Painting over nicotine stains

I've just finished sugar soaping one of our IP's from ceiling to floor due to thick grease and smoke stains ... disgusting job (I used a squeagie floor mop, it worked brilliantly). I then just used an enamel based undercoat to seal the surface before painting with acrylic (water based) paint.

I'm an ex tradesman painter ..... you really don't need to spend a heap on fancy products, ..... once you've washed the surfaces, just apply an oil based undercoat to the surface and then use whatever you want afterwards. Just hunt out a cheapie product from your hardware or paint shop.

Martin

Wattyl sealer, not sure what it's called but you get the one that is for sealing after smoke or water damage or there is another one that you can use to seal over old varnish, 2 different products.

The old varnishes are like your smoke tar that just seep through the paint and give it a brownish tinge.

It's all about prep work, sugar soap, sanding, filling, sanding, etc 2-3 days prep for a few hours of painting = fantastic looking job.

Cheers
Graeme

Back