Duplex Development

I am hoping to get some thoughts, ideas, advice regarding my plans to carry out a dual occupancy development to keep as an investment rather than subdividing and selling.

I am currently looking at a property with 800m2 as a potential site. It has an existing residence at the front, rented at $200pw. I dont have an idea of internal condition as the tenants wont allow the agent to take photos for me and I live in Sydney. I can only assume from the rental figure that it is average to poor condition. The area available at the rear is approx 380m2 which seems big enough to build on. I am doing my figures on a purchase price of $250k.

I am estimating a cost of $150k to build a 3 bedroom home with LUG. Would this be realistic?

I have been quoted by an external consultant $15000 draw up all the plans and submit them to council which includes all the surveys, designs and reports including the building permit. Do you think this is a good price?

Total cost of construction plus landscaping, paving plus say $20k on renovation of the front house comes to just over $200k. I should get approx $500pw return from both houses upon completion.

I have not done anything like this before and as such wanted to ask about any tips, tricks or traps etc.

I am thinking about approaching a display home builder (what do you call them?) to see if they would do the development. Do you think this is a good idea? Does anyone know if this type of builder does all the DA, BA work as well?

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

Thankyou very much for any time you put into this situation for me.

Andrew

I am estimating a cost of $150k to build a 3 bedroom home with LUG. Would this be realistic?
Maybe a bit light-on but reasonably close and make sure you allow for holding costs as the builder will get progress payments along the way.

I am thinking about approaching a display home builder (what do you call them?)
Project Home builders

to see if they would do the development.
Some of the larger ones do this - Masterton for example do.

Does anyone know if this type of builder does all the DA, BA work as well?
Yes, they have ppl that do this for dual occs.

Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?
Oh yeah, but I'll leave that to those on here that do this a lot.

What state/area are you looking at doing it in?
That way we can be more accurate with giving an indication of costs and fees.

Gools

I'm in a similar boat to you.

I was/am interested in buying a property in Ingleburn for $330K. It currently has a 3 bed fibro house plus a one bed granny flat (converted from the garage), currently renting for 280pw.

Although the land is only 664 sqm, the block consists of three titles, so I assume I can build three torrens title duplexes.

I know of duplexes in similar blocks of land going for in the 320K to 330K mark each and renting out for 350 pw.

What would be the building costs for three duplexes and do you guys think its worth pursuing?

Back