Building a Granny Flat

I've sent these plans to my property agent who reckons that it will rent in the vicinity of $350 to $400 per week given its got its own street frontage and own backyard (the existing house currently rents for $430 per week).

will the council actually allow you to rent it separately? in the area i was lookign to do this they were really anti granny flats, had to sign all sorts of commitments and I think they added it as a caveat to the title as well?

Not sure what their 'standard' design was.
But I quite like your design as it has a few 'etiquette' pointers:
- when someone steps inside the house I dont want the kitchen to be the first to greet them. rather prefer the living room straight up.
- I dont like the idea of accessing the bathroom via the kitchen
- higher ceilings? most definitely

What i meant was the quote based on the designs they had on their website? If so which one.

My initial design had all these flaws you mentioned, but that was due to trying to maximise space while keeping within the 60sqm (ie the bedrooms opening to the living areas and kitchen and access to the toilet was thru the kitchen.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=641249&postcount=64
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=644695&postcount=84

Serge (the draftsman) some how managed to fit all the stuff I wanted (eg decent size of all rooms and living areas) while keeping those little etiquette things in mind not to mention keeping the design as close to a rectangle to minimise construction costs . Pure genius!

will the council actually allow you to rent it separately? in the area i was lookign to do this they were really anti granny flats, had to sign all sorts of commitments and I think they added it as a caveat to the title as well?
I called up Parramatta council in regards to this matter. Their words were along the lines of "you can rent it out if you want, thats none of our business"

Last edited:
These are for the resultant landscaped area for the entire property.

Yes, depends on lot size, location and the articulation of the structures.

17 Principal private open space

(1) A lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling is carried out must have at least 24 square metres of principal private open space.(2)
In this clause, principal private open space means:
(a) an area that is directly accessible from, and adjacent to, a habitable room, other than a bedroom, and
(b) is at least 4 metres wide, and
(c) is not steeper than 1:50 gradient.

Hi Brazen,
I find this part unclear. Is there only a requirement for a single 24m space for the whole site, I guess to be shared by both dwellings? And goes the GF have to have direct access to the 24m space, or only the main house does?

Hi twodogs,

This clause is only refering to the new granny flat alone. It must have a door directly accesible to a 4 m x 6 m (minimum) area. The idea is to stop people having just one door opening to the side setback area.

Remember that 50% of the minimum landscaped area (around 25%,depending on lot size) must still be in the rear yard and cant be an accumulation of 'strips' of narrow turf. It must be minimum 2.5 m wide...

What I do a lot these days is this: Instead of providing the minimum 3 mtr rear setback as required by the SEPP, I encourage the client to go for a 4 m rear setback so that the back door (usually a slider) opens to this area and provides:
1. The area listed above
2. An adequate and private rear courtyard
3. A clothes drying area which also meets BASIX.
4. Allowance for a higher dwelling than the minimum 3.8 m; which is often not enough allowance. This means the dwelling can have the higher 2.7 m walls AND the full 22 deg pitch on the roof :)

You can't 'turn a corner' to access this minimum area even if its only a few feet away.

So it's just an area that, as a minimum size of 24 sq m, must be directly accesible from a living area. Also, the 4 x 6 area doesn't have to be turfed.

I hope this clarifies it.

Hi twodogs,

This clause is only refering to the new granny flat alone. It must have a door directly accesible to a 4 m x 6 m (minimum) area. The idea is to stop people having just one door opening to the side setback area.

I hope this clarifies it.

Great answer as always. One more question (as always). I have not seen a requirement for the POS to be screened, so can the 4x6 be in the secondary street setback (not in the primary of course)? So build the flat at a 4m setback instead of 3m.

Great answer as always. One more question (as always). I have not seen a requirement for the POS to be screened, so can the 4x6 be in the secondary street setback (not in the primary of course)? So build the flat at a 4m setback instead of 3m.

lol twodogs I dont mind :)
Yes, the PPOS of min. 4 m x 6 m can be anywhere it meets the condition, including the front or side setback areas.

Back