Advice on Moving House, Your Experiences, Recommendations??

Dear All

Well Mrs 147 and I are doing the “Tree Change” thing middle of 2006. Will post more on the deal as it is locked down.

But….

It means we are selling our beloved 10 year PPOR in Surry Hills Sydney to move to Country Victoria.

Which means we have move HOUSE!! :eek:

Now our home is small by most standard being an inner city terrace so we don’t have a lot of furniture but we want to send 50% down to my sisters place in Feb/March and the rest in July when we move house.

Interested in your moving experiences, especially interstate.

Can you recommend someone?

Is buying a Shipping Container a Good Idea for storage and security?

If so what do they cost to buy and to move?

What insurance do you need and who should you recommend or

Should we pack it ourselves and hire a large truck to do the deed ourselves???

Not looking so much to save money but pain and stress.

All posts welcome and responded to.

Regards, Peter 147 :)

PS Anyone interested in buying an Immaculate 2 bed Torrens Title Terrace in Inner City Sydney please PM me.

Willing to consider a deal with delayed settlement at agents estimate less costs so you get some equity. Talking around $500k mark. Would rent for $400 week so NG.

Hi Peter,

Congratulations on the big move.
We moved to the north coast NSW just after easter last year. We had problems with settlement of the house and I rang our solicitor from Newcastle on the drive up. Luckily everything was through by then as we were on our way. We hired a 8 tonne truck and a relative with a truck licence drove it. With truck hire and wages it cost us $2000, much cheaper than any quotes I had. There is a truck hire company in Blacktown where you can get the bigger sized ones.

Prior to the move we had some items in storage which cost about $30/month, for about 6 months.

We looked into buying a container and shipping it, but this worked out much more expensive. There are sites on the internet that do this.

We bought a house on 1 1/2 acres and love it. We have a vegie garden and some fruit trees and want to plant many more. We are in the middle of building the chook shed. We wanted more land but cost was against us. The community we have moved into has been very welcoming and we are making friends. We haven't been back to Sydney and don't miss it.

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you will be glad you did it.

Jared :D

I've moved house 3 times in the last 12 months, so here's my two biggest and best tips

1) Try to box everything.....toiletries, clothes, kitchenware, books, linen, etc....of course, some things just won't fit in most boxes such as some white goods or hardware tools....still, boxing stuff up makes moving so much easier....oh yeh, get some masking tape to secure the boxes - 2 rolls should do and a big Nikko pen to write on the outside of the boxes indicating whats inside - this way when you need something quick you wont rip open every box trying to find it

2) Hire someone to move it for you.....my last move, I decided to save some money and took the he-man approach and moved everything myself....never again!.......it took my two days to do it, 4 truck loads of my dad's ute and then there was the whole effort of loading it onto the ute, unloading it and then carrying it up two flights of stairs....it was a nightmare....to cut a long story shot - it took me 2 days to recover...

That's about it...

George

Hi Peter

Lucky you- moving the wide open spaces in beautiful Victoria :)
You will really enjoy it, I'm sure.

I can genuinely recommend the removalists "Baulkham Hills Removals and Storage" if you want someone good, Peter. Having done several house moves over the yrs, being with Defence, we had them for our last removal and were ecstatic with their service.
The MD, Paul Leabeater, is also a very organised and professional fellow and he has been operating for many years now. Details below:

BAULKHAM HILLS REMOVALS AND STORAGE

Address: 15AStanton Road
City: SEVEN HILLS
State: NSW

Contact Name: Mr Paul Leabeater
Title: Managing Director

Phone Number: (02 ) 9624 7766
Fax Number: (02 ) 9838 7075
Email Address: [email protected]

As for moving tips, I'm in full agreeance with grubar in that, the more you pack yourself, the more you save. Just make sure you order a variety of boxes (removalists sell them to you and then you get a credit back for part of the cost when you return them) including general size, book boxes and portarobes (very useful so you don't have to fold everything).
Get heaps of white butchers paper and wrap everything up (avoid newspaper unless you want black ink over everything!) and be generous with it as well. You'd be surprised how easily things break when you pack them yourself :)

As far as insurance goes, ensure that you have the items insured from the moment they leave your house to the moment they arrive. Some companies have strange clauses that provide no coverage from accidents en route :eek:

Hey, as far as your property goes, have you considered selling it yourself? I just finished reading Terry Ryder's latest book on this very subject and, if you have the time, I believe it's worthwhile. All you've got to lose is the fact that you can't, and then you can try through an agent (with different pics etc). Just a thought anyway.....

Good luck with it all and hope the move goes well for you.

PS: Remember to drain off the water out of dishwashers and washing machines BEFORE you pack them onto the truck.....

Oh and something else....
If disassembling furniture, put all the alan keys, bolts and screws in a strong plastic bag, label as to where it belongs and box them in something that you're likely to remember and that has easy access when you unpack at the other end. Have learnt this from bitter experience :(

Thanks Guys.

The pack everything approach makes sense.

Will check out some of the leads and post the outcomes.

Anyone know about back loads to Melbourne From Sydney deals?

Peter 147

I once moved with Whitfield's Removals.

They did a great job.

Their relationship to my own surname is a complete coincidence.

I don't even know if they still do business.

But the bit I really liked, was their use of the "Venus de Milo", with the slogan

"If Whitfield's had moved her, she'd still have had them".

There must be something in the genes.

Hi Guys

Sent Email to BHRS but could not find Whitfield's on the net. Any leads Geoff?

SO far....

I am looking at sending packages as backloads ahead of time. Mostly office files, etc. as these will go into Sisters garage. W ehave to rent anyhow as the new place willnot be built. :(

The rate one place states on the net is $350 a load ( yet to find that what that gets) . The disadvantage is delivery may be up to 7 days from pickup so that's not a problem.

We are also listing some items on EBay and culling old files.

Thanks for your advice,
keep it coming ...
Peter 147 :)

PS One file I noticed had a BRW with the Cover Page stating "Property, some rises to come but the boom is over!" It was dated 2001. :eek:

Hiya

I can second Baulkam Hills removals. They did a subbie job for us a few moons ago and all went very well.

My suggestions are

1. pack you very previous stuff yourself and transport in car
2. If moving a long way............ and you are, then use the removalists packing service , they generally know better to do than what we do.

We have moved 380 cubic metres over the last 10 years, sometimes 3 kilometres, sometimes a diff island :)

ta
rolf

geoffw said:
If it's previous stuff, you don't need it any more.

If, however, it's precious...

Ha Ha, say that as well.

The most precious other than sentimental is the LCD tv so I will take that in my car on your advice.

Of and the baby.

For something funny, which my wife still bags me about, when I moved From Coffs to Sydney I was really busy and my wife was missing me having moved earlier.

So I actually gave the truckie the boxes and then handed him, no cage, our Maltease Dog to suprise our wife.

The Truckie baulked but took her and he told wife the dog dined on Maccas in the middle on the night as he drove overnight to Sydney.

Safe and sound. Now thats service.

Peter 147

For storage, I have recently used Storage Plus in Rosebery (Sydney).
They are the cheapest by far (and I did quite a bit of shopping around) plus v good customer service.

(Please note I have no vested interest in this company, just a happy customer.)

Xena

xena said:
For storage, I have recently used Storage Plus in Rosebery (Sydney).
They are the cheapest by far (and I did quite a bit of shopping around) plus v good customer service.

(Please note I have no vested interest in this company, just a happy customer.)

Xena

Thanks Xena

FYI we are about to confirm details with one of the movers and move in two goes via back loading.

Significant savings found here and for those interested:

I have found moving mid week and especially monday morning is around 50% cheaper than weekend. I assume it because the truck in Melb loaded on Sat, delivered on Sund and is looking to get home ASAP.

All are happy to auote via email and have auto click the boxes to get the CUM calculaters.

Will post more once I finalise it all, Peter 147

grubar30 said:
I've moved house 3 times in the last 12 months, so here's my two biggest and best tips

1) Try to box everything.....toiletries, clothes, kitchenware, books, linen, etc....of course, some things just won't fit in most boxes such as some white goods or hardware tools....still, boxing stuff up makes moving so much easier....oh yeh, get some masking tape to secure the boxes - 2 rolls should do and a big Nikko pen to write on the outside of the boxes indicating whats inside - this way when you need something quick you wont rip open every box trying to find it

2) Hire someone to move it for you.....my last move, I decided to save some money and took the he-man approach and moved everything myself....never again!.......it took my two days to do it, 4 truck loads of my dad's ute and then there was the whole effort of loading it onto the ute, unloading it and then carrying it up two flights of stairs....it was a nightmare....to cut a long story shot - it took me 2 days to recover...

That's about it...

George

Agree with George here.

I have moved house (usually around from town to town, once o/s) at leat 10 times, with wife and 2 kids.

Like most professionals, removalists make it look easy, but its not.

One other clue. Have a very good sense or where furniture is going in the new house. Measure up the new house rooms and then measure your furniture. It is easier to get it in the right spot the first time, and the removalists don't like someone saying " can I just try it over there?"

With the boxes, record what is in them. Mark each box as to which room it is going into to make it easy for the romovalists. . Don't make them too heavy eg filling them up with books is not a great idea unless you have a fork lift. At the new place, even put a name plaque on each room eg main bedroom, bedroom 2 etc. That way you don't even have to be there when the removalists unpack.
Keep a electric kettle etc out so you can make everyone a cuppa.

GarryK

Hi All

Well the first load to clear the house for marketing has just gone! Yeah!!! Thanks to all for posting as this has been a lot less stressful than I thought it would be..

FYI What we did was this.

We got a three quotes via the net which use a click the box to get the cum system. Roughly, our lad cam to 7.5cum mostly boxes.

Direct load door-to-door quotes were as high as $2100 down to $1600. However as we did not need door to door but door to storage in sister’s garage so back loading at a day to suit them was cheapest.

No trusting the on site CUM calc. We prepared an excel spreadsheet and measured all the items and noted them and sent to the three we picked to quote. We relied on them to allow packing space. Again around 7.5cum

We advised we would pack ourselves and happy to backload. Backload means they pick it up and send when they next have full load going to Melbourne. Usually a week’s delay.

Quotes were:

$440 mover 1
$680 mover 2
$715 mover 3

We called the $440 to confirm.

Turns out, they had not opened the sheet spreadsheet and only read the columns that fitted A4 and thought we only have six boxes when in fact we had 20.

They requoted on the spot and rose to $660.

Still the cheapest but they did provide any insurance being “all care but no responsibility” so essentially no cover at all.

Damage Insurance was $22 for every $2000 of goods and lots of exclusion that really don't make it worth it such electronic gear is essentially not covered. Antique they will only repair. How do you repair a gouge in a 100year old table???

It would cost another $12 to include truck crash/rollover cover for the lot. The chance is minor but essential I felt as should a truck crash it usually very serious.

The highest quote was Baulkham Hills Removals (recommended by Jacque) which I had called a few times as they use the Safe and Clever System.

This system means our stuff gets packed individually in a timber crate. No other stuff goes in it. It minimises damages from handling, movement, water entering, dropping, as it is loaded from the small truck to the large truck via forklift.

Loaded into semi and off to Melbourne via semi with others. Taken off there and stored in the crate until delivered to sister.

Others use the traditional system of fill the truck. Not as good by far you would agree, especially backloading as the items could be taken off and on a number of times, equals greater risk.

Baulkham Hills Removals quote whilst highest included a responsibility and truck accident insurance. On arrival we check and should a box be dropped, furniture gouged, we are covered for our estimate of market value less depreciation (not fair I agree) but better than nothing. They also cover an accident that is essential as in that case you lose the lot.

Comprehensive cover was not worth it with too many outs especially if you self pack as we did.

Called then yesterday to ok and they arrived today on time and loaded in 1 hr. Quoted included plastic wrapping furniture, felt wrapping bikes, which the others did not include.
We packed all the boxes and cardboard wrapped workstation tops etc...

So thanks to all for the advice and Jacque for the recommendation.;)

So far, they have been great and very stress free.

We can now prepare the home for sale. :D

Regards, Peter 147

Glad to hear that it all went well, Peter. I only personally recommend companies I've had experience with or know someone close who has.

Good luck now selling! Hope you get a fantastic price:)

Back