2 in the Adelaide Nth ($ flow) or 1 (Capital growth) in metro area?

Hi everyone

Looking at buying another IP and crunch the numbers, my budget is $370k (includes stamp duty so really $354k). My strategy is to hold a mix of cash-flow and capital growth property.

Currently pay FN $3100 combined (me $1800, wife working 4 days $1300) – the loan for the unit I purchased 2 years ago in the northern area is $214k, currently rental $230 per week to long term tenant.

The total loan will then be $584,000.

Not many options within my range (Windsor gardens, Gilles Plains, Ingle Farm etc) for house with a decent big block > 700m2 so I thought maybe I should look at Elizabeth area and pick 1 standalone house (<$270k (inc stamp duty etc) or 2 semis (hopefully next to each other) for (~$350K inc stamp duty etc).

With a 13 month old toddler and planning to have another one at end of 2012, beginning 2013, I was thinking maybe sell the unit and then buy the house (or semis) - bring loan down to managable position in order not to overstretch as we will be back to one income.

Perhaps I should just wait...

Cheers
Clem

Is the unit you own valued at 214, or was that purchase price? Has it gained value in the 2 years if listed price was for purchase?

If anything, out of those suburbs, id look at Windsor Gardens. It is cleaning up better than the others, and is that bit closer to the obahn, city etc.

The yield on the other could be better, but if its a long-term tenant, i guess it pretty much low risk, which would be a reason to keep it.

If you were going to sell, leaving you roughly $600k, i think Hectorville would be a good buy. Big blocks, in Norwood Morialta School Zone, and <5 mins to blue chippers like Kensington, Burnside, Leabrook. There is also a tonne of new work going on there on Glynburn Rd which would only be of benefit.

Still eastern suburbs, 8km to city, and more affordable than a Tranmere, which is on the other side of the rd.

Back