Good bye John!

Hey Bill

Back on Topic.

I voted Labour to win because when I spoke to the masses they don’t like Workchoices. Hate it!

We forgot here that we are a small minority of those who are in the position, financially, emotionally, intellectually, educationally and (mostly) generationally to make our own future. Many feel left out of the boom…..

A 21 year old working at a factory has little real opportunity to bargain with his employer. Take it or leave it. Rudd will reinstate some safety net.

School Teachers have strict structure and limits for career and income improvement. Rudd offered them performance based pay like the rest of us.

Pensioners cannot "play the market" or invest in IPS on the pension.

Intellectually Challenged Persons cannot hold jobs in today’s modern economy. How many do you see in your workspace?

There are the ones that voted Labour.

And even others doing well voted Labour because Howard was past use by. Green Issues, Fairness, Aboriginal Australia, Nation Building…. These issues begged for generational change in the leadership. He only took notice when it was too late to be anything but cynical.

No-one at the Liberal party was willing to give John a "tap on the shoulder" for fear of losing. They should have. Even Labour did it to Hawke for Keating (and he was loathed) and he won!

I wonder had Costello taken over when Beazley was in charge would Labour had gone to the Election with Beazley as Leader and if so, would they still be in? Maybe not but it would have been a lot closer.

A lot of commentators have been asked “when did Labour win it?”. Many answer, “when they put in Rudd”.

Peter 14.7

Rudd is a very intelligent, honest and capable man and politician. The public are yet to see the best of him and he and the labor party will blossom under his leadership.

I feel very confident for our country going forward - as a great economy and as a fair society - under this bright new leadership. To the surprise of many liberal voters they are not mutually exclusive.

And i'm really looking forward to our first female deputy showing us what she's made of.

Glad to see the end of a lying, cynical, smirking, arrogant, ultra conservative Liberal party. ( i tried to fit in a few more adjectives but i think its enough)

he seems to be a man of action, tho I am concerned abotu the ongoing cost of replacing all these computers every year - has he allowed that as arecurring expense rather than an asset purchase?

Wont be that big a hit on the budget. At the quantities they are looking at they will score them for under $1k each with what should be a 2 to 3 year lifespan.

Hi all,

In wrapping up this thread, I am still surprised at the number of people who could not separate their hearts from their heads. They wanted the coalition to win therefore that was their only choice.

I wonder how many people do likewise in their investments?? That is that they want a particular thing to happen or keep happening, yet fail to see the signs of change.

This thread just shows me that education and study are what is needed in all aspects of "prediction", whether it be who will win an election, a horse-race, or in investment/speculation. And one must always be diligent in separating heart from head.

bye

Bill

That will always be the case. Even more so in religion than in politics. The heart rules the head.

I plead guilty. I tend to vote Labor because I perceive "heart"- for the underdogs. As an employer, I really should have voted coalition, because they support business. And Workchoices, until the last "fairness" test, would have suited the profitability of my business, had I chosen to go that way.

I have a perception of the coalition tightening up entry to Australia for the really less fortunate. And trying to make things more difficult for the jobless. That may not be correct, but it does influence my vote.

The perception may not be correct. But it was Al Grassby, as immigration minister, who introduced multiculturism as government policy. I believe that that policy made Australia a far richer place. And I also believe that, without that policy, it would have been much more difficult for my Mexican wife and myslef to live in Australia.

I did have the opportunity to persoanlly thank Mr Grassby, before his death, for that policy.

Hi Geoff,

My wife is also an immigrant, from Italy via Great Britain.

I agree with and understand your sentiments.

I have voted for many different parties in the past, this time I voted Green first with Labor second, I have never followed a "how to vote card", though this time it turned out that way.

I do not think a change of Government will make much difference to the big picture of what will happen in the future. I just wish I knew exactly what that big picture was.

bye

Dear All,

1. As I walk around the local Rockingham suburb today, some of the small business operators in the neighbourhood were telling me that they are selling off their business soon as things are getting increasingly difficult for them, especially with respect to own their staff recruitment/retention under the new workplace reforms.

2. They want a take a break now, with the new ALP Government in power.

3. Sad, isn'it it?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

FFS Kenneth - The sky isn't falling in, the Labor government will make as many mistakes as the Howard government and at the end of the day global economics will have the biggest say in what happens.

If you don't like it take your dollars elsewhere and leave this market to those of us who want to invest

have you heard of a forum called Global house price crash - i think you would enjoy it there

Dear All,

1. As I walk around the local Rockingham suburb today, some of the small business operators in the neighbourhood were telling me that they are selling off their business soon as things are getting increasingly difficult for them, especially with respect to own their staff recruitment/retention under the new workplace reforms.

3. Sad, isn'it it?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH
Yes it's sad when ANYONE loses their business.

To blame the ALP is a joke. They only came into power less than a week ago.For the business to be suffering that bad that it has to be sold, things must have been going bad for more than the last week :rolleyes:

Dear All,

3. Sad, isn'it it?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Pathetic really. The opportunities for making money right now have never been so good. If people can't keep making money in this environment they have no right calling themselves business-people. Good riddance to them.

Of all things that follow the Darwinian concept of the strongest survive. Businesses follow it to the letter.

Owners of good businesses don't just suddenly sell (or close) because things get a bit tough and business owners cant expect to operate in good times only.

Anyway, i think most SMEs will thrive under the new Labor government.

A saying i will always remember is:"Businesses don't fail, people do"

Yes it's sad when ANYONE loses their business.

To blame the ALP is a joke. They only came into power less than a week ago.For the business to be suffering that bad that it has to be sold, things must have been going bad for more than the last week :rolleyes:

Hi Kissfan,

1. I do no think that the business operator is actually "blaming" the ALP Govt as what you are suggesting here.

2. I mention this because I sort of notice that even some of the local Australian investors/business operators has sort of "lost" their/his own investors/business confidence, following the change in Govt.

3. This particular business operator has even proceeded to sell off 2 of his own properties in Perth recently, following the Election outcome.

4. His business is presently thriving. Why would he all of a sudden, want to close down his profitable business in this case??? ( and then plan to subsequently return to re-start his business again after the ALP Govt is no longer in power?)

5. Whether he is right or wrong in his business decison, only TIME will tell ultimately.

6. However, I will not want to suggest here that he is "irrational" nor "impulsive" in making the decision. On the contrary, I suspect that I am seeing an highly shrewd and a wise, astute investor/business operator taking a well-calculated risk, in quickly and quietly exiting out from the present market for the time being, only to plan for its bigger comeback to the same market, in later years eventually.

7. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

John Howard, finally, will be going!

Australia deserves better. Australia deserves a Prime Minister who can talk straight to them, who'll take responsibility, and who they can take on his word.

Ordinary Australians are paying the price of John Howard's dishonesty and broken promises.

Great post KB,
I didn't have to vote this time around, but would have voted Liberal, having been an employer for many years.

Sadly, I don't think it matters who is at the top anymore. The differences between the parties is almost gone, as they both posture and scheme to do whatever it takes to stay in the job for another term.

Yes, we are becoming the United States of Australia.

Don't get your hopes up over "Lapdance Kev".

Incidentally, if you thought G.W Bush was Johnny's mate; there was not a single word metioned on tv here about our elections.

We are meaningless to the Yanks, other than Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee). Kev's got a lot of work to do just to even get close to Little Johhnie's anonymity over here.

Last edited:

Hi Kissfan,

1. I do no think that the business operator is actually "blaming" the ALP Govt as what you are suggesting here.

2. I mention this because I sort of notice that even some of the local Australian investors/business operators has sort of "lost" their/his own investors/business confidence, following the change in Govt.

3. This particular business operator has even proceeded to sell off 2 of his own properties in Perth recently, following the Election outcome.

4. His business is presently thriving. Why would he all of a sudden, want to close down his profitable business in this case??? ( and then plan to subsequently return to re-start his business again after the ALP Govt is no longer in power?)

5. Whether he is right or wrong in his business decison, only TIME will tell ultimately.

6. However, I will not want to suggest here that he is "irrational" nor "impulsive" in making the decision. On the contrary, I suspect that I am seeing an highly shrewd and a wise, astute investor/business operator taking a well-calculated risk, in quickly and quietly exiting out from the present market for the time being, only to plan for its bigger comeback to the same market, in later years eventually.

7. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH
On point 1. Don't know why they are selling then.
On point 2. Their problem then. Maybe shouldn't be running a business.
On point 3. See above.
On point 4. Don't know. Doesn't make (good business) sense in my opinion.
On point 5. Agree.
On point 6. I would suggest he is "irrational" & "impulsive".

The above is in no way meant to offend you Kenneth, as I realise you are entitled to your opinions just like everyone else here.

Regards
Marty

as long as working families are looked after we can all sleep well

not sure if I am one of them but am looking forward to the price of fuel coming down

Back