100% chance of .5% decrease in rates in March

interesting unfolding of events.

i will be watching the open in half an hour - VIX and SP500/Russell futures will be the ones to watch.

i have a funky feeling the rba may be in denial this month.

They were in denial last year too, which didn't work out so well for them. Don't think they'd risk being in denial again. :cool:

Glenn Stevens has a knack for getting things wrong. As soon as I heard him utter the "rates won't go to zero" remark and I knew he would live to regret it -- and the rest of us will live to enjoy him being wrong again.

Got a friend like this. Often ask him what he thinks and then do the opposite. He has a knack for getting most things wrong but a good friend.

0.25% Guess I woulda lost my dough

Oooops misheard new from other room. Zero, Zilch, Zip. No movement.

Ummm I thought the time machine was to be shared amongst Steve's. I have now finished with it as I now appear to be a Guru for my call of no movement. I shall rest on my laurels now and have retired from predictions.

Just a pity that it's wasn't worth anyone reading my post due to a lack of Kudos :)

Last edited:
Yes, but not because they're worried about inflation:

Nonetheless, economic conditions are clearly weak, and given the speed and scale of the global economic deterioration and its effect on confidence, weak conditions are likely to continue in the near term. Inflation is likely to decline over time.

Sir, did you see "over time". At present, it is clear the inflation is up. RBA machine acts on flation. I have long argued their stupidity. However, it works if you predict the rates up or down.

I'm saying they didn't leave rates on hold this time because they are worried about inflation. They have already made 400 points in cuts and are waiting for that to sink in a bit more, plus they don't feel Aust. has been hit as hard by the crisis as shown by retail figures etc, and they are probably also trying to leave themselves a bit of room to move if things do get materially worse in the coming months. Even if inflation was up at the moment, that wouldn't have stopped them from dropping rates again if they felt they needed to - and that's my point.

In Australia, demand has not weakened as much as in other countries and, on the basis of currently available information, the Australian economy has not experienced the sort of large contraction seen elsewhere. The Australian financial system remains strong and the monetary policy transmission process is working to deliver large reductions in interest rates to end borrowers. Nonetheless, economic conditions are clearly weak, and given the speed and scale of the global economic deterioration and its effect on confidence, weak conditions are likely to continue in the near term. Inflation is likely to decline over time.

Now if on the other hand the stats they had at hand showed the 2 statements in bold above were turned around ie. Aust. has weakened much more than other countries, and the Aust. economy was contracting at a much faster rate than elsewhere. Then whether inflation had inched up or not, they still would have cut rates further. So yes, they did leave rates on hold, but I don't believe (yet) that it's because they're too concerned about inflation right now.

I guess we chalk up another failed prediction by many senior economists. Makes you wonder if they have hidden agendas behind their predictions.
Not much hope for the average "Joe" in knowing what's going to happen with rates if these guys on big bikies can't get it right.;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Huh?

I would have thought a higher Aus cash rate would protect our dollar?

Cheers,
Michael
Correct michael

And it did. The A$ is up 2.5%. Not good for us gold bugs or the Aussie exporters but an indication that we are not as bad as others and that's OK. :D

Four years ago I said we'd reach parity with the US$ and we nearly did, but I consider that an anomaly. Australia and Canada will prove to be the world's best economies. (Provided our respective governments don't stuff it up and both are capable of doing that.)

Maybe we can let you win that one by default Sunfish :) When I was in Vietnam in June, I purchased some clothing in Aus dollars. They wanted $25 dollars Australian or $26 American dollars! You must've been pretty close!

And it did. The A$ is up 2.5%. Not good for us gold bugs or the Aussie exporters but an indication that we are not as bad as others and that's OK. :D

Four years ago I said we'd reach parity with the US$ and we nearly did, but I consider that an anomaly. Australia and Canada will prove to be the world's best economies. (Provided our respective governments don't stuff it up and both are capable of doing that.)

Sunfish not sure if you follow Gartman but he is pretty much saying what you say, one part of his current strategy that he is telling his sophisticated investors is to go two units long on younge countries (ie Australia and Canada) and hedge the risk by being two units short on old commodity importing countries (but this is only part of the strategy so there are risks in only adopting a part of a total hedging strategy).

Back