QuickTime

Whenever I go to the main forum, I get a message bar "This website wants to run the following add-on: QuickTime from Apple Inc".

I've had this on IE6 and IE7. I thought this may have been just something with my computer- but I'm running on a different computer now and getting the same message.

Also, using the skin "Somersoft Plain Wide" I get a broken image link at the top LHS of the screen.

Shouldn't be happening - there's no reason for you to be needing to install QT when accessing the forums (unless there's something like a mov file embedded in a thread, but that shouldn't affect anything other than thread displays).

I suggest clearing your browser cache completely - could be a corrupted file there, sometimes gives weird results.

I've fixed the broken image.

The broken image has been fixed thanks.

I've cleared all history- files, cookies, everyting and rebooted and I still get it. (I have been getting it for a long time but just haven't reported it).

The other computer where I got the same message is a brand new laptop with no history.

Next time it happens, can you right click on the page, select "View Source", save the resulting information in a text file and email that to me as an attachment to support AT somersoft.com

Do you have up to date anti virus on your machines ?

Okay - I've checked the file you sent me and there's nothing nefarious in there that I can see.

From what I've read after Googling for more information, it could be that you have an incomplete installation of Quicktime on your computer. If you have installed any Apple software (including iTunes or Safari) on your machine, you will most likely have QT installed as well.

You can try looking in the Add/Remove programs area in the control panel to see if there's an entry for "QuickTime", and if so, try ininstalling it - if you don't watch MOV files, you don't typically need QT installed.

What I suspect is happening (this is just a guess) is that some of the statistics tracking packages we use on the site are actually querying your browser to determine if you have support for Java, JavaScript, Flash, QT, etc ... and it's finding a partial installation of QT. When the browser is queried, it finds the incomplete installation and asks you to complete the install by finalising support for it in your browser ... which I think is what is causing the message.

If you do want to have QT support on your computer, I still recommend uninstalling what is there currently and then reinstalling a fresh new version downloaded directly from the Apple website (or if you have the Apple installer on your machine, it will probably prompt you to install it too).

Sorry for not getting back to you Sim'

I have had Quicktime for quite some time. Safari and iTunes have been more recent additions.

I've uninstalled Safari, and reinstalled iTunes and QuickTime.

And rebooted each time.

I still have the same message. On both the old and almost brand new computers.

But it's not a big deal. I can live with it.

Just FYI - I finally got around to tracking down what was causing this - mostly because I recently upgraded IE on my machine and it started asking me if I wanted to install Quicktime when I visited the forums ... which meant I was able to actually do some testing.

It seems that the routine used to check whether people have Quicktime installed for statistics purposes - was causing the browser to think you needed to install Quicktime.

Those stats routines are mostly obsolete these days so I've removed them - this solved the problem on my machine, hopefully it has fixed it for you too if you were still getting this?

Back