Construction Cost

price per square metre (rather than square) can generally be anything from $1,200 upwards. as a rule of thumb $1,200/m2 will get you a basic fitout of tile/carpet floors, laminate benchtops etc - basic rental standard - including colourbond fencing, concrete drive, letterboxes and turf.

however, the sky is the limit depending on the quality of fitout you are after.

$1200....who does that?

I'm currently sourcing fees from builders and no one will even look at below $2000...I'm talking inner-north Brissie here....and we're not even talking premium quality....these guys have it too good at the moment and they know they can pick and choose....

maybe I've been talking to the wrong sharks.....:(

Maybe you guys should move to Perth ...

You can get a fully completed single story home ready to live in with air con, alarm, dishwasher in double brick for around $860m2 ... Full display spec (High ceilings, granite benches Euro appliances) for $950m2

I would have thought Melb with brick vaneer construction would be less?? :confused:

$1200....who does that?

I'm currently sourcing fees from builders and no one will even look at below $2000...I'm talking inner-north Brissie here....and we're not even talking premium quality....these guys have it too good at the moment and they know they can pick and choose....

maybe I've been talking to the wrong sharks.....:(

unfortunately it is a couple of local building companies - no one in brisbane.

Sorry to dig the old post.
Could someone please recommend Townhouse/Multi Dwelling builder in Melbourne area.
How muh construction cost is average now a days.
Any help is much appreciated.

Wow, you guys pay way too much compared to us :eek:

One thing i noticed in reading the previous posts that has not been mentioned but i would consider part of the build costs are the footings and what these come in at. Eg. We have never paid more than about $850/m2 for any of the homes we build (this is all inclusive of floor coverings, appliances etc...basically a house finished so you can move into but excluding the externals such as paving, landscaping etc) AND, our quality is always better than the Fairmont/Weeks Peacock/World Concept/Sterling homes (lots of upgrades)...but this figure changes significantly depending on where the site is. One recent example of ours is the footings allowance in the build of $850/m2 was i think 550 deep but when the engineers report came back, the PC allowance on our footings became an extra $17K/house. But then another house we built a few suburbs over we only had to pay $1K/house extra for the footings as it was only slightly over the allowance.

Very hard to know exactly what you'll be up for because it all depends on the soil/engineers report but as for the house iteself, i would say if you're in Adelaide paying any more than $900/m2 would be too high for a finished house......mind you if you don't shop around, you could easily be getting hundreds of quotes back over the $1200/m2 mark...you just have to invest in the time to shop around the hundreds if not thousands of different builders out there....its worth it in the end if you're going to be in it for the long term

Thanks Kimanand.

I am attaching the site area (dimesions etc.).
The development is in Melbourne.
So far i have contacted couple of builders here in Melbourne and they are giving me a rough estimate of $700,000 Plus.
Now this is way too much what i gathered from here.
Total Building area is only 450m2 or 50sq approx.
Any suggestions/recommendations please.

Attachments

• site area.jpg
    site area.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 489
$700K :eek:

Hmmm, if you're intention is to build and sell and not live in it there's no way i'd be paying anywhere close to that!

Only advice would be to shop around!!! From what i've heard, Melbourne builders aren't all that different to Adelaide builders (price-wise). I too could probably quite easily find a builder in Adelaide that will charge me $700K for what you're proposing too but there should be a handful of builders who are alot more reasonable than that. I would guess that the bigger building companies would be cheaper than that.

Shop around :)

2 storey Construction Cost per sqm

Guys, Can you advise what would be the estimated construction cost for a proposed 2 storey extension of 70 sqm (ground floor) 65 sqm (second floor) in a typical suburb in Perth? We are planning to build a second living area with a master bedroom ++ built on top of it. The renovation / modification to the existing building will be very minimum.

Regards,
Lex

I just came back from a meeting with a builder... no relation to extensions but they said new build 2 storeys are costing $4000/sqm.

I just came back from a meeting with a builder... no relation to extensions but they said new build 2 storeys are costing $4000/sqm.

Ausprop,
That's way too high. I have a 370 square meter house, two story. By your calculations, it would cost $1.48Mil to build. Replacement cost to build my house is somewhere around $550,000 so closer to $1500 per square meter. You can get cheaper out there too, anywhere from $1000 to $2000 psm should cover most builds, with the exception of the really schmicko quality stuff.

Boods

BTW...these are Perth prices...

Last edited:
Replacement cost to build my house is somewhere around $550,000 so closer to $1500 per square meter. You can get cheaper out there too, anywhere from $1000 to $2000 psm should cover most builds,

am just wondering when you built?

my insurer recently assessed my house and forced me to up my replacement value. it puts a value of roughly $3600sqm on it.

it's hard to imagine a 2 storey build at $1000sqm, even a cheap single level home with a project builder will set you back this. i.e. a celebrations special, roughly 200sqm = roughly $200k.

building costs are funny things - such wildly differing estimates everywhere!

OK! as a builder i might be able to fill in some ?
There are many numbers floating around at the moment, and the variables are vast, eg1, 100m2 house with 40m2 garage, i am building one at the moment, it is rendered finnish, dual occy, the awkwardness of the site is that all survices are running through the boundry of the original home, their are tennents so the common areas must be available for them, steel lintels above every window, 6 hipped roof, concrete tiles, all plumbing,gas sewer costs are on me air cond inlc, i must pay the certifier.i have charged $1,500 m2 for this home,
For it to be cheaper, but still 100m2 and a 40m2 garage, the owner could have done ..... basic tile roof 1 valley not 6, saves, 3k, no lintels over the windows , saves, 2k, no rendered finnish saves 5k, nil panel lift door saves 1k, done heating but no air cond saves, 4.5k , being on a single block and basic services would have saved 4k, the windows are non std and have heat resistants in them had they been std sizes and basic glass this would have saved, another 4k, so there is about 20k difference in this one this way,
But lets go the other way, same size, but adding bi-fold pannel doors, add 4k, face brick and rendered, add 2k, full best money can buy air cond, add 5k glass splash backs, and stone bench tops adds 5k , lifting the rate for pc,s will add 8k, full double glazing adds 6k panel lift withe remote adds 2k , going to 2.7 meter ceilings adds 10k, so by adding this sort of add ons increases the price by 42k but thats about $2,000 m2 well that and the ability of a builder to sell is how you buy homes, houses do not realy come in matalic paint, sports stearing wheel options, its not likr a part is pulled off a shelf and replaced with another one, but thats how some companys try to sell them, its more complicated than that.
If i were a buyer the questions i would ask are, this is going to be a rental property so what would you do? from the start , before the plan comes together, or the other way this will be our dream home what would you do? simple questions but thats the secret to saving some $$$ on building your new home. i hope this helps, i did'nt proof read it so good luck?
craigb.;)

am just wondering when you built?

my insurer recently assessed my house and forced me to up my replacement value. it puts a value of roughly $3600sqm on it.

it's hard to imagine a 2 storey build at $1000sqm, even a cheap single level home with a project builder will set you back this. i.e. a celebrations special, roughly 200sqm = roughly $200k.

building costs are funny things - such wildly differing estimates everywhere!

Ausprop,
I built my house four years ago, contract price was $270K. This figure does not iclude floor coverings, internal painting, landscaping etc, we ended up spending about $70K finishing it off. My FIL is a new homes salesman for Beaumonde Homes and these are the figures that he has indicated to me , using their most recent sales prices as a guide. I've even done a stint in the display home but really didn't enjoy it:(
As for Celebrations, I've built 6 houses with them over the last few years and agree that $200k for a 200sqm house is about on the money, however, this would include all internal/external finishes ie turn key.

Boods

How do you apply the psm rate if you plan to build a double storey addition? Someone said the rate for the upper floor would be slightly higher.
Are the costs going to be reduced substantially if you just want the bare building only?

so if renos are say 50% above new builds, would we say $3000sqm for additions etc? medium level of finish. no finish $2500sqm?

I am thinking of a 3rd level addition, just an extra living room. am guessing $200k? a 10 x 10 room, could be more like $250k

We just won a tender to build 100 town houses in the northern suburbs of Brisbane. The average square meter rate came to around $1000/ sqm. This price does not include landscaping or driveway however it does have a 32000L water tank under each garage slab.

The internal fit out will be to a very good standard with the following inclusions:
2 pack kitchens
stone tops
quality stainless steel appliances
vanities in stone and 2 pack
fully ducted digital scroll a/c system
aluminum privacy screens
crim safe security screens
rendered finish
2 panel lift garage doors with remote per unit
stainless steel balustrades
porcelain tiles to entry living and dining
carpets
semi frame less shower screens

These townhouses are around 200sqm in size therefore, a smaller dwelling could have a slightly higher sqm rate to build.

Currently building a 328 square metre (incl garage and alfresco) single storey house in Perth. Total cost is $270,000 for the house. So equates to $823 a square metre. House includes 31c ceilings to all but 3 minor bedrooms and bathroom, stone bench tops and $12k worth of appliances in kitchen, site costs, full landscaping & reticulation, fencing, quality flooring and window treatments, upgraded lighting (downlights etc) and reverse cycle air conditioning.

Have just completed two side-by-side two-storey, 4 bedroom x 3 bathroom townhouses (220m2 floor area each) in southwest suburb of Melbourne.

High spec fitout including aircon, polished boards, SS appliances, landscaping, paving and fitout. Building contract was approx $320,000 each thereby making construct cost approx $1450/m2.

Note this did not include consultants fees (architect, surveyors, local council etc).

Currently building a 328 square metre (incl garage and alfresco) single storey house in Perth. Total cost is $270,000 for the house. So equates to $823 a square metre. House includes 31c ceilings to all but 3 minor bedrooms and bathroom, stone bench tops and $12k worth of appliances in kitchen, site costs, full landscaping & reticulation, fencing, quality flooring and window treatments, upgraded lighting (downlights etc) and reverse cycle air conditioning.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

Back