How do you stay motivation??

Light stuff:
Who needs motivation when you have Despair (http://www.despair.com)

Heavy stuff:
Motivation is an emotion that many think can be bought and sold.

That's why so many people read 'motivating' books, attend 'motivational' seminars or look for 'motivation' in their daily lives.

But none of that is truth.

In reality motivation is an emotional choice. Any of us can choose it at any time we want.

That's why some people in the most unfavourable circumstances can mysteriously remain motivated. And many in the most favourable cannot. Some people are motivated by seeing the sun every morning, and others remain unmotivated even when provided with the strongest incentives.

Choose to be motivated, use the tools, geegaws and gadgets that fool your subconscious into being motivated if you need to.

But always remember that being motivated is your choice, not imposed on you by application of an outside influence.

Never let these external influences become a crutch that psychologically you believe is required to motivate you.

In the long run that reliance can reduce independence and turn individuals into addicts (ie: seminar junkies).

Internalise your motivation, certainly use 'triggers' when needed to kick your mind back onto the right track, but don't let the triggers become addictions.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Last edited:
Acey,

That was a big mistake. Just for that minute you let your world weary cynical front down and I'm never going to fall for it again.

I'll also post your message on my wardrobe door. It was a cracker, both meaningful and thoughtful, and deserves more kudos than I can offer.

Gordon Gekko said:
Hi All,

Far too often, I loose my motivation to invest for the future. :rolleyes:

Am i lazy? Do i think "It will be right mate"!

I have just done a couple of things that are positive moves towards my next IP. :D But then i might not do any more for a month ot two.

By my signature below, it seems that i have my s@#t together, well i don't.

Then i come across a thread on here that inspires me and i again get of my bum and do something. This sort of on one day off the next, will not get me to where i want to go.

I said to my wife the other night " We need to get our financial stuff tegether for the future"

Her response " I thought that you do all that stuff" :rolleyes:

My wife comes from a background where the man looks after all of the $$$ stuff.

So my question after all that is "How do i stay motivated"?

How do other people stay motivated????

HELP

GG

I had to think a bit about this..... and I am still not sure I will articulate it well.

We tend not to have the time to sit back and be able to question out motivation - things seem to be happening all the time.... for better or for worse.

Whether it's a tenant vacating, forms to be signed, the share market, a new managed investment, opening a new bank account, doing the tax, etc etc... there has not been much of an opportunity to sit back.

We do however set goals (I am a "move towards" type person who like to have goals) for the short term - maybe 1-6 months out, mid term (12 months), long term (5-10 years). The 1 month goal is only a short time away, so there is always something happening.

My wife is a "move away from" type person, so an abject fear of poverty drives her (she grew up in it). This is also a strong motivator (as mentioned in a post above).

However, I suspect our main driver is the "living close to the edge factor" - being relatively highly geared with thousands of dollars going out in interest payments every month (the net amount going out in payments is more than one person's salary), you need to know where the next dollar is coming from. We need to constantly find ways to lower costs (living, tax, interest) and improve investment income and performance.

Hope this makes sense :eek:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Robbins stays motivated 24/7 because thats his job.

Make it your job.....

I reckon if you landed this one on your wifes lap she would take up the challenge.

I have a screen shot from Domain pinned up at my desk. Another copy in my wardrobe that I see each morning when I open the door to get dressed.

A colleague pointed to the pic at my desk and said "Is that yours?"
I said; "No it is there to help me stay motivated and focussed."

Works for me... I will have the view for real one day soon :p

The thing that drives my motivation is real simple.

If my plan works out - using a REAL simple model, with conservative assumptions, based on historical fact and no predictions, with a great team of advisers around me ... then ... i'll be retired within 5 years.

Thats 30 years earlier than predicted.

Even if things go slightly amiss and i'm working another 10 years. Meh.

My mind goes ape every time I think about what i'm doing, and the sheer possibilities in front of me.

And thats not even the main thing - I have priorities that FAR outweigh my need to retire.

These keep me going. Some nights I can hardly sleep because of it!!!

T.

What keeps ME motivated?

I keep *BBC Top Gear* and *CarPoint* in my "favourites".

The thought of returning to Sydney in a few years and living in any one of my current Sydney, beach side, IP's .

Being the eternal DINK-y type, but without the need to get up early 5 days a week, and atleast a couple of week day breakfast's at Bronte beach.

It's very easy to be motivated by this when you have spent the last 3 years in China :( .

Cheers,

My movation this week was coffee with a forum member who was kind enough to meet with me while on holiday! Thanks you know who! This has been the latest in a series of significant motivators over the past two years.

I started out reading the Robert Kiyosaki books, and they were motivating, but it was not enough motivation to do more than dream.

Then I read Jan Somers, Anita Bell, Peter Spann etc, and that was more motivating, as they were Australian, not Americanl. That made me start working out some spreadsheets, reading the propery section, visiting open houses. But it was still not enough to do more than put the dreams down on paper.

At the same time I found this forum, and that was even more motivating. These were real people, successful people, and not just 'gunnas'. Finally I actually DID something other than dream,and scribble on paper. I restructured the finance on my PPOR to see what equity I could access, how I could value add, and found out how banks dont understand what I want to do!

This week, despite a crazy schedule, I managed to duck out for a cofee with a forum member who was in town. And this has been very motivating indeed. For me its broken the barrier between text and reality. To meet someone who is practicing, not just preaching was amazing.

At the end of the day I guess what motivates me is the opportunity to buy my life back. I am too fully aware of how much of my life I have sold to employers for long hours and meagre returns.

thanks again to my latest motivator... I cant wait to see what action this will bring in August...

Reactions: Les
My current problem is finding the motivation to get on the train and show up at the 9-5 job.

Starting to sound like a Generation Y, wanting everything now.

If your've got any suggestions I'm willing to listen?

Cheers
quoll

PS Karina's post 23 properties in 5 years was a good bit of motivation.

Hi All,

I guess i should reply since i started this thread :D

I have taken a few of the things mentioned here on board as a source of motivation.

But something happened last week which really opened my eyes to how much more i should be doing to reach my goals.

I saw a chap last week that i have known on and off for 20 years (we work in the same industry) He has always been a happy man. He told me that his wife has been very sick, in fact she was in a hospital as a mentally ill patient. She has been waiting for "weeks" to get a bed in the specialty ward. And the sad thing he told me is that it was her 60 th birthday the next day. But what has really hit home is that he said he had to keep on working thru her illness because he couldn't afford not to.

Here are a couple, 60yo, still working, can't afford to retire and can't afford private health cover.

There is my motivation. Not to end up like my good friend,

GG

Back