1.3 million taxpayers with rental properties

Love this one, looks like our accountants are doing their job;)

"At the same time, 1.3 million taxpayers declared income from rental properties of $12.6 billion, yet claimed expenses on those properties of $13.3 billion."

That works out at an average income of $9692.31 per person and average expenses of $10230.77. I thought it would be a lot more than that.

Cheers:confused:

G'day all,

1.3 million out of a population of 20 million - guess what ??6.5% !! Sound familiar, Jan???

Re other figures - average $185wk income - sounds about right to me ;) And $195 wk expenses? Certainly not outrageous when usual mortgages and depreciation are considered ...... Especially for newer investors

And a fair proportion of this is non-cash deduction anyway,

Regards,

But I think there is less than 20 millions people are in the workforce.
So that percentage could be higher..

Les, dont hold me for this... It's my first post here :)

So, what, if you don't work you can't invest in property?

20 million potential investors is too high because that includes children who are unlikely to be investing in property. There are around 4.7 million children under the age of 18. Nett=15.3 million.

Married or de-facto couples are also less likely to invest independently in my view. 8.3 million people are married (1998 data) so collectively that might lose another 50% (4.15 million). Nett=11.15 million. (Or put another way, couples investing may possibly be investing through a trust as a singular entity).

So, roughly speaking we are talking about 10% of the likely candidates for having a rental property actually do have one.

Note that most of these peepul have only 1 investment property....the number of investors with 2-4 and 5+ properties is MUCH smaller.

G'day Tai,

But I think there is less than 20 millions people are in the workforce.
So that percentage could be higher..

Yes, good call. The actual figure quoted by Jan (referencing ABS stats) is "6% of adult Australians" - so the actual number of investors currently is probably closer to 8 or 9% at the moment.

/me nurses foot with self-inflicted bullet hole ... :eek:

Regards,

Back