What probability of disaster would you accept in a retirement plan?

What probability of disaster is acceptable in a retirement plan ?

• 0% - a disaster cannot be tolerated

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 1 in 1,000,000 – A minute possibility of disaster is OK, ‘cos everyone else would be in the same boa

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 1 in 1,000 – I can accept a tiny risk of disaster

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 1% chance of disaster

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • less than 5% chance

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • greater than 5% - I’m willing to take the risk if it means I can retire earlier

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
keithj said:
I agree 100%. Retirement for me has 2 phases -

phase 1 - have enough passive income to retire on a low risk, reliable and comfortable base income, retain growth assets to leverage against (inc PPOR) and continue to invest full or part time.

phase 2 - when I don't feel like (or enjoy) investing any more (maybe next month, maybe in 30 yrs) I can stop, and sail around the world, in full knowledge that I have enough assets & income to guarantee a substantial income.

The other point is that NOT having a job makes it a lot easier to invest full time. For me phase 1 retirement has always been a top priority - time is the most valuable thing we have.

Hiya Keithj,

1. Agreed... But hopefully, when you finally "retired", all your loved ones and you still have the vitality and are still around, to enjoy all what you all have always wanted to do in your lives, as God be willing.

2. Thus, I have taken a different approach and decide to retire from my employment NOW to become a full-time investor instead so that I can have all the time and energy I want to to enjoy life with all my family members and loved ones while they are still young and healthy and still alive NOW!... What's the point if I should have all the monies in the future but the people whom I loved most or/and myself, are no longer alive or still alive but not healthy enough to fully enjoy the fruits of my labours with me or/and to do all things that we have wanted to do all our lives, if God be willing?

3. My 2 cents thoughts,please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back