Jen's-can't change a lightbulb-reno attempt

Rubbish removal from Day 1 and 2

100_0293.jpg

100_0295.jpg

100_0324.jpg

I think the best $35 (tip fee) we've spent so far!

Onto the removal of the brick walls.......

Cheers,
Jen

Brick walls coming down!

Removing the brick walls around the toilet.....(no stuctural issues at all with these ones luckily)...

100_0355.jpg

100_0357.jpg

100_0360.jpg

Onto the main structural brick wall around the bath (the one we went through getting the bath out :eek: )....

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen

Great pics;)

Just noticed that the water heater is in a kitchen cupboard. I have found that this is the worst place for them and will always try and relocate them. Generally what we do is install them in the laundry, high on the wall. Don't know how you are for space but worth doing as invariably they leak and ruin your kitchen cupboard and also encoarage cockroaches with the heat.

With the plumbing for the shower you can drill through the slab and install plumbing in the cavity that is effectively the ceiling for the bathroom below. You know the neighbours that were complaining:(. I have relocated basins and showers in this way without a problem, but remember that wiring and plumbing also runs in the slab so need to take great care as to where to drill the new access holes. So far I have been lucky.

Cheers

Here is the removal of the brick "structural" wall around the bath/shower.

This is the structural beam was over the brick wall that was to be removed around the bath - and so the beam had to be moved over the doorway of the entrance to the bathroom and dynabolts were put in for extra safety to support the roof - (a 7am!!! on a Sunday morning - New Years Eve morning!!) - by the way, got a "thank you note" from the neighbours downstairs for leaving chocolates for them - the ones we were sure HATED us!!

100_0343.jpg

After the beam was secured in the new location - the wall was ready to go!

100_0363.jpg

100_0364.jpg

100_0365.jpg

100_0367.jpg

And onto the final photos of our 3rd day on the job......

Cheers,
Jen

Final pics - the unit is gutted!!

Ok, final pics of the bathroom/unit gutted.

100_0375.jpg

100_0323.jpg

Rubbish from end of week 1 - (3rd day working on the unit):

100_0380.jpg

Another $35 well spent!!

In total - all those pics covered just under 2.5 days of work - everything done by Geoff and myself with the help of his parents - except of course the "7am hour of hell" contribution by the builder to secure/move the structural supports. Of the entire reno so far - that hour was by far the worst for me as I literally felt sick thinking of how mad the neighbours would be!!

I hope my pics help give some insight into a reno - as performed by TOTAL NOVICES :D

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen

Great pics;)

Just noticed that the water heater is in a kitchen cupboard. I have found that this is the worst place for them and will always try and relocate them. Generally what we do is install them in the laundry, high on the wall. Don't know how you are for space but worth doing as invariably they leak and ruin your kitchen cupboard and also encoarage cockroaches with the heat.

With the plumbing for the shower you can drill through the slab and install plumbing in the cavity that is effectively the ceiling for the bathroom below. You know the neighbours that were complaining:(. I have relocated basins and showers in this way without a problem, but remember that wiring and plumbing also runs in the slab so need to take great care as to where to drill the new access holes. So far I have been lucky.

Cheers

Thanks Handyandy,

Our first and MAJOR goal when the plumber arrives (which is now Wednesday, although I've got another coming in tomorrow) is to find out if we can move that Hot water system! Ugh! What a trick that was - didn't find it until after we purchased and opened ALL the cupboards,

The laundry (of course :rolleyes: ) is on the other side of the unit - we'd like to fit it under the kitchen sink, but want to put in a dishwasher - SO, options are -
1) Make kitchen L-shape, put HWS under sink - basically no undersink cupboards; dishwasher at end of "L".
2) Move HWS into laundry - if the price of this isn't totally ridiculous, we'll seriously consider it - it's our preferred option. Then dishwasher can be near sink and we can have "L" or "U"-shape with plenty of cupboard space,
3) Switch to gas - install gas hot water unit on outside wall (plenty of space then!)- gas is connected to the building, but not to our unit yet. - I have no idea what this might cost to connect to our unit?? Any ideas on that cost - we're on the top level (Level 1 - it looks like gas connection for the buildings is about 20 metres away at front of building) - very rough estimate of course ;) )?

Right now, I've hesitated on buying appliances - as there are some great package deals out there, but we're unsure if we'll need gas or electric cooktops (I've been doing all my pricing on electric, so it can only get cheaper luckily! )

On the plumbing option you brought up - would that mean we would not be using the drainage pipe installed in our bathroom for the shower - but instead try to get into the neighbours? (I think that's a GREAT by the way :D ) - Can that be done on a concrete slab?? What kind of cost does that involve?

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen

Just looking at your pics again.

Ignore my earlier comment about drilling through the floor as on closer examination it appears that the whole sewer system is hanging of the outside of the building. All the pipes are going straight through the wall which I assume are outside walls. This is easy enough to check simply by looking from the outside.

Cheers

PS By the way the cost of doing this is per hole plus they charge a minimum. The last single hole I did cost me $160 but when I did a lot of holes it was down to $30 per hole. All up we would have done about 20 over the years.

You may still need to mode the access but then you would need to go through the wall rather than the floor and there is an extra level of difficulty for the plumber to access the outside plumbing.

In total - all those pics covered just under 2.5 days of work - everything done by Geoff and myself with the help of his parents - except of course the "7am hour of hell" contribution by the builder to secure/move the structural supports. Of the entire reno so far - that hour was by far the worst for me as I literally felt sick thinking of how mad the neighbours would be!!

I hope my pics help give some insight into a reno - as performed by TOTAL NOVICES :D

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen.D,
Thanks very much for posting your experiences and pictures as well. It is great to see people doing this sort of work, and great for people like me who are nervous about starting such work!! I like the idea that you stated neither of you are "handymen" as such, but you're still getting the job done. It helps people like myself have a little more confidence in that we too may be able to do such things one day if we put our minds to it.

I realise it may be a long time off, however I'm already looking forward to the "finished" photos to see just what an improvement you will have made. Are you planning to rent this out, or sell as a profit?

Keep up the fantastic work, and photos of course :)

Andrew.

Hi Jen,

Thanks for updating us on your progress. It seems you are doing very well so far. You have a big job ahead and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun along the way :D I look forward to the finished product!

P.S. I would definitely connect gas to the unit and go for gas cook tops if the cost isn't too high. I think this will add considerable value to your apartment and also command higher rent. People are likely to go for something that has gas appliances over electric any day. It may be worth considering.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ozi

Hi Jen, what a mammoth job...love the pics...tell the story visually. What hard slog you have all done. Can't wait to see the "daily rushes"...tis a joy to behold. I'm learning from your reno as mine is due to start in a month or two...so keep up the good work. You are an inspiration!:)

Hi Jen

Talking about neighbours, a couple of weeks ago I was trudging up to my reno with a pile of stuff, when a friendly fellow helped me. We hooped into the elevator - just going to work are you I say, no just getting home he says, i work nights - which floor he says, 6th I say, me too he says - which apartment I say - the one next to the one your renovating he says.

Oh Oh I am just waiting for 9am to start up my rotary drill to get those horrid tiles off the kitchen walls - you know I drilled and banged and bashed all that day - poor fella.

Never mind I finished it today and its on the market already - REA tells me she has 4 lined up to look. Excellant, she only took 1 week to sell my last one at 20k over what I thought the market was paying.

Keep at it, have fun and if you get to far down in the depressions, take a day or 2 off and relax/recharge, its not going anywhere. Your reno is a bigger job than mine and I do. Tho I work on my own - no one to moan to etc,

Celeste:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Celeste

Do my eyes decieve me or do I see someone using a log splitter as a sledge hammer?

I'm laughing - Just checked with Geoff - and yep, you're correct :D Is this not the etiquette? ;) I guess it has a sledge hammer on the back - but it worked well to get the bricks out too - and great at cutting the bricks.

Cheers,
Jen

I'm laughing - Just checked with Geoff - and yep, you're correct :D Is this not the etiquette? ;)

Some other 'wrong tool' tricks that have proved their efficacy over time:

* Kitchen knives as flat-bladed screwdrivers

* Pointy knives for phillips head screws

* Screwdrivers for getting gunk from under fingernails

* Scissors for tapered reamers (used to put holes in metal sheeting)

* As above but with screwdriver through handle holes to provide more leverage

* As above but using long nose pliers if scissors are too small to fit through pilot hole (which might only be 1/4 inch if that's your biggest drill bit)

* Hammered screwdrivers to make small holes in soft metal (aluminium)

This has worked for electronics, but I'd make a terrible DIYer for houses ;)

Peter

Well done Jen and Geoff (and Geoff's Dad), you achieved so much in such a short time!!

Keep posting I am really enjoying your story - been there - done that - and now enjoying watching you, I can smell the dust!! :D

Chris

Looks good so far. Be sure to include plenty of pics of that bathroom. The before of the bath is really scarey. Would hate to be claustrophobic & trying to have a wash.:eek:

I'm laughing - Just checked with Geoff - and yep, you're correct :D Is this not the etiquette? ;) I guess it has a sledge hammer on the back - but it worked well to get the bricks out too - and great at cutting the bricks.

It got the job done, thats the important thing.. but your husband needs a bit of a slap around for not using it as an opportunity to shoot out to Bunnings and get the real-deal sledge hammer :)

Auction Day!

Hi all,

Today was my first experience at Gray's Auctions - what a day! To any newbies doing a reno, or looking for their own home, or anything else for that matter, I can highly recommend attending home renovator type auctions - there are definitly bargains to be had!! I've never been to one, and honestly have always been nervous of going - but Geoff had a once in a lifetime day off during the week so I pulled a sicky (shhhh!! ;) - thought I would be able to turn up back to work in the afternoon - but we didn't get out of there until almost 5pm!) - and I could have bought so much more, but was able to contain myself to what we needed :D

Our purchases:

Ceramic Cooktop $350
Multi function oven: $550 (this was our worst buy of the day I think, but still well under RRP)
Toilet: $220
Designer Mixer Tap: $30 (this was by FAR our best buy, but there's a story to it)
1 and 1/2 bowl Sink: $60
Vacuum: $40 (for us, not the unit :p )

Just to tell the obvious to those who've been to these auctions but educate those that have never been - if there's more than one of something available (and you have no fear of the bidding person buying the lot - this only really seemed to happen in the building supplies) - whatever the highest bid is - winning bidder chooses the quantity he wants, and then anyone can buy the rest at the same price (so when there's 20 items of a rangehood available - don't bid - you're only pushing up the price of something you'll be able to get for the lowest price anyways).

Also, at the end of the auction - you can buy the things that didn't sell (since many auctions in different areas happen at the same time, you'll miss on bidding on many things - but you can afford to miss the auction for the things that there's heaps of for sale and buy them end of the auction - and focus on the things there's only one of and you want it!) - if there was 10 of something available, and 3 sold, you can buy it for the same price (or even cheaper - if you talk to the right person - my gorgeous mixer tap for instance - went from $100 (price taps were sold for - they sell many types together, highest bidder gets first choice) to $90 - "can do me a deal" - to $30!! :D ) - This didn't work on the oven, but we did get it after the auction for the same price that everyone else paid for it. I think we should have left it and I attend the next auction on Sat, but Geoff was there to help carry and it had the look and functions I'm after (ah, yes - bring a person or device to help carry - don't expect them to bring it out to your car!!).

I think I will find it VERY hard to shop at "regular" stores again! Some things (eg aircon, dishwashers) sold for pretty normal prices - but most things had great prices. The ones we purchased had warranty's as well.

It goes REALLY fast - so if you want it, BID! (Unless, like I said before, there's heaps available - then wait and you'll get one). By the time you think about it, it's sold! But at the same time, it goes REALLY slow - we were there ALL day, and there's LOTs of waiting in lines when it's all over.

Very fun, very worth it, very tiring - can't wait to go again!! After today, will certainly be able to make my budget of total cost of all new stainless kitchen appliances for under $2,000 :D .

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen,

Thanks for posting your experiences on the auctions! I've always been curious as to whether its worth going. I like the auction system they use - thanks for the tips! I wonder how many people don't know these tricks and push the prices up.

Just one question, do the auctions have a reserve price? What does the bidding start at? Reserve price maybe?

Cheers.
Ozi

Hi all

3 weeks ago I went to an auction on flooring - solid T & G bamboo prefinished
I went with a max price in mind per sq mtr. $30sqm, I worked out the cheapest I could get reasonable carpet / tiles was $35 sqm.

Had several lots of about 100sqm marked on my cat. - noticed early that the smaller lots (approx. 50sqm) were selling for $20 or less sqm and the larger ones (80+ sqm)were going for $30-35 sqm so I quickly checked out all the smaller lots with the same pattern and the same or a shade lighter/darker and marked them. Decided I could mix them up when laying.

I then started bidding on the smaller lots - got 2 1 x 55 sqm $18sqm 1 x 68 $20 sqm, the ones I had marked originally went for $30 + sqm - they will be my wow factor for the duplex pair I have to reno and possible enough for the apartment I have on hold.

And now I do not have to rip up the lino and floor tiles in any of the reno's, I can lay it over the top extra savings - excellant.

Oh and the boards are a lovely honey color with a gloss finish.

Celeste

Back