$85k pa and living pay chq to pay chq

Again it could just be Adelaide.

First few pages on gumtree show charges of between $10 and $45ph - at a quick glance 1@$10ph, 2@$15ph, 2@$25ph, 1@$40ph and 1@$45ph.

The boy I mentioned who was earning 55K at a big accounting firm is/was following in his father footsteps but is having second thoughts, as father works interstate as a COO for a listed company and flies home every weekend and he can now see how stressed dad is whereas he didn't recognise the stress previously - so mum was telling me.

Apparently he is reassessing where he wants to be in the future.

Few jobs like the fathers here in Adelaide which probably reflects in incomes (less top tier jobs) and what you can charge.

No one is angry or sensitive about your accomplishments, everyone for their own for that matter, in fact, no one really cares. but when you are making claims over and above the norm, (e.g.: 80k as a student), you will be challenged, simple as that

Good for you!!
What he said.

Given that most folk breathing air are not making much more than about $50k per year, and it is still the caser that someone making $100k or more is in the higher bracket, it would tweak the radar when someone says it's common for a student to earn $80k plus.

Anyway enough from me on this topic. Obviously very sensitive and some people are either angry or upset. That's why they say tall poppy is big issue these days and holding back progress.
Nothing Tall Poppy about it at all...

A number of us saw a description of a scenario that most would agree is well outside the norm, and challenged it.

To say students can earn upwards of $80k is common...I would disagree - more likely the exception, I would have thought.

It's like when someone says they own 15 properties by the age of 25, etc - and they do pop up now and again. Not saying it isn't possible, but very unlikely for most folk...given we all know how hard it is to earn huge incomes (legally and through normal channels) as a younger adult.

Generally - a statement like that is going to make folk go; "What?...how?"

How many 25 year olds do we all know that have the resources, or the knowledge, or the inclination as well - to pull off a result like that? I know none...Nathan on this site maybe, but I don't know him personally/socially.

Maybe there are 25 year olds who have done it - but with help....not the same thing.

Graduate IT rolls today look to start in the 50k - 60+K range... Give them a year or two and they'd be off 'graduate' status and be on 100k+ total on target earnings with a commission component.

A friend, 22, no formal study, 100% self taught, just moved to Sydney and landed a $75k job in IT. He was following in the footsteps of one of his mates who made the same move (and started on even more) a few months prior.

If you tutor 1+ kids at the same time, and it you get paid $100 total per hour, you are still making $100 per hour.
So it is possible.

I watched Our America with Lisa Ling last night. It was about families who are/were caught in the middle of the economic crisis. For the most part, it had a similar theme. They all thought the good times would last forever, and none prepared for the future.
The lady at the foodbank stated these type of people have a harder time adjusting, because it happens to them very quickly, whereas the generational poor, don't know any other life.

I hope when people watched that show, they saw themselves in it, and had a 'lightbulb' moment..and decided to prepare for the future.

Bump!

I think some of the posts here highlight the different social circles people move in. If all of your friends are doctors, engineers, in finance and IT then earning more than 100k a year probably isn't a big deal as a graduate. But lets be honest, its not realistic for a lot of graduates. For people like me, 100k is still a huge number.

It took me until my late 20s to hit the 85k mark after studying 5 years at University and I feel very fortunate. The majority of the population would probably not earn more than 50-60k a year, if that when you break it down. There are lots of people getting by on 45k with families and a mortgage to look after.

Certainly no one I knew was earning 70k + at University, pretty rare if you ask me :eek::eek:

I have 2 daughters ( gen y). The eldest is working away in the mines as a Human resource manager ($100,000) a year. The youngest 24 a school teacher in Sh?tney (62,000) p.a. Both have recently purchased property on the Mid North Coast with their respective partners. I feel a lot comes down to background. Winners associate with winners, normally.

I think some of the posts here highlight the different social circles people move in.

It's more the mindset of most of the people on here. DB stated he was making 80K as a student, which is entirely possible. He didn't say a thing about it being from a paid job. Could've been coming from a business he established at 14 and worked on part time.

THIS is what parents should be teaching their children. Start businesses as early as possible, get out of the mindset of 'go to school, get good grades, get a high paying job'. Those days are over. Middle class jobs are going overseas, kids are going to Uni, racking up debt and walking out into a world where the demand for them is dropping like a stone.

Encourage your kids to be business owners, not the schlub that goes in everyday to make money for someone else, praying they're going to have a job tomorrow. Formal schooling is nothing but a conformity factory designed to mass produce robots that are totally docile and incapable of independent thinking. Download podcasts about business and being an entrepreneur, encourage them to develop ideas for new businesses and help them financially getting started up.

A 12 year old kid can teach themselves programming and by 15 be at the stage where they contract out their services at a minimum of $100 per hour. At 15! To make 80K, that translates to a little over 15 hours a week of chargeable hours. That's just one idea. I recommend people go to www.stansberryradio.com and download James Altucher's podcasts and listen to his interviews with business owners and discover the possibilities that are available.

A 12 year old kid can teach themselves programming and by 15 be at the stage where they contract out their services at a minimum of $100 per hour. At 15! To make 80K, that translates to a little over 15 hours a week of chargeable hours.
I started programming in primary school and landed my first I.T. related job when I was 14 or 15. Of course it was a long time ago, so I wasn't earning anything like $100 per hour. I won't say how long ago that was ;)

I started programming in primary school and landed my first I.T. related job when I was 14 or 15. Of course it was a long time ago, so I wasn't earning anything like $100 per hour. I won't say how long ago that was ;)

Probably before australia started even using $ :)

Probably before australia started even using $ :)
back-in-my-day_o_244475.jpg

Bump!

I think some of the posts here highlight the different social circles people move in. If all of your friends are doctors, engineers, in finance and IT then earning more than 100k a year probably isn't a big deal as a graduate. But lets be honest, its not realistic for a lot of graduates. For people like me, 100k is still a huge number.

On this forum, what many of us are trying to achieve is 100k in passive income, per year, every year, indexed to inflation over time. Not so much concerned about 100k p.a. in active income.

On this forum, what many of us are trying to achieve is 100k in passive income, per year, every year, indexed to inflation over time. Not so much concerned about 100k p.a. in active income.

No!

You've been told over & over, that is what YOU want to achieve. We all have different goals.

Some are more than happy with $70-$80k in today's money, some $100k, some more. Some want a paid off PPOR, some are happy to rent. Some want to retire overseas & can quite comfortably live on $30k or less.

No!

You've been told over & over, that is what YOU want to achieve. We all have different goals.

Some are more than happy with $70-$80k in today's money, some $100k, some more. Some want a paid off PPOR, some are happy to rent. Some want to retire overseas & can quite comfortably live on $30k or less.

I did say many of us, not all of us. And even those that say they are happy with 70-80k, they would be ecstatic with 100k.

I did say many of us, not all of us. And even those that say they are happy with 70-80k, they would be ecstatic with 100k.

I would be ecstatic China, but I'm not going to bust my gut trying to achieve it when $70 to $80K in today's money would be heaps.

Back