PPoR reno

Here's a pic of the kitchen so far.

The cupboards are still covered in plastic, so the true colour can't be seen.

It is a polytec/createc Carbon Micro Gloss finish.

Sort of brown with a slight fleck and a grey undertone.

The splashback under the island bench in the forefront of the photo is the same, but is still covered in dust. It will eventually have a ceasarstone top and sides, as will the benchtop in the background.

Attachments

• Photo0148.jpg
    Photo0148.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 210
The end result will be bamboo floorboards with matching (as close as possible) bamboo floors inside and decks outside. Should look good........we hope.
Looks good on plan with the stacking sliding doors! Do you know if the bamboo is resistant to discolouring from the sun?

UPDATE:

All the vanity units are in, the kitchen cupboards, bar, laundry cupboards as well.

The stone benchtops are now in, and look terrific. Unfortunately the one in our ensuite was drilled wrong - holes off-centre.

I don't know how they could get this wrong as the holes are drilled on-site, but there you go. They're replacing it, which will slow down the tilers a bit until it gets done. They are due to start on Thursday, and will have to leave the vanity section in our ensuite until last.

The sparky was there yesterday installing all the downlights (ceilings have already finished being painted), and the builder was also there finishing off the architreves, skirts, window frames and door furniture.

He is starting on the wrdrobe shelves and cupboard shelves tomorrow.

We have decided to get him only to do the top full shelf in the robes, and we will finish off the rest in a do-it-yourself system called ELFA.

http://au.elfa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?catalogId=12551&langId=61&storeId=12155

Not your traditional type of shelving and drawers, but they actually look terrific in the flesh and the quality is great.

The pool guys were there on Thur laying out the pipes for the plumbing to start - hopefully Tues weather permitting, and we have selected the tiles, coping and finish for the 3 outer spa walls which protrude out from the top section of the bottom deck.

The bottom section of the lower deck around the pool will start next week; this has to be done before the drainage system and bulkhead across the bottom of the top deck can be completed - they need the bottom deck as support for scaffolding to get up to that level.

A fight is about to start between the window crowd and the builder, because one of the windows in the kitchen has a deep scratch in it just above the finger pull (double hung). Of course; the tradies after the window was installed are denying they did it, and the window installers are saying they wouldn't have installed it with a scratch in it.

We have decided to get him only to do the top full shelf in the robes, and we will finish off the rest in a do-it-yourself system called ELFA.

http://au.elfa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?catalogId=12551&langId=61&storeId=12155

Not your traditional type of shelving and drawers, but they actually look terrific in the flesh and the quality is great.
We looked into Elfa as well, but decided to use Ikea Pax internal fittings. I think they look better - if avoiding wire baskets in both ranges - and I recollect that for equivalent quality, Ikea is much cheaper.

You can use their online wardrobe planner here, and it'll print off a list of components you need. You have to select doors and cabinets to get started, and set the size of your opening, but if you're installing into a space in a built-in, you just don't buy the doors and cabinets which they add to the shopping list. :)

We looked into Elfa as well, but decided to use Ikea Pax internal fittings. I think they look better - if avoiding wire baskets in both ranges - and I recollect that for equivalent quality, Ikea is much cheaper.

You can use their online wardrobe planner here, and it'll print off a list of components you need. You have to select doors and cabinets to get started, and set the size of your opening, but if you're installing into a space in a built-in, you just don't buy the doors and cabinets which they add to the shopping list. :)

Thanks Perp,

the doors for the two boys' robes are already part of the contract, and our walk in robe has no doors at all.

We like the look of the baskets, and after looking at the various companies' components, the Elfa has the better quality sliding mechanisms i think.

We looked at the "Form", but it was a bit Elcheapo.

The Ikea looks good too, but we're happy.

Courtesy of our architect, my wife has fallen in love with the wares of this mob.

Unfortunately for her she also fell in love with a bloke who can't face paying that sort of coin to hide clothes.:p

Last edited:

yeah i did you use the PAX wardrobe before. they're pretty good. Ikea has a good wardrobe range.

UPDATE:

Friday -

Glorious day weather wise, and not a single tradie in sight. :mad:

1. Tiles were due to start today, but the tiles have been delayed another week due to warf problems (for a change) and getting unloaded..

2. Bamboo deck was supposed to be delivered last wednesday, and installation to commence today, but the bamboo company uses their own crew to install bamboo decking.

The crew are still held up on another job up in Melb due to rain last week, and can't start until next friday.

Meanwhile, a bulkhead which needs to be finished off around the drainage system for the upstairs deck can't be completed until the bamboo deck is completed - they need the decking as part of the platform for the scaffolding to get to the upper deck area.

3. Garage door went in on Thursday,... and I don't like it. Should have gone with yer basic Colorbond colour, but went with a wood grain finish, which looks ok, but I'm not in love with it. Must ask the builder if it can be painted over....I can live with it as is, but.....

4. Colour of the pool tiles we wanted is no longer available, so had to go with option 2. Still looks good, but you know...

5. Window guys came back on Thurs to replace the upstairs lounge room sliding door frame which had been leaking. Had to rebuild the whole frame, and has been completed, but all the archi work had to be taken off to do this. Still sitting on the floor.

All in all - not a fun week.

At least the Sun finally came out to lift the spirits.

Pool tiling started today, and the plumbing for the pool filter etc was set up ready for the equipment to go in last.

The start with the walls from the top down, but only do half the wall height in a session.

Looks fantastic even though it's 1/3rd finished.

The painters are back in to do some final coats in some areas - bedrooms mainly.

Carpet has arrived at the shop ready for laying - about 3 weeks too early, but better this way than late.

Pool guys came in to render the spa yesterday. Will start on the tiling in there after the top level of deck is laid....they also finished off the preliminary pipe-laying for all the filters etc.

The bamboo decking started downstairs today...

Looks bloody awesome.

Photos after the w'end - they will have laid a decent amount to show you by then.

They have to work over the w'end - the Company only has one laying crew ATM, and the backlog has already blown out to a coupla months.

Just got back from a visit to the house at 5.30pm, and the deck guys were still there!!

They put in two solid days yesterday and today, but won't be back at our place until next Fri and sat.

They have almost completed the upper section of the bottom deck - around the spa and back door....

Looks terrific; even without the final coat of sealer. We are extremely pleased, and because the product is so new on the market, the Company wants this job to be especially good as a model and example for future reference.

The process is tedious - the decking is do hard that the stainless steel clips, which are like two tiny spears attached to a screw down base, cannot be pushed into the sides of the boards. Each board has to be routed on site at the spot where the spear goes in to each board, and then once the boards are set in place, they are hammered together to force the spears into the board at the depth of the routed area. Then the clip is screwed home. Without the routed rebate, the spears wouldn't penetrate the board.

Here are few pics; lighting is not too good unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 184
One more, plus a few of the house interior...

The Minister for War and Evil is in the foreground. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 193
Just to bore you a bit more...

Tiles have finally arrived - apparently the whole batch of floor tiles were defective (different to original story), had to be re-ordered. Will be delivered to the house tomorrow.

Attachments

• Front Door.jpg
    Front Door.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Bottom living, bar and stair to front door.JPG
    Bottom living, bar and stair to front door.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Island bench - with hole for cooktop..JPG
    Island bench - with hole for cooktop..JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 189
Update,

The bamboo decking is going along nicely; the top level of the bottom decks is complete, and they have started the level around the pool.

Minor disaster though; the first section of deck creaked like an old pirate ship. The clips that hold the boards down have a 2mm tab on each side that sit on the joist, then the board sits on them. I believe this clearance is causing too much movement.

We complained, and now the poor installer has to bog up each clip with a special resin as they lay each board.

Turns out the clip system is to be changed; but not until later in the year. We can't wait that long, so the compromise has been struck.

Tiling inside is about 75% complete and looks good. I'll give you some pics on that at the end after clean up - at this stage it looks dusty and uninspiring.

UPDATE:

Official move in day this wed, Nov 30, but had to move all the heavy stuff yesterday while had some strong men available to help...

Absolutely torrential rain all day long, and our driveway is still dirt - slopes down to the house. Nearly 2 inches of rain since yesterday morning.

FIL went in up to his knee in one spot down by the garage :eek:

We had a garage sale scheduled as well, which actually went quite well (the lightest rain was in the morning when most folk are out and about.

Managed to clear a lot of stuff despite the weather, but still a decent chunk of stuff to go to the tip and/or donated.. a lot of stuff was on the front porch where we are renting, facing north (as does the garage) and when the really heavy rain hit all the items copped the brunt and ruined every remaining book, and the garage flooded.

FIL and BIL and wife and I got absolutely drowned during the move; lots of towels laid on the new bamboo flooring, but managed to get it all in without any broken limbs or house.

Now it's just the smaller boxes and cleaning between now and wed. Still lots to do, but the end is in sight.

Supposedly a Cert of Occupancy inspection tomorrow, but still a few things not finished such and pool gates, a couple of the balustrading glass panels around the decks, oven is in and connected, but fixed in securely (needs two packs underneath), one small panel of glass on kitchen splashback. Won't affect us moving in though.

Back