I hate Tailgaters!!

Was driving on the Sydney to Newcastle freeway some months ago and flicked my headlights at a car that was cruising under speed in the right lane. I wanted to overtake so gave them a headlight flick - it was in broad daylight. Flicking the headlights is a well known method of letting the driver in front know you want to come through and to please move over - no threat intended - just a gentle reminder. So they moved to the left and I went past and that should have been the end of it. But no, they then pulled out behind me and started flicking their headlights frantically to pi$$ me off and started to tailgate me blowing the horn as well. I moved to the left lane after overtaking - they overtook too then came past me and dropped into the left lane in front of me and then deliberately slowed down. If I attempted to move to the right to overtake them they sped up or moved to the right too. They were making me stick to the left lane - I was now between a semi and them and scared *****less (I hate semis behind me!). I also realised I was now in some sort of 'game' and tried to think of the best way to tackle it. Stay where I was until they got bored with driving slow? Would they get bored? What if they didn't? But then if I kept trying to overtake and they carried on like this what would I do? My aggro and determination kicked in at this point and I thought "right, ya little ba$tard$. You wanna play - let's play. But I've got more experience, skills but more importantly patience than you've got. You'll get bored with this quicker than I will."

Eventually, I pulled out to the right again mixing in with some other cars that were going past them then dropped back into the left lane once I'd overtaken. They then pulled out into the right, sped up until they were level with the vehicle in front of me then held the same speed and virtually blocked me from going anywhere. This lasted about 5 mins and they only moved when other cars wanted to come through so they moved to the left lane to let them pass. Again, I took my chance and moved out to the right and went past them along with the other cars.

This sort of stupid crap went on for about another 10 mins and as predicted they eventually got bored. As I came past them on another go they slammed the outside of their car and howled, laughed and generally carried on as I came past. The whole time the 'game' was being played I had looked straight ahead and tried to look as if I hadn't realised we were playing 'Duel' on a freeway doing 110kmh. I hadn't looked at them or provoked them in any way. They didn't bother me anymore after this last overtake. I think it was keeping my cool, being patient and having my wits about me along with good driving skills that got me through this, but it was quite nerve racking to begin with.

They were 3 guys in their mid twenties - I am obviously a middle aged woman, someone like their Mum, not another young bloke to pick on or even a grown man! Where is the mentality of what they were doing? Playing with my life and theirs and for what - 1 headlight flick! There's a telegraph pole with their name on it somewhere in the not too distant future.

Olly

The problems everyone describes are systemic of our poor approach to driver training and attitude. How can we expect drivers to know how much space to leave between them and the next car when drivers never even need to experience an emergency braking situation in gaining their license? Our licensing system focuses on such behaviours as not parking more than the allowable space from the gutter and not exceeding the speed limit by even the smallest amount. Meanwhile, the skills which will get you out of a life and death situation are ignored; stopping distances, vehicle dynamics, skid control, etc.

What makes it even worse is that the same morons people have described in this thread are the ones teaching their kids how to drive. The idea of a system which encourages learners to be taught by these people is just disturbing.

I’ve been involved in a lot of club level motorsport over many years and regularly volunteer as an instructor on advanced driver training days. Two things have really struck me over years of doing this; Firstly, most drivers have major deficiencies in their driving style regardless of age and gender. I see everything from the basics (seating position, steering position, mirrors) through to more serious handling skills. Secondly (and this is the important one), the improvement in peoples’ ability after just a single day of training is always remarkable. And that goes equally for the mature, responsible 60 year old as it does the hot headed teenager. They each improve in different areas but the common factor is there is significant scope for improvement. If we can do this cheaply and safely at a club level, why is it so difficult for the government to get it right?

This sort of stupid crap went on for about another 10 mins and as predicted they eventually got bored. As I came past them on another go they slammed the outside of their car and howled, laughed and generally carried on as I came past. The whole time the 'game' was being played I had looked straight ahead and tried to look as if I hadn't realised we were playing 'Duel' on a freeway doing 110kmh.
Olly

There are some pyschos out there I think!! The same thing happened to me about ten years ago, until finally the guy decided to do the right thing or so I thought by moving to the left. It turned out he just wanted to make the upcoming exit on the left. Arrggh I was angry.... I think this guy got the better of me that day, cos he could see how pissed off i was getting with him. He was really enjoying himself.

lol have you seen that roadrager movie with the guy in the station wagon and the truck.

I try to stay the hell away from these lunatics. Its all just a sick game

Troyhunt:
The problems everyone describes are systemic of our poor approach to driver training and attitude. How can we expect drivers to know how much space to leave between them and the next car when drivers never even need to experience an emergency braking situation in gaining their license? Our licensing system focuses on such behaviours as not parking more than the allowable space from the gutter and not exceeding the speed limit by even the smallest amount. Meanwhile, the skills which will get you out of a life and death situation are ignored; stopping distances, vehicle dynamics, skid control, etc.

What makes it even worse is that the same morons people have described in this thread are the ones teaching their kids how to drive. The idea of a system which encourages learners to be taught by these people is just disturbing.

I’ve been involved in a lot of club level motorsport over many years and regularly volunteer as an instructor on advanced driver training days. Two things have really struck me over years of doing this; Firstly, most drivers have major deficiencies in their driving style regardless of age and gender. I see everything from the basics (seating position, steering position, mirrors) through to more serious handling skills. Secondly (and this is the important one), the improvement in peoples’ ability after just a single day of training is always remarkable. And that goes equally for the mature, responsible 60 year old as it does the hot headed teenager. They each improve in different areas but the common factor is there is significant scope for improvement. If we can do this cheaply and safely at a club level, why is it so difficult for the government to get it right?

What a great post, constructive and helpful, very observant...we can all do better as drivers.

When I was learning to drive my older sister and brother helped some....just basic rudimentary stuff, but I (wanted to) went and booked in (after asking around who was good at teaching/instructing) for lessons with an instructor. My Dad, for many years, had been pretty irresponsible behind the wheel and I wanted to learn to drive really well, one; so I could be as responsible as possible, but, two, to learn to handle situations when you come across someone/scenarios ...so as to to know what to pre empt, defensive driving skills, etc. I have both a car and motorbike licence, so after the car drive/handle/education skills, I went and did the bike one.

I became the change I wanted to see. Ya know? It's not everything, and it offers no guarantees for my life or safety, but it is the best I can be.

Kudos to you troyhunt, wise words.

Back