Surrounding yourself with like minded people

Hi Sunstone your Re-vamped thread

VG Thread.

I also joined the forum and am presently searching all the nooks and crannies of amazing comments, knowledge and insights. PS It’s like a video game but your learn.

FY interest a number of things caught my eye in this thread:

WHO ARE WE (Forumites) it seems a lot of us who replied are proposing to give benefits of investing to charity. Perhaps like the USA where wealth building is praised, we wealth builders also recognise our role to give back?

I am proud to say my wife this year handed her $1000 bonus to the RSPCA because we can afford to do it. Her action and this thread has made me realise I need to consider "who to give" as part of my future planning and structures.

I would like to see my properties retained for future generations and causes, not wasted by the relations.

WEALTH GUILT IN OZ? It is a real issue and a challenge to overcome. Thank you to all who put in your comments re your future plans.

My experience ....Having recently paid off all debts I decided to finally get my health in order (Atkins diet actually works by the way) and have lost 11kg of fat plus the benefits of stress and all that. BUT....a number of friends and contacts reply to this news with "what is it you do at the moment Peter?” "Well not a lot" I reply and it starts. You are made to feel like some leper because you are not scraping and scrimping to pay the bills. Some people don't even believe me and think I got some master plan happening behind the scenes.

Yes I have quickly leant like others here to adopt the keep a low profile approach and don't comment. As for telling them we gave away $1000! Where would you start!

HAVING THE RIGHT ATTITUDE is by far and wide the greatest advantage you can have to succeed!

To RPI you wrote:

"As a teacher I deal with heaps of kids everyday that have so much opportunity and talent. But mum and dad are on the dole, their grand parents have never worked so to them even the idea of pursuing school to get a good job is worthless, let alone the idea that you can choose to make yourself financially independent."

Thank you for writing this. My sister was recently widowed and your words confirmed my concern that without the right environment her children with suffer "negativity/welfare syndrome". I saw it growing up working class and how I escaped I don't understand. I thought by considering private boarding schools I was being snobby but you nailed it by highlighting it is the "environment/experiences kids have that influence their approach to life".

RPI do you have any books you recommend on overcoming this problem and building goals and financial sense into children? From the posts it would appear at 5 and 8 years old, now is the time to change their thinking and mindset. Thank you for this insight into how I can best help my Sister.

Regards
Peter 147

Hi all you likeminded people jakk is a legend i have renovated two ips last year both +CASHFLOW & rented out need some inspiration to progress on this year settle one more in feb then reno again will look for another how can i talk with some of you people for inspiration

Bonsai,
Just join the chatroom (top right hand corner) and you should find lots of willing talkers! Best time is evening from about 7pm.

ENJOYMENT

I must admit I am and addict of not only OPM but of this forum.

Every lunch I read threads and topics that I just can't discuss with a majority of my friends. They are of the opinion that its too risky and that you will come a cropper for investing so much money into property instead of shares or mutual funds.

It the herd mentality of these people I cant understand. Especially the university educated ones. So naturally I dont mention property to the neighsayers and non converted.

Then, I have other friends. The ones who invest in time and money into understanding property and finiance. These people inspire me. (Peter/Mark/Mel).

I looking forward to my finding, negiotating, purchasing and managing my 4th property.

Respect, Peace, Out.

OPM-addict

Secrecy

Like others have said, the secrecy involved with IP is annoying but necessary:
-if you say "I have IPs so I don't work" that would attract attention
-if you say "I'm interested in IPs" that sounds greedy

The irony is that most of us work hard, read alot, and persevere while living more frugally, compared to the average folk.

lowb said:
The irony is that most of us work hard, read alot, and persevere while living more frugally, compared to the average folk.

Great forum. Great replies and responses and the experiences of posters in this forum have been a fascinating read for me. Lowb is quite right...I believe most us work hard, spend a LOT of time reading books, newspapers, current affairs and forums. I've been addicted to my lappy ever since I've started reading investment forums and realised there are people with similar mentality and attitudes out there. I am yet to plunge into the property market, but I have had my funds invested now for a few years in the sharemarket. It evokes very similar responses from people. If I mention anything about it, then words such as 'money hungry', 'obsessed', 'fanatic' etc starts cropping up, so I just learnt to shut up and not bring up the topic unless I get asked directly.

Also, I will only discuss investment if people express authentic interest and a like-minded attitude. I've noticed that there are a lot of friends/acquaintances who ask me about how I invest but don't really attempt to teach themselves. I refer them to books and websites but then a few weeks later, they ask the same questions again, demonstrating that they didn't even listen to what we spoke about previously. Anyway, this has been great for venting out and just being able to express myself and say that forums would have to be up there among one of the better pro's of the internet (besides google, wikipedia, online banking and direct share trading :p )

Interestingly enough, the negative response received from non-investors to investing also works up a notch - by some investors to those investing in different areas.

Like the 'I can buy single properties, but I could never buy flats, start a business or invest in shares because that would be greedy/beyond me' attitude....

It's always worth considering your own thoughts and actions as well as those of others to see if you're making similar judgements that may be limiting your own investing success.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

(having found myself on both sides at times)

At the moment I think I'm just limited by time. Work can take 70hrs a week from me at times, so I read on the train.

Once the kids have gone to bed I'm ususally stuffed. On the weekends I try to do it real early in the morning before they get up.

I may have to become more of a vampire because I'm not progressing quickly enough in my current field of endeavour.

saucy gibbon said:
At the moment I think I'm just limited by time. Work can take 70hrs a week from me at times, so I read on the train.

It's very hard to give up the job and just concentrate on investing. I'm having the same mental block with it. I know that if I just do investing full-time I'll do so much better in the long run, but to give up that salary....

I'm with you Johnny. I am one of "us".

Had any RISK for breakfast this morning by the way?

Watch out for indigestion later in th eday!:D

I am on a bit of a RISK DIET right now. Just wanting to balance my risk against my SANF.:D

alexlee said:
It's very hard to give up the job and just concentrate on investing. I'm having the same mental block with it. I know that if I just do investing full-time I'll do so much better in the long run, but to give up that salary....

Without my job I do not invest. It is a necessary evil for now.

The problem is when you give up work you get that better home and car and then have to work again to relace the investments spent

GIDDO said:
I'm with you Johnny. I am one of "us".

Had any RISK for breakfast this morning by the way?

Watch out for indigestion later in th eday!:D

I am on a bit of a RISK DIET right now. Just wanting to balance my risk against my SANF.:D

Had a big bowl about 2 weeks ago when I chucked my job in. ;)

RJ

Further, why isn't it possible to do both ? Do they have to be mutually exclusive ?

Having a staedy income as well as investments to me is a far more powerful strategy than investments alone.

When I chuck the job in it will be a lifestyle decision, not an investment decision. It will be the investments that allow me to do it, but it will be the lifestyle benefits that will be the reason why.

saucy gibbon said:
Further, why isn't it possible to do both ? Do they have to be mutually exclusive ?

Because most of us don't like our jobs. At least, not enough to go to it every day if we don't have to. Some of us (not me) are lucky enough to have a job they really enjoy, but the majority of us don't.

I also wonder whether part of it isn't giving us a goal to work towards. After all, saying 'if I keep investing I can chuck this stupid job' is a very immediate and in your face incentive. As you develop your wealth, your 'job' changes anyway. I certainly look forward to switching from what I do now to part time property development, for example.
Alex

Back