Peter Spann's new book title

Can an average joe accumulate a networth of $10million in 10 years?

• Yes, anyone can do if they put their mind to it

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Possible for some, but very few and only if they work like dogs towards it

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • No, its misleading and dangerous to suggest it can be done.

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
np2003 said:
of course it's possible for the average joe..

I'm aiming for networth of $10 million in 5 years. :D
Would you care to complete your story?

How long ago did you start on the road to independance? ie read your first book, attend seminar or just start saving a deposit.
Did you have assetts to borrow against?
Low, Med or High salary earner?

Thanks, Thommo

If the 'average Joe' is willing to change I know it's possible. He has to however 'want' to change.

Received this today from Jim Rohn's weekly email - a good read.

"I have found that income seldom will exceed your own personal development. Once in a while income takes a lucky jump, but unless you grow out to where it is it will go back to where you are. Somebody once said if you took all the money in the world and divided it among everyone equally, it would soon be back in the same pockets. However, you can have more because you can become more. You see, here is how the other side of the coin reads - unless you change how you are, you will always have what you've got. The marketing plan won't do it. It's a good plan but it won't work without you. You've got to work it. It is the human effort that counts. If you could send a sales manual out to recruit - wouldn't that be lovely? The major thing that makes the difference is what YOU do."

np2003 said:
of course it's possible for the average joe..

I'm aiming for networth of $10 million in 5 years. :D

Wow, if u pull that off, Ill be VERY impressed. Care to teach us your secrets?

Hi all,

I'm going to be a party pooper here.

I don't think that Peter Spann could go from $0 to $10,000,000 in the NEXT 10 years. This is if he used the SAME methodology to get him to where he is today.

Let me explain further. The prevailing conditions for the last 10 years will be different in the next 10 years. We have had huge falls in interest rates and lenders falling over themselves to lend money. Cap growth has been exceptional allowing those who went out on a limb to reap the benefits.
Peter Spann claims that most of his wealth came from "cosmetic" renovations/revaluations, that allowed him to borrow more for the next purchase.
Ask yourself, will the increases in valuation be as great in the current market?? How long will this situation last?? Will the seminar business be as great for property gurus in the next few years??

bye

Bill.L said:
I don't think that Peter Spann could go from $0 to $10,000,000 in the NEXT 10 years. This is if he used the SAME methodology to get him to where he is today.
Agree. But he (Mr Spann) has the mindset to make it back into the money! And he would use different methods now.

I had a friend who made his first million by 23 years old. He divorced- and then gave his ex EVERYTHING. He started out from scratch again- and made it all back many times. (I suspect the ex has nothing now).

Richard Branson's autobiography is great- a poor student who worked hard for every opportunity- and never let any setback set him back (from the book "Losing my Virginity").

That all said- while cosmetic renos may not do quite so fantastic now:

1. He has lots of share techniques for getting both growth and income
2. Buy and Hold has a lot going for it (imho)- but there may be a wait for the benefits in the current market.

Hi geoff,

"1. He has lots of share techniques for getting both growth and income"

I've just just had a quick look around the freeman fox website and hope that the following

"discover value-adding techniques and a little-known but highly profitable strategy known as ‘covered calls’.

Plus you’ll learn how to ‘insure’ your shares against market ‘crashes’ so you profit regardless of whether the market is going up or down!"

is not what you were referring to.

Also remember that if you start from nothing today, you cannot get into the share market in any shape or form today. You need either cash or equity to get started.

If he would use different methods now, why is he still promoting the other ones I mentioned earlier on the web page???

As for buy and hold(on stocks) just remember that of the original 30 stocks in the DJIA in 1928, only one remains today General Electric.

bye

P.S.
I believe that there will be many people who go from $0 to $10,000,000 in the next ten years, but none of them will be average Joes.(unless of course a loaf of bread costs you $500 in ten years time)

Bill.L said:
P.S.
I believe that there will be many people who go from $0 to $10,000,000 in the next ten years, but none of them will be average Joes.(unless of course a loaf of bread costs you $500 in ten years time)
Agreed! And those that do make it will not be walking in Spann's footsteps.

They will blaze a new trail, all their own.

The fire may be lit during a Spann seminar, or when reading an inspiring book but s/he will adapt to the everchanging conditions and make it.

Of course Dick Smith and Richard Bransen could repeat their successes. They are naturals. Both amazingly adept at self promotion.

You cannot use "average Joe" and "covered calls" in the same sentance. You need a qualified and understanding broker in that business and there is none in my home town.

For a clue on where i believe the next fortunes may be made, read
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15724

I picked an oiler last Dec which has nearly quadrupled since. But it's not just oil, it's all physical stuff. If you're brave, get into sugar while it is still depressed. (it will not start rising next week though)

These comments are of a general nature only and should not be considered investment advice.

Thommo

Thommo said:
You cannot use "average Joe" and "covered calls" in the same sentance.
The "average joe" should not employ a "covered calls" strategy. :D (sorry Thommo couldn't resist)

I agree with the sentiment of the last few posts.

A different wealth strategy is required right now for people looking for a ten year timeframe.

IMHO:
The business cycle has turned up.....therefore people should consider a higher weighting for business-styled investments in portfolios - shares, direct investments, whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Equally many commodities are doing nicely, look at the markets...and anyone exporting to India or China with existing relationships is worth investigating.

Anyone who uses petrol should consider energy investments....it costs as much to fill your tank with petrol as it does to buy a barrel of oil on the market. If risk-adverse, consider Woodside, Hardman or Santos, if you have some speculative funds, consider the juniors, Stuart and Cooper are both worth investigating (as is Merlin, but I'm biased).

Do your own research as always & speak to a financial planner if you want advice (because they are legally allowed to give it, look out for their biases as well), or go do the research yourself - there's plenty of information out there.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Bill.L said:
As for buy and hold(on stocks) just remember that of the original 30 stocks in the DJIA in 1928, only one remains today General Electric.

C'mon Bill, that's not a real argument vs buy and hold! See your recommended website www.travismorien.com FAQ.

Many critics say that "buy and hold" means buying a stock and holding it for ever, without paying any attention to it. They point to the major companies in the index and note that very few of the companies that were leading lights 100 years ago are still around. Thus, say the critics, buy and hold is foolish. These critics are attacking a "straw man" (Shorter Oxford Dictionary defintion: "an imaginary adversary invented in order to be triumphantly confuted"). I know of no book on "buy and hold" investing that advocates purchasing securities and completely ignoring them, except for those that advocate index funds. Since index funds do change their composition over time as the indexes themselves change, this argument is wholly irrelevant.

Cheers
N.:D

Hi all,

Thommo, you can use those words in the same sentance as writing covered calls is an average Joe strategy.

For example using Geoffs NAB shares(sorry geoff :eek: ) as an example.

Lets say he purchased them for $32 and bought 1000 shares as a long term buy and hold(This by itself is a poor start that I disagree with). Then to make sure you get to keep the premium you write calls at $34, well out of the money. You then make sure the calls are a couple of months out so that there is some fat in the premium. For this exercise you receive the bid ask spread of 23-27 cents. This means that if you sell the calls you will likely receive $230(.23 * 1000) minus commission ~$50.
Over the next 10 weeks(til expiry) the share price falls to $31. Geoff keeps his $180, but has lost $1000 on the shares. He then writes another call and again gets to keep his $180, but this time the price went back to $32. He keeps doing the same and the exercise shows a profit of about $720 PA or 2.25% PA on his original investment. He continues diong this for a couple of years. So far so good.
Then suddenly the price collapses $4 per share due to an unexpected event. When his previous options expire he writes another, again $2 above the market price. The market rebounds, but again the options expire worthless so he keeps the premium. Then there is another surprise announcement and again the price collapses $4, a few days before the next write. As the strategy has been working well for a couple of years, and has coped with the collapse before, Geoff writes his calls. This time however the market rallies significantly, and these calls expire $4 in the money. What does geoff now do?? Does he pay the $4000 to close out the contract(as his strategy implies) or let the shares be called?? If he lets the shares be called, his overall position for several years of trading calls could look like this...

Bought stock $32000
profit on calls over 2.5 years $1800
Sold stock $30000

This is truly an average joe strategy. Instead of losing $2000 he only lost $200 and 2.5 years of his money working for him.

Again sorry Geoff :eek:

bye

Hi Nigel,

While I do recommend people viewing what is written on the site, I don't agree with everything that is written there.

The book reviews are especially interesting, but the the arguments on shares over property use the typical FP perspective.(they look at how property is not that good after taking out inflation, but somehow forget to do the same to managed funds).

bye

Bill.L said:
Hi geoff,

"1. He has lots of share techniques for getting both growth and income"

I've just just had a quick look around the freeman fox website and hope that the following

"discover value-adding techniques and a little-known but highly profitable strategy known as ‘covered calls’.

Plus you’ll learn how to ‘insure’ your shares against market ‘crashes’ so you profit regardless of whether the market is going up or down!"

is not what you were referring to.

Also remember that if you start from nothing today, you cannot get into the share market in any shape or form today. You need either cash or equity to get started.

If he would use different methods now, why is he still promoting the other ones I mentioned earlier on the web page???

bye

P.S.
Mr Spann covers a range of strategies. They do cover property, buy and hold (but keeping an eye on them- NOT for 76 years), covered calls (with a lot of protective strategies), and options trading strategies.

For trading strategies, a $10K minimum is suggested. For anything else, there were many people who did not realise that they had money in equirty, shares, or super funds. The covered call strategy was of mostly benefit for people who were holding the shares already- and there were a lot of those people.

Hi geoff,

What does "keep an eye on them" actually mean in regard to a buy and hold strategy??

The part about the only stock remaining in the DJIA from 76 years ago is meant to highlight that nothing is just buy and hold. You have to eventually TRADE out of the position. When you trade you should set yourself targets and goals for both directions.

Warren Buffets two rules of investing are:

1. Never lose money and

2. Never forget rule number 1!

"covered calls (with a lot of protective strategies)" Anyone who promotes such a strategy does not fully understand options trading. There are cheaper methods that use less capital to do EXACTLY the same thing. OK some people may already own some shares, but putting a poor strategy over the top of another poor strategy does not make it a good strategy.(It certainly wont help you get to a $10m property portfolio in 10 years)

"and options trading strategies." All these "strategies" have names like "calendar spread" or "bull spread" or "ratio call spread" or "butterfly spread" or "straddle" or a whole bunch of others. Can you share the name of some of these strategies of Spann's or is that giving away a trade secret. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I appear a little agressive on the questions Geoff, but it is just that I have a certain meter that rises with just about every "investment guru" who wants to sell you the secret to a fortune.

Can every average Joe run a seminar business that would finance the purchase of $10m in property??

bye

If asked, I would say my strategy is to hold a portfolio of quality assetts which generally look after themselves.

But what are they? I don't know so I buy some and see how they go. If they don't live up to expectations I switch. I think of it as "weeding the garden".

But buy 'n' hold can work. I have mentioned my elderly Aunt before but she invested 250 pounds in the regional TV station when it floated. Pulled $17k dividends last year. She did sell others she didn't like such as Ansett and Telstra though so it wasn't simply dumb luck.

Thommo

Bill.L said:
All these "strategies" have names like "calendar spread" or "bull spread" or "ratio call spread" or "butterfly spread" or "straddle" or a whole bunch of others. Can you share the name of some of these strategies of Spann's or is that giving away a trade secret.
The strategies consisted of dangerous techniques like "buy" and "sell". And used even more dangerous strategies like Fundamental Analysis (for buy and hold- drawing a lot on Warren Buffet's ideas) and Technical Analysis for trading, using options especially.

Covered calls with puts for protection was the most advanced strategy he covered. I don't know how that compares with any other technique, it's not something I've followed.

I've learnt enough about shares to know that I'm not very good with them. Witness NAB :D

Give me a nice property any day.

Peter Spann has been in the seminar business for 10 years now, and has done well out of it. He's outlasted a lot of others.

And he got me off my backside and onto a path of Wealth Creation.

Hi Geoff,

Don't get me wrong Geoff, I think there is a lot of useful information in Spann's book, however I think that claiming any average Joe can have a $10,000,000 property portfolio in 10 years is beyond the pale. (I think I saw something in the book about limiting risk).

Mentioning esoteric strategies such as buying and selling of options, and Warren Buffett's fundamental approach together is probably not that accurate either. Buffett has never thought highly of options.

Actually Geoff, there is no reason why you can't be good with shares. You just have to have discipline and tell yourself when you make a mistake in a purchase to correct the mistake(ie get rid of it). Every successful share trader makes many mistakes, they just make sure they don't cost much money.

With regard to your NAB shares, what are your actual goals in owning them?? Do you have a target?? ie in 2 years time they will be $40, 5years $60, 10 years $100?? Are you hoping that the yield will stay high when the shares get to these levels?? What action will you take if the shares do/don't perform according to your goals??
By "keeping an eye on" shares you need to answer the above type questions when you invest, and it would be best to write them down to help in your own recollection of why you bought in the first place. You also need to establish an "uncle" point.

The above Q's are for yourself not necessarily to post on a forum like this.

Buy my book! (Pretty please) :)

As you all know I am always reluctant to “buy in” to arguments in any forum on my work.

However, as this is discussing my book, I think I should at least say something (and of course it gives me a great opportunity to plug myself!).

1. Sunstone is correct – the title refers to building a property portfolio of $10 million in ten years, it does not have anything to do with net worth or “Average Joes” (isn’t he some guy on a reality TV show?) so maybe it’s the poll that is misleading??? (but thanks for the attention anyway). :D

2. Anybody who has ever read any of my posts knows I do not defend my strategies – people can make what they like of them, take the things applicable to their situation and discard the rest - but I would like to correct one thing – Bill – I suggest you pay closer attention to Mr Buffett’s strategies and the actual way they “trade” for Berkshire Hathaway rather than the publicly accepted (and Buffett promoted) myths. Your “Buffett doesn’t think much of options” statement seems a little off the mark considering their current portfolio. And is it really worth the typing to be arguing on the definition of “buy and hold”? Sheesh – there are properties out there going cheap!

3. This is a property forum – what are we doing discussing options and shares at all? I think it is particularly dangerous to be discussing such a complex and potentially loss making form of trading in a public forum without an understanding of levels of knowledge or education.

4. Trading makes up a small part of my strategy and while I concede that there are hundreds of different options strategies, Covered Calls are simple and easy and that’s why I like it.

5. Thanks again for the positive comments on my work from those of you who did so. And more importantly congratulations to those of you who have gone on to make money, any money from any form of investing, property in particular. The comments about that often laughed about “mind-set” are 100% accurate.

6. As a niggly thing – I prefer not to be referred to as a “seminar presenter” (although it is obvious that I am one), a “guru” (because I am a fellow student like everybody else in here), or most particularly a “spruiker” (although I am sure there are many who think of me that way) – I am a “Financial Adviser” (and those who know me at all will know how I intend that!). Seminars are a fun, simple and efficient way to learn for many people and that’s why I love them but 90% of my work is acting as a Financial Adviser to my clients.

7. And I say that because my company is a Financial Services company that makes it money (and yes, thanks, we are very profitable – since when did that become something not to aspire to?) through Financial Planning, Stock Broking, Mortgage Finance, Real Estate Sales and Managed Investments. And by the way for those of you who do know me you will remember that I was a “genuine” multi-millionaire (for some years) before I ever presented a wealth creation seminar.

8. The title of the book was picked by the publisher and it is designed to do one thing only – sell books. As the book is already on Dymock’s Business Best Seller list (one week from release) seems they have been successful!

9. While I agree that the strategies you will need to adopt in the next 10 years may vary from what I did in the last 10 years, seems to me the investment / business cycle has rolled on and done what its done just about the same every decade for hundreds of years. Maybe exactly the same strategies will work again? We’ll all know the answer in 10 years! :)

10. And finally, yes I do, unequivocally believe that gaining $10 million in 10 years is possible and I think it is a feat more likely to be achieved by an “Average Joe” than anybody else because they are not continuously questioning strategy – they just get on and do it.

Have fun, profit from your investments and buy the book! (I need the $2 royalty! Ha Ha).

I just finished reading the book today and thought it was excellent. It seemed to have most of the bases covered and was a good read. I do have a question however, you claim to go from broke to millionaire in 3.5 years or something (very impressive stuff), but did that 3.5 years start with your first investment, or your first real interesting in investment or your first RE day of hunting for something to buy?.

Hi all,

Isn't it amazing just who pays attention to the goings on in this forum.

Peter,

Since you wish to refute a few things, perhaps you could answer why you don't promote a simpler and easier strategy of naked puts instead of covered calls??( Oh and cheaper to implement as well).
If you have "protective puts" in place in the strategy, why not just a spread using puts at 2 different strike prices?? Again a simple, easy and cheaper strategy than the covered call/protective put strategy.

Warren Buffett does hold FX contracts, short $US. He holds these because....
"Berkshire holds many billions of cash-equivalants demoninated in dollars. So I feel more comfortable owning foreign-exchange contracts that are at least a partial offset to that position."
Berkshire-Hathaway 2003 AGM.

Could you please quote my where you think Warren Buffett has claimed to be in favor of trading options??

bye

P.S. I like your book though I have not read it all yet. I would recommend people added it to their list of purchases.

Back