Credit card working for you!

find another provider, as this 9mth 0% promotion is only for a limited time. As santaslayer said, we need to watch out on the number of enquiries that appear on our Veda Advantage statement, as lenders can refuse to give you loan based on this. (I'm a victim of this, as PMI was scared of my credit history and was very reluctant to give me any more loan).

then we will hit a brick wall then, only good for couple of month...

might use the strategy for big balance deposit then ? and when interest is high....

then we will hit a brick wall then, only good for couple of month...

might use the strategy for big balance deposit then ? and when interest is high....

just use this strategy sparingly. I suspect that as lending criteria tightens, 0% balance transfer offers may be few and far in between, as opposed to what happened during the boom time. The last time I saw it was HSBC that still had 6 months 0% promotion.. Not sure about now

Warning on 0% balance transfers.

Many cards will charge 0% on the balance for 6 months or more, so you transfer $9,000 at 0% interest. You then draw down $1000 for a purchase and your assumption is because this is not a balance transfer you pay interest on it. To avoid the interest you pay off the $1000 as quickly as possible.

What actually happens is your 0% balance transfer is now $8,000 and you continue to pay interest on the $1000 you spent. The repayments you make go straight to the 0% portion, not to the additional credit to took out later.

The calculation on credit cards is often very complex and almost never understood by the consumer.

I do use a credit card, but my limit is half my monthly income so there's absolutely no chance I can not afford to clear it every single month.

G'day folk,

I recently aquired my first credit card (never used one before). It came as apart of CBA's pro package (holdings over 150k)...i had a quick yarn to the homeloans manager about it (Gold card) as i have always held a negitive view towards them and considered them a tool for massing debt.

Does anyone have tips for making my new credit card work for me? I understand that i can make purchases/pay bills on it and accumulate points to redeem as rewards (which i could use to discount real life needs eg. car servicing)

So other then paying bills and getting points etc does anyone have creative ways of making it work for you?

Cheers,

Ridin-High

Credit cards can be really helpful, provided you pay them off within those 55 days of interest free. If you go over, then you will be charged.

I use mine to pay for those things that I didnt expect to buy... then I pay the card off within 2-3 weeks max. They can also be really useful to pay for car insurance and so on.

Works great for me.

PT_Bear's warning above is very timely - the Brisbane Courier Mail had an article this morning by Scott Pape (The Barefoot Investor) in which he wrote of exactly this. But beware: a friend of ours got caught by one of these "interest-free balance transfers". If you are going to down this path, don't fall into the trap of putting purchases on this card. You have to make an initial purchase to activate the card, I believe, but keep it small ($10 or so) so that the interest you pay is minimized - then pay it all off as soon as you can!!! Personally, I would not go down this path - but I understand that it's an option which may work for some.

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Ayone gone past harvey norman, any other electronic store and see the 36 months interest free period (by getting a GE credit card with exorbitant interest rate)?

Great gimmick.. They charge for paying them back!

Interesting post, we have a credit card which we pay off evey month, average spend $2000 - $3000. Being thinking about a qantas frequent flyer card for a while now, any recommendations on which card?
I would start off with a Westpac Earth card to get free membership to Qantas FF (worth $82.50). The annual fee for the card is $49. There are promotions from time to time offering things like no annual fee for the first year, bonus FF points etc. Look at the site below for details.

The best card for Qantas FF points is the Qantas Amex card... There is a promotion currently on for no annual fee for the first year and 5000 bonus Qantas FF points. There are different versions of this card, so best to research which one suits you best.

A great site for researching the Qantas FF programme and getting the best reward points is:
www.frequentflyer.com.au/community

You can go to each of the reward programmes and look for current promotions and details of how to maximise your FF points.

Credit cards are great, their basically giving you free money...
This is very true if you are disciplined enough to handle them correctly. If you tend to spend frivolously, then it is good to cut them up but if you know how how make them work for you, they are fantastic.

Seeing this old cc thread has been bumped:

Qantas FF may want to take a look at the Qantas site for the Amex Ultimate card. You need to be a new Amex cc customer (but i think existing Amex charge card may be ok?). Spend $4000 over 3 mths and get 50,000 points! That amount of points is enough to convince me to close my existing card & hop over to this one. Of course, read the T & C. Annual fee: $450 Min. income: $65k etc, etc.

Are many here doing the below?

1. All income earnt goes to offset a/c
2. All expenses for the month paid on credit card with 30 day interest free period
3. At end of interest free period money is drawn from offset to pay card balance.

Hi Ms Jade,

Like the sound of that card! Great for investors/business owners with lots of bills. A surgeon I used told me him and his wife use a Qantas ff for all business costs and they get several o/s trips/yr! I guess they would have large expenses but also well and truly enough income to pay off each month so cc are great if you have financial will power to not spend on frivolous items!

Back