Jenman article on 'how to save your home'

http://www.jenman.com.au/news_article.php?id=234

I thought it was a good read.

Suggestion One. ASK YOUR BOSS FOR A PAY RISE.

Repayments have gone up more than twice as much as wages have gone up. And what's the biggest problem facing many bosses these days? They can't find good staff.

If you are a good employee, ask for a pay increase to match your repayment increase. Don't know how to ask? Then leave this article on your boss's desk. Or, next time you go to lunch, leave your computer screen open on www.seek.com.au

Suggestion Two. RENT THOSE EMPTY BEDROOMS.

Oh what, you don't like the idea of strangers sharing your home? Well, how about the idea of strangers buying your home when the bank kicks you out?

As well as a mortgage crisis today, there's also a rental crisis. Thousands of people are desperate to find somewhere to rent. Many are hard workers who want little more than a clean bed. If you've got a clean empty bedroom, it's worth at least $450 a month, even more if it's got its own bathroom.

We keep hearing about a housing shortage in Australia; but we never hear about the six million empty bedrooms across the nation. We've got more than enough room for all of us, it's just that we've built bigger houses than we need which means we've got bigger payments than we want.

Don't struggle, rent out an empty bedroom. Go on, place the advertisement and watch how many nice people turn up. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Suggestion Three. RENT YOUR HOME.

If you want to cut your payments in half, move out and rent your home to someone else. Where are you going to go? Home to Mum and Dad. Stay with friends. Rent in a cheaper area. Rent a smaller place. Any one of these suggestions, if you can manage them, is surely better than losing your home. And, besides, it may only be for a few months.

Suggestion Four. DOWNSIZE.

The high cost and the stress of snobbery isn't worth it. Sell your home and move to the western side of the Pacific Highway (you know what I mean).

Get rid of the McMansion in Bella Vista Waters (seriously, there is such a place) and buy yourself a lovely home in a lovely street just 15 minutes away in Blacktown. Before you say, "I'd never live there," go and have a look at it. You can buy a great 4-bedroom home in a quiet street in a wonderful community for less than $300,000.

What would you prefer? That people think you're rich, but you are really stressed out and battling to survive? Or, that people think you are battling, but you have low debt and you are ever-so-happy?

The price of pretending to be prosperous is very high - both financially and emotionally.

Suggestion Five. DRIVE A HOLDEN.

Well, not literally, perhaps a Ford. Or even a Toyota. The point is this: Do you really need that expensive European job with the big repayment?

Yea, yea, I know, you deserve it; it makes you feel good after all the work you do. Forget it. We're talking about saving your home here. And if that means back-trading your car for a cheaper model, don't think about it, do it.

And, tell me, do you really need two (or three) cars? Come on, seriously. Is there no public transport in your area? Would it hurt to walk to the bus stop or the train station? My step-grandmother, Hilda Lanyon, died debt-free at a hundred years of age. She blamed it on exercise.

Suggestion Six. STOP WASTING MONEY.

If you don't think you're wasting money, take a closer look at your expenses. It's amazing how people justify the wastage of money these days.

For example, they spend ten or twenty dollars a day on coffees and lunches. That's up to $5,000 a year. They could eliminate most of it by taking their lunch to work.

Sure, brown paper bags are not exactly the current fashion accessory. But you know what's fashionable these days? Debt. Oh, please, wake up.

Pack your lunch and save your home.

Suggestion Seven. GET A SECOND JOB.

Already got a second job? Well, get a third one. Do anything (legal) that will bring in some extra dollars. Mow lawns in the area. Start a rubbish removal service. Clean windows. Drive a hire car (it's better than a cab). Become a waiter. Deliver junk mail (and get fit at the same time).

Hard work never really killed anyone, did it? Kill that mortgage before it kills you.

Okay, if you really don't like the idea of a second (or third) job, how about finding a better-paying job? Maybe you could sell real estate. There's a lot of money to be made out of selling homes for stressed home-owners.

...more

yeah all good and powerful hints.
especially going home to mum and dad's.
and i think we'll have to start forming bigger households in the future....that's how our grandparents lived.....living alone into old age is what is increasing the need for more houses and causing a lot of social disconnect imho.

The 'getting a second job" was a classic too.

I'd be rapt if I could get a first job.

My eyeballs have got seek.com.au imprinted on them.

The 'getting a second job" was a classic too.

I'd be rapt if I could get a first job.

My eyeballs have got seek.com.au imprinted on them.

Yeah leave seek.com on your computer whilst your out to lunch ... great suggestion ... Imagine the surprise when the boss replaces you with the younger new improved model because he wanted to strike before you did...

The other suggestions were all sound ... and getting a pay rise is not as hard as it seems ... just ask what more the boss needs doing in exchange for a higher salary

I never thought I would like or agree with anything Jenman wrote - but it's good advice.

Cheers,

Bazza

Surely if there was ever a case of phoning in an article, this was it. He must be doing well if stating the bleeding obvious passes for advice these days.

Being frugal and saving money are one half of a wealth creation program and that is what the article seems to be suggesting. The other half is INVESTING and he seems to be against anyone who offers advice on the other half of the equation.

Having equity and income from rental properties is another way to "save your home" ;)

I agree, having IPs is great security in that if the &^#* hits the fan, sell an IP to pay down some debt and keep your house !

Yes ithought they where good suggestions.
but I had problems with
"Suggestion Two. RENT THOSE EMPTY BEDROOMS." and thought it was mis leading ..in that it leaves out some very important warnings

1) the rental for the spare bedroom is regarded as rent - so you need to declare it and pay tax on it

2) you need to pay capital gains tax based on the area of bedroom and rest of the house - examples on ato site.

3) In many states you loose the full ppor land tax exemption - since the property is now earing income. In qld this is calculated once again on the % space rented out ...

I can not see any way to avoid these - i know people do and do not declare it but that does not make it correct.

Noel Whittaker had a similar articale in Queenslands Sunday Mail , Page 70 9/3/2008. He hints at this problem in a vague way. Specifically , he says ..

" Can you take in a border to help with rates , insurance and electricity??? If you do, be careful that the money they give you is treated as a contribution to household expenses and is not actual rent - otherwise you could find yourself loosing part of your capital gains tax exemption as you are carry on a business in part of your residence."

I can not really see how this could stand up to a tax office investigation ...?

Anyone care to comment ...

( For me its an interesting idea ... my household rates/insurance/electricity/gas would have to be at least $4000 a year )

i thought renting a room had long been established as not rent income as such... ATO worried about getting hit with a million negatively geared bedrooms

You'd think buying plasma TVs on credit you cant afford would come under the 'bleeding obvious' umbrella.

Or living beyond your means in general for that matter. It seems common sense is not so common these days.

Surely if there was ever a case of phoning in an article, this was it. He must be doing well if stating the bleeding obvious passes for advice these days.

In an environment of rising incomes and very little unemployment, it's very easy to convince yourself that you'll develop the means to pay for all the consumer stuff, even if you have to put it on credit 'for now'.
Alex

This is the ATOs view on renting out rooms

Basically, the way I read it, is

- if you let out a room for less than commercial rates, then income is not taxed nor deductions allowed.

- otherwise it is taxable income and deductions apply, as I presume cgt...the exception are deals with family members for rooms, even at market rates.

- however, deductions allowed may be restricted to the amount collected in rent, rather than a % of actual interest, rates etc. How limiting the deductions in this way changes cgt treatment, I am unsure.

Back