$5million net equity in 5 years

April 2001 I settled IP #1. Bought PPOR only months earlier. 2 days before New Year, 2001.

Perth market was moving quickly and I was learning all I could. Reading heaps of books and chomping at the bit. Realised I could buy again. Settled that in July 2001. Bought two more in 2002. A few more in the following years. Perth prices going ballistic. Over 30% per annum for a while. Even when the media was saying the boom must have been finished, prices went up 36% the next year! (And I hadn't stopped.)

Following the basic strategy of re-valuing and buying more property there was a million equity after 3 years. (And the older model Ferrari was bought then, for those who remember.) Another million after 4 years. A third million after 5 years - 2006. Growth has slowed since then and I am in a consolidation phase. (And pursuing other interests too. This month I go to Europe for a holiday.) Owe lots of money but the larger portfolio value means it is a simple matter of time before there is a good jump in equity. (And latest REIWA figures show good growth still in suburbs I've invested in.)

Have large buffer of borrowed money (that is spare or unused loans). So sleep well at night and although could buy a few more houses anytime, prefer to keep the big buffer. I can go and lie on the beach for a 5 years and it will all pay for itself the whole time if I choose to - I don't use the equity for this though, I prefer to service the loans. A serious investor might tell me I have wasted equity but I'm very happy with position. :) (In my ignorance, granted.)

Five million equity in 10 years from starting looks easy from here.

Learn heaps and go for it. I like that comment about the best investment is in yourself.

I haven't done any renovations or developments. Nothing off the plan. Just average houses in average suburbs - except with better than average growth. Property managers look after the houses. I just manage the cashflow. I used to be on an average salary, now I'm a different person and a well paid consultant/contractor.

Best wishes to all.

Good onya Pete. That was a good read.....although I have read on numerous occassions that apparently people who invested in Perth over the last boom don't really count as you simply had an easy ride. Would you agree with that ??

Sitting on some European beach letting a PM manage your portfolio whilst you sip on a martini.....gotta be happy with that image !!! :D

Hi Dazzling.

An easy ride! You've got to be joking. Actually I reckon it was!! :p Long years of having virtually no wealth and then in a couple of years it appears out of thin air. It really wasn't hard to do.

Surely heaps of Perth investors made easy millions? I hope so, anyway.

Enjoying every day, mate. Whatever happens. Like you do, eh? :D

regards, P

If you can hold enough growth properties through a boom then you will go a long way towards your goal. But you really need to be sharp about when to buy and to quickly take that equity and multiply. As Y-Man said if the timing is all wrong then you may be sitting flat for some time. If you have the time and energy to add value that will increase the speed.

We started really slow but once we got real (and I left my job to focus on creating wealth) the snowball effect was amazing to watch. But 5 million over 5 years means growing at a million per year and that would be a challenge. You would need a sizable portfolio to see that level of growth.

GoAnna.

Yes, 'the snowball effect was amazing to watch'.

Actually the thread was mis-titled. The earliest posts describe M$5 in 10 years.

More realistic for the hares?

Regards

Achieved 10 years ago with 30 acres at Dural gifted from loving parents. Thanks mum.

Hi Coastymike

Thinking out load here for another situation, but is "gifted" the gem here in passing on the asset?

In a normal situation Stamp Duty, CGT etc would be payable

PS: Great Story Pete

Thanks Pete for sharing your great story!

In Perth, what types of dwellings did you buy in Perth that gave you the most capital growth eg close to the mining towns or cbd, houses on big land or block of units or new townhouses...etc..

Is it possible to duplicate this in the next 10 years, given that we are experiencing some flat growth in the near future. Also do you guys think Adelaide is the next Perth in terms of capital growth due to the mining boom?

cheers
TAG

You do realise there's no mines in or near Adelaide? In SA, the mines are in dingo woop-woop and people fly in from Adelaide. Myself, I'm in the back of beyond, on the other side of the ranges to the Olympic Dam mines, so no mining boom here.

If you're into mining, buy where there are actually mines or refineries. Whyalla/Port Augusta would have been great places to buy a year or three ago, Whyalla in particular is going at a ridiculous rate at the moment, the population there is strongly going up with the mining boom after decades of slow decline. It has a steel factory and is near a bunch of iron ore mines.

Great story Pete, thanks for sharing.

RE, Perth's market didn't rocket because all the mines were within driving distance of the CBD. Same will happen in SA. A lot of miners families will be located in Adelaide while the guys do the fly in/fly out deal. Plus you have all the extra cash floating around the whole SA economy, not just the mining ports.

Thanks Pete for sharing your great story!

In Perth, what types of dwellings did you buy in Perth that gave you the most capital growth eg close to the mining towns or cbd, houses on big land or block of units or new townhouses...etc..

Is it possible to duplicate this in the next 10 years, given that we are experiencing some flat growth in the near future. Also do you guys think Adelaide is the next Perth in terms of capital growth due to the mining boom?

cheers
TAG

You're welcome, TAG.

Mainly I bought average houses near the beach ~1 hour south of Perth. No units, townhouses or such. The northern edges of Mandurah. A suburban train line has been built there in the last couple of years. The whole coastal strip there has seen excellent capital growth - say from Mandurah to Rockingham. Though all of Perth has seen great capital growth over the last 6 years. And a near city, suburban quarter acre block with a run down old house.

The boom seems like a once in a lifetime boom. So, I'd say duplicating that in the next ten years is very unlikely.

I can not comment on Adelaide - don't know enough about it.

HTH

I 'made' it in 3 years. I purchased $50,000 worth of Fortescue Metals shares in 2005 @ 30c each. thats 160,000 shares. Now they are worth $12 each.

Easy to do really. :D

forget the hastles with property!

I 'made' it in 3 years. I purchased $50,000 worth of Fortescue Metals shares in 2005 @ 30c each. thats 160,000 shares. Now they are worth $12 each.

Actually they split their shares earlier this year...(but you'd kow that) your 160,000 odd shares were actully valued somewhere near $110 ea. So somewhere near $17.6mil. Then they did a 1:10 split (or something similar) so your original 160,000 shares are now 1,600,000 shares valued at $12ea...about $19.2mil...But as I said, you already knew this.

what are you doing hanging around property forums...shouldnt you have your own island or something

If you're into mining, buy where there are actually mines or refineries. Whyalla/Port Augusta would have been great places to buy a year or three ago, Whyalla in particular is going at a ridiculous rate at the moment, the population there is strongly going up with the mining boom after decades of slow decline. It has a steel factory and is near a bunch of iron ore mines.

So would you stil buy in Whyalla? The rents seem to be very decent, commensurate for a regional I suppose. But theres still a few properties for sale on reasonable prices hence its not like a Karratha where you'd be lucky to be able to hire a tin shed for less than $500 a week.

Stop teasing mate, I want to slash my wrist everytime I look at the FMG share price... against the bank portfolio over that time.

Actually they split their shares earlier this year...(but you'd kow that) your 160,000 odd shares were actully valued somewhere near $110 ea. So somewhere near $17.6mil. Then they did a 1:10 split (or something similar) so your original 160,000 shares are now 1,600,000 shares valued at $12ea...about $19.2mil...But as I said, you already knew this.

what are you doing hanging around property forums...shouldnt you have your own island or something

Yep,

10 for 1 split

They are at $10 ATM after hitting a high of around $12 (I bailed out again taking some profit at $11.70).

There would be some interesting stories around of people who have done well with this company as well as others who've kicked themselves for one reason or another...Didn't think I'd see them hit these highs

Who needs Powerball?

For me to do something like this it would be gambling!

How did you pick this company and what gave you the confidence to buy $50,000 of their shares?

Back