Poll: What's your annual household income from your day job only?

What's your annual household income from your job only?

• $0 - $50k

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • $51 - $70k

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • $71 - $90k

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • $91 - $110k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $111 - $130k

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • $131 - $150k

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • $151 - $170k

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • $171k - $190k

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • $191 - $210k

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • $211 - $230k

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • $231 - $250k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $251 - $270k

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • $271 - $290k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • $291 - $310k

• $311 - $330k

• $331 - $350k

• $351 - $370k

• $371 - $390k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $391 - $410k

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • $410k+

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know about anyone else but I learn't more hanging out at the uni bar than in any lecture hall.

University gives you time and space to grow into the person you want to become, helps you raise your standards, teaches you to think critically and delivers a set of skills.

For me personally I have a lot more confidence in the business world coming in with a big tool box of skills.

This is a good post. Uni is not for everyone, however you can get a lot more out of it than just the technical knowledge and piece of paper.

just as well, as the technical knowledge apparently doesn't account for much as some have alluded to :confused

This may be comparatively true when considering $ in isolation. Personally, I have a range of 'pieces of paper' from Trade Apprenticeship completion through to a Bachelor of Engineering and later this year, onto a Masters of Science in Engineering... I have been asked by a few friends why I bother, when we know that this course of study & career development is not the biggest $ spinner.

Well, my life does not revolve around $. If $ was my primary motivator to get out of bed in the morning, I would be living a dismal existence IMHO. Sure, we all require $ to enjoy certain aspects in life, but some things $ just can't buy! A billion $ won't cure cancer.... Scientists will! I implore people to be thankful for the 'professionals' who dedicate their lives to pursuing such endeavours so that WE can enjoy a better quality of life.

Don't take it for granted if you didn't achieve it! Be thankful and humble... ;)

People with degrees are no less dismal that people with degrees! Have you ever seen a happy academic?

I agree there is a place but its not the be all and end all!

This is a good post. Uni is not for everyone, however you can get a lot more out of it than just the technical knowledge and piece of paper.
Agreed.

University is a lot more than just a piece of paper. It takes drive, energy, effort, intellect, passion, sacrifice, time and money to complete a degree. They're not easy! For someone to dismiss this out of hand as just a piece of paper is naiive, derogatory and insecure. It takes years of disciplined hard work to achieve a University education and in doing so genuinely builds a very strong skill set along the way both professional and technical.

I commend anyone who has the commitment and sacrifice to do the hard work required to achieve their degree. Just like I commend anyone who has the discipline and hard work to achieve results in other fields of endeavour.

To dismiss education out of hand is very shortminded. We're only on this rock for a fixed period of time. Seeking to develop your mind and capabilities to their maximum potential should not be considered a failing, quite the opposite. I'm done studying for now having finished my MBA and being awarded the University Medal. But at some point I will no doubt return to school, probably in an unrelated discipline, maybe philosophy or economics or a mix of both. ;)

You don't need a degree to be wealthy but I disagree wholeheartedly with those that argue a degree is an impedement to wealth.

When I hear someone say a degree is just a piece of paper I immediately get a mental image of some obese person sitting in front of the Olympics watching the mens 100m final and saying: "yeah, they're OK. I could do that if I wanted to but I decided I could spend my time better elsewhere". Yeah right. Don't criticize what you haven't achieved yourself. If you've got a degree then you've got the insight required to make informed criticism. Armchair observers have no cred. I don't care how good you think you are.

Cheers,
Michael

Michale kudos for pro education side. I agree in the main.

I dont think a degree is just a piece of paper. It does take commitment and inginuity and all those things - but so do other activities!

Its about perspective. Why is a degree seen as a higher achievement than say growing a business, becoming a church leader or making lots of money?

All are worthwhile (or not worthwhile in equal droves)! IMO opinion anyway.

75 percent of the people I know say they do not use most of the skills they were tought at school. Many many people lament that University was primarily about the certificate at the end of it. that is the cynical reality. Most of my lecturers were terrible!

Why is algebra or English literature more important than say 'the cashflow game' in everyday life?

I agree that a degree is NOT an impediment to wealth. having said that though many doctors and lawyers have no financial sence and believe that a high wage is the road to wealth.

How many doctors and lawyers contribute to this website? Maybe they are too busy...

Agreed.

University is a lot more than just a piece of paper. It takes drive, energy, effort, intellect, passion, sacrifice, time and money to complete a degree. They're not easy! For someone to dismiss this out of hand as just a piece of paper is naiive, derogatory and insecure. It takes years of disciplined hard work to achieve a University education and in doing so genuinely builds a very strong skill set along the way both professional and technical.

I commend anyone who has the commitment and sacrifice to do the hard work required to achieve their degree. Just like I commend anyone who has the discipline and hard work to achieve results in other fields of endeavour.

To dismiss education out of hand is very shortminded. We're only on this rock for a fixed period of time. Seeking to develop your mind and capabilities to their maximum potential should not be considered a failing, quite the opposite. I'm done studying for now having finished my MBA and being awarded the University Medal. But at some point I will no doubt return to school, probably in an unrelated discipline, maybe philosophy or economics or a mix of both. ;)

You don't need a degree to be wealthy but I disagree wholeheartedly with those that argue a degree is an impedement to wealth.

When I hear someone say a degree is just a piece of paper I immediately get a mental image of some obese person sitting in front of the Olympics watching the mens 100m final and saying: "yeah, they're OK. I could do that if I wanted to but I decided I could spend my time better elsewhere". Yeah right. Don't criticize what you haven't achieved yourself. If you've got a degree then you've got the insight required to make informed criticism. Armchair observers have no cred. I don't care how good you think you are.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael - awesome post. I look back at my time at Uni and although I don't use all the tools I was tested for over the years, Uni did teach me how to deal with vast amount of data, analysis and problem solving, and, in the main, perseverance. It's not easy getting that piece of paper, especially through engineering disciplines. I would not be earning multiples of the average salary if it was not for my 4 years sacrifice at university..

Agreed.

Cheers,
Michael

Kudos to you Michael... great post!

I personally don't view my qualifications as merely 'pieces of paper' and use the term tongue in cheek on occasion. The education knockers are in indeed shortsighted IMO as they still need and USE Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots, Engineers, CPAs, Dentists, Vets, Policemen and more everyday! If it is so easy, why don't they do it all themselves? :rolleyes:

IMO, the world need a balance of those that make the commitment to professional studies and those that don't. ;)

Back