Full reno cost

I would like to know how much roughly (in thousands) it will cost to renovate a house like the following to a degree that will attract tenants.

Will it cost something like $20,000~$30,000?
Have you done something similar (ie. almost full reno) and how much did it cost you?
Do you know any good renovator in Blacktown area?

Here are the photos.

1. Yucky carpets throughout the house (100 sqm)

Plan: replace with timber floor boards

2. Broken cornice throughout the house

Plan: replace/restore

3. Rusted gutter

Plan: replace the gutter

4. Cracked shower screen, dated shower

Plan: Full reno of bathroom+toilet

5. Cracked toilet wall

Plan: Full reno of bathroom+toilet

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've recently renovated an entire house for $6K. Included: new kitchen and bathroom, painted entire property, polished the floor boards, tiled kitchen, laundry and bathroom area, cleaned up front and back yard (including cutting down a large tree, new blinds for all windows, and 3 built in robes

It is a 3 bedroom house. I am a cabinet maker by trade so that helped me a lot.

I'd say in your case you should be able to pull it off for under $15K.

I've recently renovated an entire house for $6K. Included: new kitchen and bathroom, painted entire property, polished the floor boards, tiled kitchen, laundry and bathroom area, cleaned up front and back yard (including cutting down a large tree, new blinds for all windows, and 3 built in robes

It is a 3 bedroom house. I am a cabinet maker by trade so that helped me a lot.

I'd say in your case you should be able to pull it off for under $15K.

Thanks for sharing.
I really have no idea how much the labour and material cost for each room/job.
Are you able to break down the cost approximately?

Something like
Bathroom $2000
Kitchen $1500
Paint whole house $2000
Polish floorboards $1000
Tiling in kitchen $500
Built-in for 3 rooms $1200

Thanks in advance

Thanks for sharing.
I really have no idea how much the labour and material cost for each room/job.
Are you able to break down the cost approximately?

Something like
Bathroom $2000
Kitchen $1500
Paint whole house $2000
Polish floorboards $1000
Tiling in kitchen $500
Built-in for 3 rooms $1200

Thanks in advance

Bathroom $2000-on a budget thats easy to do, obviously no high end stuff,
Kitchen $1500- Straight lines are $1000+ install, L/U shaped, looking at $2k+install
Paint whole house $2000-DIY is $300, pro maybe $3k
Polish floorboards $1000- depending on your size but I allow $1800-$2000 for a 3bdr house
Tiling in kitchen $500 - reasonable
Built-in for 3 rooms $1200 - to actually build them into the walls, im not sure, but you can easily buy new robes for $200-$300 each

Don't forget the costs of your tradies. Sure, quite a bit can be done yourself but when it comes to electrical and plumbing work you will want a tradie. Allow $2K.

I could see that bathroom easily blowing out to more than $2K. I'd be looking at replacing the shower screens and giving the whole thing a very good clean. Some tiles would need replacing. I'd then get a bathroom resurfacer in to paint all the tiles white (around 2.5K). New taps, new vanity unit. The flooring may be able to stay if it cleans up well. A new towel rail and toilet roll holder. New toilet. So all up I'd be budgeting around $5.5K for the bathroom.

Guttering- Around 3K for the house.

Kitchen- Allow at least $4K. Aim to replace the oven/stove if it is doggy and you are using it as a IP. This is because if the thing keeps breaking down, often the real estate agent will call out a sparky numerous times to 'fix' the issue. Then you are left with an old oven/stove that has had quite a bit of maintenance $ spent on it. Better just to start with a clean slate. It's amazing sometimes what a really good clean does for a place though. If the tiles are good, but just plain ugly see if the bathroom re surface people can paint them while he is there.

Floorboards- get a professional. Often the hire place machines are doggy. It's a heck of a lot of time, work and effort and ends up costing around the same anyhow. Allow $3K for a 3bedroom house.

Built in robes of the flat pack variety will be around $700 each. So $2100.

Paint adds up quickly- around $1.5K. Mainly because of all the incidentals, masking tape, brushes, rollers ect.

It's pretty much the same with DYI. If you have all the tools, it is a heap cheaper than if you have to buy bits and pieces to get the job done. But then.... you have them for the next one :)

So around $20100.

I reno'd my house for 20k and it looks amazing so I say you could do it for that price, just remember "its not what you know, it's who you know"

Nick.

I reno'd my house for 20k and it looks amazing so I say you could do it for that price, just remember "its not what you know, it's who you know"

Nick.

"its not what you know, it's who you know"
I totally agree with it. The problem is, "I don't know anyone yet" :(

Do you get someone who "look after everything"?
Or do you get bathroom to reno bathroom, get kitchen expert to reno kitchen, get painters to paint, get floorboard expert to do the flooring, etc and coordinate them yourself?

Will someone who "look after everything" turns out to be cheaper?
Or getting experts individually and coordinate them (self-project-management) will turn out to be cheaper?

"its not what you know, it's who you know"
I totally agree with it. The problem is, "I don't know anyone yet" :(

Do you get someone who "look after everything"?
Or do you get bathroom to reno bathroom, get kitchen expert to reno kitchen, get painters to paint, get floorboard expert to do the flooring, etc and coordinate them yourself?

Will someone who "look after everything" turns out to be cheaper?
Or getting experts individually and coordinate them (self-project-management) will turn out to be cheaper?

I was lucky cause my brother & dad and mysef are brickies, my best mate is a builder & fencer and my cousin is a sparky and my close mate I play hockey with is a plumber so I was covered in all areas, beers & BBQ'S helped and everyone won all round, Tonka (who is on SS) did my floors I could have done it myself but id rather get an expert doing that cause he knew what he was doing and did a brilliant job! cant praise him enough

in terms of reno's I did a room at a time and managed everything myself so it was easy, mind you I was living in the house aswell, but I had nothing much in the house it was easy.

a lot of people go hell for leather when reno-ing but you cant do that! just gtta manage it correctly have a plan with your reno and just space it out else you go troppo and you dnt want to do it or loose enthusiasm in the reno.

No idea about that one.

We generally get our own hands dirty and are right in the thick of the renovation. I coordinate all the tradies, build the cabinets, do some plastering, paint ect. I think you better add another $15K to the cost if you are going to outsource everything. We do outsource the jobs like the bathroom resurfacing, sanding and polishing of floors, carpet/ floor laying, plumbing and electrical. Simply because of safety reasons, and the result is a lot better and the costs aren't huge. Time frame also comes into play.

We tend to do things in rooms, and quickly.

another thing is to do also is to work from "top to bottom" I see a lot of people I know not doing this and it can be very costly, example, you put a kitchen in and you haven't painted the ceiling...always do the floors last. ceilings are always first if you have and roof that's always the very first thing!!!!!

Nick.

Is that your house or are you just wanting ideas of costs?
If it's yours I hope you got a building report because there is serious movement in that toilet wall.

We do a complete house reno for $15k but we do a lot of the work ourselves.

Do you have the experience to coordinate trades yourself or do you need guidance? Can you do any of the work yourself? Even ripping out the bathroom, kitchen etc will save money.
Don't waste money repairing the bathroom. Rip it all out. It's not that expensive and if you don't you'll still need to do it later.
What's the floor like under the carpet? If its good then just get a polisher guy in. Again, rip out the carpet yourself to save money.

Using good trades, you should be able to do polished floorboards (2k), new paint (4k), new bathroom (4k), gutters ($? is it just one area or the whole lot) and builtins ($600 x 3 = $1800) for 15k.

Is that your house or are you just wanting ideas of costs?
If it's yours I hope you got a building report because there is serious movement in that toilet wall.
It might be my house. I would like to know the reno cost before I submit my offer.
Thank you for spotting the potential structural problem. It sounds scary to me if the building report comes out bad. :eek:

Do you have the experience to coordinate trades yourself or do you need guidance? Can you do any of the work yourself? Even ripping out the bathroom, kitchen etc will save money.
No experience whatsoever.
It sounds like fun coordinating trades myself.
Ripping out bathroom, kitchen sounds easy but I am afraid that the house might contain asbestos as it is a fibro house. :confused:

Don't waste money repairing the bathroom. Rip it all out. It's not that expensive and if you don't you'll still need to do it later.
Yes, I am thinking the same. Just do a brand new one.

What's the floor like under the carpet? If its good then just get a polisher guy in. Again, rip out the carpet yourself to save money.
I will check. The agent will cut off offers by 5pm on Monday, I really need to do two things before then
1. find out the reno cost so that I know how much I should offer
2. whether there is any structural problem as suggested by you that the toilet wall has moved

By the way, this might be my second IP.
Thanks for all those who gave me advises when I was purchasing my first IP back in June. :D

Using good trades, you should be able to do polished floorboards (2k), new paint (4k), new bathroom (4k), gutters ($? is it just one area or the whole lot) and builtins ($600 x 3 = $1800) for 15k.
The problem is... where do I find good trades?
I have used serviceseeking.com.au but I am not sure whether they are good or not :confused:

another thing is to do also is to work from "top to bottom" I see a lot of people I know not doing this and it can be very costly, example, you put a kitchen in and you haven't painted the ceiling...always do the floors last. ceilings are always first if you have and roof that's always the very first thing!!!!!

Nick.
Thanks Nick for your top-down approach.
I will remember it by heart :)

Back