1.4mil in equity-what shall I buy?

tgan

With this much equity available at residential interest rates, I would be looking at large commercial and industrial properties (CIPs). Assuming:

- Your residential equity comes at a cost of 6%
- The LVR on a CIP is conservatively 65% (higher is achievable for the right properties)
- The debt for the CIP comes at a cost of 7.5%

Then your weighted average cost of capital is ((6x35)+(7.5x65))/100 = approx 7%

There are plenty of quality CIPs which yield circa 9% net around the country at the moment (more if you like some risk with that...). This means tenants pay for all outgoings like rates, insurance, land tax, property management, maintenance, etc etc etc

Assuming you fully leverage your $1.4m equity @35%LVR and make some allowance for costs you should be able to access a CIP (or three) to the value of approx $3.5m.

Assuming 9% net returns and the 7% (above) overall cost of debt you get (9-7)%x$3.5m = $70,000 per annum in free cashflow on an exposure of $3.5m. Use any depreciation etc to improve the after tax cashflow as applicable.

Use this to pay down debt and build equity (as you are obviously used to doing already to be in this position in the first place) and then you can rinse and repeat. No dealing with heaps of tenants and their personal issues, no having to go through all the palaver of finding and transacting ten or more RIPs and manage all the records at tax time - etc etc etc. All for the "risk" of being in this part of the market which is just swimming with sharks apparently (FWIW I find it far more professional and clear cut than the resi market - with CIPs it's just about the numbers which keeps it nice and simple).

You'll need to learn a fair bit about leases etc to do your due diligence but it's an interesting process (to me at least) and there are plenty of resources to guide you, including plenty of posts on this forum.

Good luck with taking your next step on this investing journey...

tgan

With this much equity available at residential interest rates, I would be looking at large commercial and industrial properties (CIPs). Assuming:

- Your residential equity comes at a cost of 6%
- The LVR on a CIP is conservatively 65% (higher is achievable for the right properties)
- The debt for the CIP comes at a cost of 7.5%

Then your weighted average cost of capital is ((6x35)+(7.5x65))/100 = approx 7%

Great post.

Its better than that though - after the rate reduction you can pretty easily get c. 5.6% resi rates, and low to mid 6's on a 65% LVR commercial rates fixed for 1 - 4 years with Adelaide Bank (noting floating is much higher as you say). So c. 6.2% WACC.

Obviously only in the here in and now, and may go up in the medium term future etc...

There are many pages of posts about NRAS from euro and others, it might be easier to read new threads by linking to the pre-existing posts and avoid going through all the pro-NRAS / anti-NRAS arguments and calculations again. Just a suggestion. I like to read strategy threads as that's my area of interest at this time and enjoy seeing what experienced investors have to contribute. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on NRAS, euro, unfortunately on other threads it seems to have often lead to a lengthy disagreement that is distracting.

Unfortunately I cant control other peoples posts, Monty. All I can say is that I've been 1. willing and 2. able, to present numbers that are mathematically sound in every post I have ever made regarding NRAS. None of the people who have become argumentative have been able to do the same. No one has ever been able to demonstrate that the numbers are incorrect (spelling errors or freudian slips on my part, aside)

You just cant please everyone Im afraid, and Ive often posted that those who made money from property during the easiest period in history to make money, off the back of the greatest and loosest free for all expansion to credit in history, will never be swayed from their views that property can only make you money by being run at a loss and purchased for growth. Hard to change tact when something has worked so well for you in the past.

I would bet you every property I own that if they started from scratch today they could not emulate their success from the past 10-15 years, across the next 10-15 years.

There's simply no other asset where people buy to make a loss,year on year - and hope to make money. Only property. You wouldn't invest in shares or bank accounts that cost you money. And if you did, you would offset those losses with defensive, blue chip, high dividend equities to provide your portfolio with some balance. Yet when property is involved, that same approach seems to be outlandish to some.. why on earth would I want cash flow and balance and low risk, they protest... Its all about growth growth growth. Im sorry- that easy era is over now.

Anyway as I said, cant please everyone and cant control others... but thats the beauty of living in a free country- dont read the posts if you dont want to read them ;) Or read them, contribute to the conversation... choice is yours

Back