Home with granny flat

Fear of being sued basically. Many (read 'most') are not council approved and they do not want to be in a position where they said 'granny flat' when in reality it is approved as a 'rumpus room' or something else altogether.
Also, for many shires, its illegal to rent out a granny flat at all. So being too explicit in an ad could get you a knock on the door from the council's lawyers.

Hi everyone,
I am also looking for a house with granny flat, could anyone tell me how to do the key word search on domain.com.au please?
I've tried to click everything on the page but no success.
Thanks a lot!

viv

You have to click on the map of Australia - on the state you want.
Next page check the box for the region within the state.
Next page allows you to enter a keyword.

Lots of places with granny flats or houses divided into two dwellings in Sydney's west- as Alan says, you need to do your legwork in order to find them, though. Sure, Domain is useful, but there's nothing that replaces maintaining constant contact with agents for results. I've seen some great granny flats and some real dodgy ones (most unapproved) out there- be sure to consider separate metering however if you don't want to have squabbles over the power bills :D

Look for houses like this one that sold recently where it has "potential" for dual income- they're usually the ones that agents don't want to advertise as having an unapproved flat on the premises http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-merrylands-106962991

I think building from scratch is also cost effective given the current likely returns. Around $70-90K isn't unreasonable when you consider you can attain a gross yield of 10%+ in most cases.

"Separate external rooms" !! My goodness - I didn't think rea were capable of such creative language. :D

Some keywords for you:
granny, studio, bungalow, teenage, in law, dual, duel (yes, they mean dual but they get them mixed up), self-contained, 2 incomes, sleepout

You can use 'flat' but you will get level blocks of land coming up too.

Some keywords for you:
granny, studio, bungalow, teenage, in law, dual, duel (yes, they mean dual but they get them mixed up), self-contained, 2 incomes, sleepout

You can use 'flat' but you will get level blocks of land coming up too.

Is there a way to search with keywords on RE.com or domain.com? :confused:

I could've sworn I read Alan's post about how to do it on domain.com.au. somewhere in this thread...

Anyway, to do it, click on the state you're interested in on the Australian map, and fill your search criteria. I think on the 3rd page, they'll ask for keywords.

I could've sworn I read Alan's post about how to do it on domain.com.au. somewhere in this thread...

Anyway, to do it, click on the state you're interested in on the Australian map, and fill your search criteria. I think on the 3rd page, they'll ask for keywords.

Ah excellent, thanks for your help. I was trying to work it out last night but to no avail.

Back