Ground Floor or Second Floor

Hi Everyone,

This may seem like a random question but would you purchase a unit on the ground floor of a building or on the second floor?

My purchase is going to be as an investment and I know that it would obviously depend on the state the unit is in and also a renter's own situation but I am just curious as to what the Investors see as a more feasible purchase.

Sometimes on the ground floor you get "some kind of courtyard" , and we find these rent very well. No problems. Probably first choice.
We also have some on "second floor" (i.e the floor above the ground floor) and they rent OK also.
We don't buy in large blocks. We don't buy in "anything" with a lift. I wouldn't buy a "walk-up" on higher than the second floor (which some people call the first floor)..once again, the floor above the above ground floor.
LL

units up a level always seem to sell better... people worry about security and darkness of ground floor units.. unless of course there is a courtyard. But generally speaking in my experience ground floor units are often harder to sell.

units up a level always seem to sell better... people worry about security and darkness of ground floor units.. unless of course there is a courtyard. But generally speaking in my experience ground floor units are often harder to sell.

I agree with Alabex. Up A level is good - for security and not too far to walk.
But if you're after a courtyard / wheelchair access and the lighting / security is OK - then ground floor is the way to go.

And yes, never a lift in the building - strata fees too high with maintenance.

I would prefer one level up.

With medium to high density units, ground floor with a courtyard gets no privacy at all, so many units above to look down at you.
Also the rubish and crap that some people drop would be bad for the courtyard owner, cigarette butts, water dripping etc.
Then the security as mentioned.

Much less problems with higher levels.

When I was renting, i ruled out all ground floor apartments. I believe that i was paying a higher rent for my 'elevated apartment' than the guy below. According to the lady that has been renting there for 8 years, he paid $170 and i was paying $190 even though he moved in 6 months after I did.

I find middle floors are best in terms of temp.
Ground floors are good for oldies and maybe kiddies.
Top floor for a "view" depending on the height of the building.
Generally nothing with a lift (as this adds to the cost of strata), and no more than 20 units in the building.

It really depends on the building, as some "ground floor" units are actually elevated due to the level of the land they're constructed on, or because they have garages/carspaces underneath. Not all have courtyards either.

It also depends on the mobility of the unit dweller. After all, not everyone wants to manage stairs, especially when they're in a three storey walkup :D

Re: lifts. In some older buildings, I agree that you need to watch out for the condition of these, as overhauls and maintenance can be expensive. However, in newer buildings, lifts can actually be an incentive to buyers/tenants depending on their age. In a complex that I recently purchased for a client, most of the owners (over 90% owner occupied) were in the over 50's age group and thus more likely to choose a building with a lift than one without. The advantages of having so many owners in a block such as this is also highly beneficial when it comes to overall maintenance as well.

It really depends on the building, as some "ground floor" units are actually elevated due to the level of the land they're constructed on, or because they have garages/carspaces underneath. Not all have courtyards either.

I lived in one of those before. The noise pisses you off from people opening and closing their garage doors! Esp when one resident was working the graveyard shift! :mad:

Sorry ...read it wrong.

OK ... Sorry ...my mistake. Apologies.. Reading it through my own mind-set. Unless I can buy the whole block these days I don't bother. Had enough of body corps & levees etc etc for one lifetime.
LL

I would choose 2nd floor preferably with balcony mainly for security reasons and also for some sort of view other than fence if there was one to be had.

All other things considered, I would go second floor because it is less claustrophobic.
Generally speaking most ground floor units are cheaper (Unless of course they have a courtyard and the others dont).
Security is better definitely.

just curious about in ur experience... ground floor units are really harder to sell?

Back