lizzie's kitchen and bathroom reno

not the tiles - the room itself is a triangle-ish shape with the two points at the ends of the long side cut off. hard to explain but the head of the bath fits into one of the cut off points, and the vanity fits near the other - with the door in the long side of the triangle.

i think i'll go with "3" - the black marble look.

i won't be disappointed as we're reno-ing this one for sale before we move back into our ppor (which is currently rented) sometime in the next 3 years ... so i'm not to attached, and want to wow factor, without spending to much.

another week has passed - and the progress is still going sloooow after the initial bust and tear of ripping out.

the kitchen doors and ends, which were supposed to arrive last week aren't coming until wednesday. we've been plastering and sanding (my job - look at the muscles!!) this weekend, and everything just takes longer than necessary ... hubby had to move the back door 2cm sideways - no problems because of the packing around the frame - but then it wouldn't shut (despite putting braces across it before taking the frame out), so fiddle fiddle fiddle.

internally we have to meet gyprock up against cement render (the internal walls are double brick with cement render), so trying to get the perfect match, and with the same piece of gyprock going around a 45degree corner, was more fiddle fiddle.

hey!!! i have a working oven now. makes me very happy :D

we've also hit a snag with the hallway cornicing. we had to take out the end-of-hallway bulkhead due to wall removal - and hence had to raise the hallways ceiling to match the open area ceiling height (removal of battons and new gyprock) but when we came to measure up for the ornate 120x150 cornices to go up - damn - they're not high enough to quite cover the ragged tops of the render edge on the internal brickwork. need to be another 20 high.

we have already bought all the cornice and it's sitting in the shed, so trying to think of options now. we may have to put a thin layer of gyprock from the picture rail up in the hall to cover the chipped and missing render, unfortunately can't just plaster to repair was it would be plaster meeting old brick and render (lime mortar). even new cement rendering would crack against the old render, so not really an option either.

any suggestions from someone who has faced this problem ... go right ahead. we have discussed putting the high side of the cornice on a backing board that hangs down the extra 2cm - but then we'd have to do this around the entire room as well as the hall - maybe ... still thinking about options.

anyhow - otherwise this week - i've bought all the tiles for the kitchen and bathroom while on sale, the electrican wired up the new area so we have power and lighting throughout, been painting the front of the house still, installed the drip watering system in the front garden, cut down two small and very scruffy council strip shrubs (took hubby 3 days to notice), ate the first strawberry from the vege garden, planted carrots and sunflowes (juniors choice).

oh, and the tree lopper was supposed to remove 5 huge sydney blue gums from my yard today ... but the moment he got all the ropes up a howling southerly blasted thru. typical :rolleyes: after 3 days of 30+ days.

hopefully more progress next week.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 131
gosh - i haven't posted in simply ages.

lots has been happening, but it's mostly been behind the scenes stuff - rendering internal brick, plastering, painting ceilings, floor tiling, framing, lowering the rear deck and replacing the above-deck ceiling ... but a couple of major milestones were reached this weekend.

the laundry tub was installed and my washing machine is back inside the house! and the kitchen cupboards doors were finally all put on and handles attached (hubby wasn't allowed to leave the room until this was done). i used my dishwasher for the first time last night - which (sounds weird) was really exciting.

i've also been setting out the garden beds for the backyard, planting heaps so they get maximum growing time and putting in the watering system. the falling down side fence has also been replaced and i spent most of this weekend repairing and painting the decorative foyer ceilings.

i also wasted two day with serious muttering! hubby wanted me to strip the old cedar window frames (very fiddly) to match the new cedar timber frames - i just wanted to paint the lot (to match) as i knew who would be doing the stripping - so a spent a day on the heat gun, only for him to come home and admit that perhaps they would look better all painted after all.

took me another full day to clean the window up to "paintability" stage and repaint. grrrrrr.

also had a week in new zealand.

this week i'll be painting the hallway walls and hoping to replace the vege garden beds as the "in ground" timber all warped, so will put in the galvanised cut off tank beds instead. seeing the accountant today for (hopefully) a large refund, mowing the lawns, getting a much needed haircut and mailing off some blankets.

the builder is planning on starting in two weeks on my two new 20m2 decks - one off the back of the existing deck and one down the end of the yard with a roof over (cabana style) for the daybed etc.

next stop - bathroom!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 172
real estate photographer coming today - will put up the link when listed early next week. assuming the property is still unsold next week :D

Hi, lizzie

I've just loved watching your progress. Good luck with the sale.

I have a question about your floorboards which I presume (possibly incorrectly) that you sanded and sealed : did you fill the gaps between the boards, and if so, what did you use?

I'm in an on-going debate with hubby about what to use in one of our places.

cheers

fortunately the gaps weren't big enough to require filling, so sorry i can't help with that.

also sorry i didn't keep up with posting about the reno. some weeks nothing would happen and then other weeks so much that i didn't know where to start. my photos also didn't do justice to the visual effect.

looking forward to posting the professional photos.

Back