Ikea Kitchen - Before and After Pics

JumpinJack,
Is this for an IP or a PPOR?
If it's an IP did you fix it to sell it or to rent it out?
Cheers

The new kitchen looks great! Nice work.

Just a question. Does anyone know how the IKEA kitchens compare to the Flatpax ones sold at Bunnings --> www.flatpax.com.au, in terms of price and quality?

Regards,
Ozi

Just a question. Does anyone know how the IKEA kitchens compare to the Flatpax ones sold at Bunnings --> www.flatpax.com.au, in terms of price and quality?

Regards,
Ozi

Hi Ozi,

We searched both Ikea and flatpax and ended up going with a Flatpax kitchen. The reason being that we liked the "Abstract" doors at Ikea (white vinyl gloss look) - and those were 3 times the price of the flatpax White Gloss doors. If you went for just the basic Ikea doors, the price would decrease dramatically I'm sure. In terms of quality, can't tell you yet - still installing them, but they seem Ok. In terms of easiness to install - so far so good, Geoff was able to put them all together by himself over a couple of days (amazing!!). Will post some pics when it's finished.

Cheers,
Jen

Wow, the kitchen looks great.

my question is how did you install the overhead cupboards? what equipment do you need? was it easy to do by yourself?

$2,500 is pretty good but the canibets are quite pricey...that just doesn't sound right. I'd need to pay $600+ just for 2 of the 110 X 55cm horizontal cuboards with the glass doors.

Lizzie and gerd described the method I used to hang the overheads.

A long piece of timber, levelled and nailed into the studs. I then sat the cabinets on top of it, and attached it to the wall. After that I removed the timber and tiled.

It wasn't that difficult to do myself. Just heaved it up onto the timber piece. The 80cm cabinet was something like 25kg. It would have been easier with help though :)

And the cabinets with the glass doors are a LOT more expensive, depending on what style of door you chose.

Hang on, I have the catalogue with me...hmmm...

30X70cm wall cabinet in Arlig (my door choice) = $55
30X70cm wall glass cabinet = ranges from $100 to $220

Cheers.

Hi,

Being a very non handy type of the person, i will be interested in how did you assemble it...

I have assembled a bed and tall boy from IKEA though but anything more i think i will nedd some help with....

thanks-

The cabinets aren't any harder to assemble I think than a tall boy. It comes with everything you need. Though a cordless drill is handy. Not sure if I would use a screwdriver though, as you can't screw it in as tightly as with a drill.

Once assembled, Ikea recommend a company called Aussemble (or something like that) who can install the cabinets onto your wall. They can assemble too.

:D

If the kitchen cost $2.5k, how long did it take you to install it? can it be done in a day? does ikea have professional installers that they can recommend? how much would 1 day cost? if it's another $1k for installation, I think that's quite alright too.

It took me about a week to assemble and install. Though I only worked on it a few hours a day. Plus I didn't really know what I was doing in the beginning so I read, and re-read the instructions to make sure I didn't bugger it up.

Still didn't stop me from screwing the base of one the cabinets upside down :eek:

Their professional installers charge something like $90 a cabinet for installation, and $50 for assembly.

Okay I found their website. It is here: http://www.assembly.com.au/

Haven't used them so do not know if they are any good.

However if I was to have gotten it installed only (not assembled), it would have been:

$90 X 14 cabinets = $1260

Hope that helps. :D

Cheers.

Great thread.

Wife and I like the IKEA kitchen but want to go luxury end for our PPOR and BNB cottages.

So we would have almost all shelves, And we like Stat (lined look) which is mid range. Real Timber Top and all the doodads like Rationall that save space, easy of use, etc... My Logic is: it gives an easier life in using, better storage and overall less kitchen because of the better storage (I mean who goes to the corner cupbaords for those long lost tupperware bins?!?!).so you save the extra cost in less cabinets and less space to build.

Can I ask a question?

You note that IKEA at the basic level was the cheapest and further up would not be, but would not the other suppliers also up thier price for glass, timber top, etc... Or are they cheaper in high end materials.

Thanks, Peter 14.7

Can I ask a question?

You note that IKEA at the basic level was the cheapest and further up would not be, but would not the other suppliers also up thier price for glass, timber top, etc... Or are they cheaper in high end materials.

Thanks, Peter 14.7

I never actually got quotes for a higher end kitchen, as I was only after a basic laminate (read, cheapest) kitchen, being that I was initially going to resell the place.

I just mentioned that Ikea have a higher quality line, which is much nicer, is all.

Not a big fan of the Stat doors, but I guess it does have that 'cottage' or country feel to it. I prefer the modern look. :cool:

Cheers.

Thanks JumpinJack.

I guess I will do a IKEA design with all the bells and whistles and use if as base for quotes.

I am after Country being in the Country and the only issue with stat is it is a rendtion of lining boards but not exact.

I could get all but the doors from Ikea? Love the Timner Tops.

Peter 14.7

We searched both Ikea and flatpax and ended up going with a Flatpax kitchen. The reason being that we liked the "Abstract" doors at Ikea (white vinyl gloss look) - and those were 3 times the price of the flatpax White Gloss doors. If you went for just the basic Ikea doors, the price would decrease dramatically I'm sure. In terms of quality, can't tell you yet - still installing them, but they seem Ok. In terms of easiness to install - so far so good, Geoff was able to put them all together by himself over a couple of days (amazing!!). Will post some pics when it's finished.

Thanks Jen! I might head into IKEA one day so I can compare the two :)

Cheers,
Ozi

Nice work with the reno, looks great!!!

Ikea V Flatpax

My experience only...

Ikea:
Good quality materials
Easy to put together
Reasonable prices for some things like wood benchtops, nice looking handles and taps etc. Average price for cabinets, expensie for doors.

Flatpax
OK quality but Ikea better
Easy to put together, but again Ikea a bit easier
Good prices for everything, especially the doors which look great for the price!

I went for flatpax cabinets and doors, Ikea benchtops and fittings.

Next time I would go Ikea cabinets and, if possible, use the flatpax doors. But I am not sure if the sizes are the same...

Also next time I will get someone else to assemble and fit :)

TheBacon

what we do to put in the overhead cupboards is nail a small spare piece of level timber (leave the nail sticking out for easy removal), so that the top of the timber piece is where the bottom of the cupboard would be. the cupboard then sits on this piece of timber while i strain my muscles to hold the cupboard flush against the wall while hubby checks it's level then screws it on with the drill.

seems to work every time - and once the support piece of timber is removed the tiles go over where the nail holes were.

Hi all

I use - old faithful milk crates and off cuts, place crates on bottem cabinet, place off cuts ( or other items board/old doors etc) to bring it up to height (600 - 650mm), put cabinet on top, chack levels, mark holes, remove, drill, replace.

I do them all by my self - 1 set of hands. when I get time I am making up 2 boxes of 600mm square to use in future.:D

celeste

Regards,
Ozi

Hi all

Bunnings carcuses (?spelling) are cheaper, other bits cost more, they look fine, IKEA have a bigger range.

I purchases the DVD on installing them to see if they are different from IKEA -thye are pretty much the same, the DVD does not show cutting the bench tops only fixing them to the cabinets, they recommend having them cut by a cabinet maker.

I have just been working out a plan for my current project and could not fit the flatpax ones = Ikea have a couple of different sized cnr units which I could use and therefore I do not need fillers and get an exact fit of cabinets

IKEA also have the doors with glass for the over heads - I like them lots. they are great to break up a white kitchen.

Celeste

I purchases the DVD on installing them to see if they are different from IKEA -thye are pretty much the same, the DVD does not show cutting the bench tops only fixing them to the cabinets, they recommend having them cut by a cabinet maker.
Celeste

Onthis point, I had commercial benchtop to cut and non ofmy trades brought a circular saw:rolleyes:

I took it to a "Mister Plywood" ( a chain store) and they cut it laser perfect for $0. I donated $5 to the charity tin.

No surface chips or dodgy lines.

FYI, Peter 14.7

In terms of the Bunnings Flatpax system - the DVD is worthless (we found) - if anyone is installing them and wants to view it, we will give you ours. I actually found it very funny - and completely useless :rolleyes: There are a few tips, but it's certainly NOT a step by step.

Cheers,
Jen

Just my 2 cents worth - be careful with the edges of the Ikea kitchen. We boght an ikea benchtop and water has seeped into the edges adn caused the join between the top of the bench and the edging strip to warp even though we were extremely careful in putting the edging strip on. Not sure if it is us or an ikea issue. but keep water away from the joins.

Just my 2 cents worth - be careful with the edges of the Ikea kitchen. We boght an ikea benchtop and water has seeped into the edges adn caused the join between the top of the bench and the edging strip to warp even though we were extremely careful in putting the edging strip on. Not sure if it is us or an ikea issue. but keep water away from the joins.

you should apply a bead of plumbers silicone (not ordinary silicone) to all joins in benchtops to water proof the particle board ,oh and another thing dont boil the jug on the join even with the silicone the joint will swell up ,and you will blame the product not the human for this happening :cool:

Back