Unit vs Townhouse vs House

Hi, Everyone,

I have about 130K cash and I am looking to buy my first interstate IP in Brisbane or Perth. I read the threads in this forum and I found a lot of people buy houses instead of buying unit or town house.

My question is: why do so many people buy houses at a place without a train station? And I wonder, in my situation, which is better to buy among house, town house and unit?

Hi, Everyone,

I have about 130K cash and I am looking to buy my first interstate IP in Brisbane or Perth. I read the threads in this forum and I found a lot of people buy houses instead of buying unit or town house.

My question is: why do so many people buy houses at a place without a train station? And I wonder, in my situation, which is better to buy among house, town house and unit?

Generally people who live in houses have cars so have less need for a trainstation than people who live in units who often dont have car spaces and are in higher density areas (nearer city). This is a generalization. Everyone's different and so are the demographics of every area.

Couldn't answer on your situation, since know nothing about you.

There are millions of reasons why people will buy house not near train station.

What are you looking for? What's the goal and how you want to get there?

Last time I was on a train you had to pay some guy who came up and down the carriages, took your money, cranked a handle on a machine hanging from his neck and produced a ticket...why the fascination with trains?

Re: Unit vs Townhouse vs House

I've owned all 3 and they've made good gains over the long term, I've also seen people make great gains on just one of any of the above.

Each Have their Differences.
We've chosen newer Town houses and Units to reduce maintenance costs and upfront capital.
Also general rent-ability increases as you move towards the city.

My situation is: I bought a 2br unit in Ashfield 3 years ago. Now I did refinance and also got some money from my mum, so I can bug an IP. If buying an interstate property, I just feel daunting about managing the property with an agency. Especially for buying a house, if a pipe is broken or some big issue happened, I don't want to fly to the another city again and again. I wonder if I buy a house and want to redevelop it later, it is too hard if I am in another city.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions!

I got it! Redwing, it is the interview forum. Thanks for providing that! I am reading the threads from the last one (Ian Somers Interview) now.

The following words are quite inspiring:

"In fact, when Jan and I poured over all the figures, we found that the only thing we had been doing right was buying property. But, when it came to things such as financing and managing them, we had been doing a lot of things wrong (short-term P&I loans etc)."

Back