2007 Top 10 Shares

Saw this in the paper

We have FMG, which was up about 34% last week, but sold out MGX sometime ago and hadn't even looked at any of the others (nice to think what some $'s invested at these growth rates would do):D

2007's Top 10 Shares

• Fortescue 538%
  • Midwest 440%
  • Sundance 383%
  • Ausenco 332%
  • Dominion 250%
  • Aquita 234%
  • Incitec 231%
  • Mt Gibson 224%
  • Sylvania 218%

I'm assuming these are stock price INCREASES?

That's more than mind-boggling.

I'm not into shares (yet) but with gains like that, I'd be nervous.

I think I'm a bit like YM on this score; can't be sustained, surely?

What about dividends?

Andrew Forrest (CEO Fortescue) is apparently now Australia's wealthiest man according to the West Australian. Heard last night that they hadn't even shipped their first shipment of iro to China. Due in May 08!

can't be sustained, surely?
Why not? Not the % increase, of course. Each years winners are different to the one before but it is no more logical to assume they will fall, just because they went up, than it is for property.

What about dividends?
Fortescue is still a few months from production so none there.
Dominion has a PE of 8 so the divs should increase soon.
Mt Gibson has a high PE but is in iron ore. The hot sector!
Sundance is a bit of a speccie and has already dropped nearly 50% in the last three months to 42c. But it was 7c in March. That's 600% isn't it?
Incitec started the year @ $32 and finished @ $120 but is still paying 2% dividend (that's the final half) with a PE of 19, which is OK for a growth stock. And TC says fertiliser is a hot commodity.
Ausenco I don't even know what they do but the PE is high @ 32 and 1% divs for the most recent half.
Sylvania has flat lined for six mths and is another speccie.
Midwest another speccie I know nothing about.
Aquila ditto

I did this quick research for my own benefit so thought I'd post it. I draw no conclusions except that Incitec still looks good @ $120 and I'll keep an eye on it and dig a little deeper.

Anothing interesting and pertinent article

Best of 2007

Best investments of 2007
By Anthony Keane December 31, 2007 12:00am

CHINA has been the dominant force in shaping investment returns in 2007.

Not even global financial turmoil sparked by the credit crisis in the US could dent the surging Chinese share market or negate the effect China's booming economy had on Australian share prices.

Our biggest company, BHP Billiton, has grown 60.1 per cent in the year to December 30, while other companies exposed to China have fared even better.

For example, Andrew Forrest's Fortescue Metals Group has increased 538 per cent, including a 17.6 per cent gain on Friday that is believed to have propelled Mr Forrest past James Packer to become Australia's richest man.

All this from a company that has not yet exported any iron ore or made a profit.

"It's one of the most outstanding stocks of 2007,'' said Baker Young Stockbrokers managed portfolio analyst Toby Grimm.

Fortescue was not alone, with many other mining stocks enjoying share price gains of 100, 200 and 300 per cent.

Australia's total share market return to December 30 has been 16 per cent, said AMP Capital Investors. This is its fifth year of double-digit growth, ranking it ahead of many overseas markets.

However, China took the title of the world's best share market for the year, climbing 96.7 per cent as the country's economic growth continues to exceed 10 per cent annually.

AMP Capital Investors chief economist Shane Oliver said Asian share markets overall improved 36 per cent.

But international shares as a whole have again performed poorly, largely because of the strong Aussie dollar.

International shares dropped 2 per cent in Australian dollar terms. When hedged against Aussie dollar movements, the return was a positive 7 per cent.

"The Australian dollar rose 10 per cent against the US dollar and a bit less against other currencies,'' Dr Oliver said.

Other negative returns came from Australian-listed property trusts, down 7 per cent, and global listed property, down 20 per cent, after being a market star the previous two years.

"Problems in the US bank system have flowed on to trusts in the US,'' Dr Oliver said.

The sub-prime mortgage problems and global credit crunch were likely to affect investment returns in the first six months of 2008, he said, "but through it all the China story will remain alive and well''.

Baker Young's Mr Grimm said that despite the Chinese Government's efforts to slow its economy - the latest last week - the growth story was unlikely to stop.

"When a train is that big and heavy and moving that fast, it doesn't stop on a dime,'' he said.

However, the strong growth from China - and India - might slow a little.

"Perhaps darkness at the end of the tunnel is starting to appear,'' Mr Grimm said.

"But I would be tipping the Chinese share market to perform quite well for 2008. The Beijing Olympics in August should produce a degree of economic activity.''

Another improving investment performer in 2007 has been cash, with a return of 6.5 per cent.

Mr Grimm said term deposits and cash management trusts now were offering attractive no-risk returns that compared favourably with the volatile share and property markets.

"The way economic factors are piling up in Australia, I think the interest rate bias is upwards, not downwards,'' he said.

Bourke Shaw Financial Services principal Lawrence Orlando said while 2007 had been a case of the good Aussie shares, the bad global shares and the ugly property trusts, it was important for investors to look beyond one-year movements.

"Any financial strategy should be based on a long-term investment horizon to allow for corrections and fluctuations in market conditions,'' he said.

"For this reason investors should put their emotions aside.''

Global share market movements from January 1 to December 30

* Shanghai up 96.7%
* Hong Kong up 37.1%
* Germany up 22.3%
* Singapore up 15.4%
* Australia up 13.8%
* U.S. up 7.2%
* Switzerland up 7.2%
* Italy up 4.2%
* Britain up 4.1%
* France up 1.5%
* Japan down 9.7%

ASSET CLASSES
* Commercial property up 17%
* Australian shares up 16%
* Adelaide houses up 11.5%
* Global shares (hedged) up 7%
* Cash up 6.5%
* Global bonds up 6%
* Australian bonds up 4%
* Global shares down 2%
* Listed property trusts down 7%
* Global property down 20%
Source: AMP Capital Investors, SA Govt

AUSSIE SHARES
The best:
* Fortescue Metals Group up 538%
* Midwest Corporation up 440%
* Sundance Resources up 383%
* Riversdale Mining up 383%
* Ausenco up 332%
* Dominion Mining up 250%
* Aquila Resources up 234%
* Incitec Pivot up 233%
The worst:
* Metabolic down 95%
* Centro Properties down 88.6%
* Commander Comms down 87.6%
* Natural Fuel down 87%
* Senetas Corp down 80.3%
* Life Therapeutics down 79.1%
* St Synergy down 76.3%
* ERG down 71.8%

MANAGED FUNDS
The best:
* Challenger Wholesale China Share Fund up 75.5 per cent.
* Challenger China Share Fund
up 73.7%.
* Fidelity China Fund up 73.2%.
* Stockland Direct Office Trust Number One up 71.1%.
* SBT Classic Investment - Natural Resources Fund up 54.6%.
The worst:
* Vanguard Wholesale International Property Securities down 21%.
* Perennial Japanese Equities Trust down 20.1%.
* Perennial Japanese Shares Wholesale Trust down 20.1%.
* Skandia OIS Fidelity Japan Fund down 16.4%.
* Skandia OPS Fidelity Japan Option down 16.3%.

Source: Morningstar. Figures for year to November 30.

And the 2008 picks are....
Gold and silver miners. (A Canadian gold miner I have a stake in is up >3% tonight, but their Loony is down.) They will defy the bear which will maul the US retail and financial stocks. That malaise will dampen markets everywhere and even conventional miners such as BHP & RIO will struggle.

Be aware: My crystal ball was made in China LOL but that's how I plan to trade for the year. Do your own research.

Gold and silver miners. (A Canadian gold miner I have a stake in is up >3% tonight, but their Loony is down.) They will defy the bear which will maul the US retail and financial stocks. That malaise will dampen markets everywhere and even conventional miners such as BHP & RIO will struggle.

Be aware: My crystal ball was made in China LOL but that's how I plan to trade for the year. Do your own research.

Thommo,

are you familiar with CXC, not much of a chart to go off ATM but one that I will be watching with interest.

Cheers

Jared

are you familiar with CXC, not much of a chart to go off ATM but one that I will be watching with interest.

Started buying BSG in '02. Converted 100k options @ 20c a few years back and recommended it here a few years ago. I've possibly made a qtr mil on the stock over time but it has never been easy to hold. Seems to have lurched from crisis to crisis and I've sold down regularly.

Still, what I held converted to 40k CXC but it was a rough ride during the six months to complete the take-over.

If you're interested, keep an eye on the Kensington mine which they've spent a couple of billion on but they are still not permitted to mine, and in Bolivia where there is sovereign risk. These mines have been discounted heavily in CDE's (CXC's parent) share price. If they start mining profitably, coupled with the Mexican silver mines that came with BSG they will be a big-time silver miner. If silver goes over US$20/oz, as I expect, then it could double and redouble.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation to buy this stock or silver. It is my limited observation only and in response to a specific question.

Cheers Thommo.......... as I said I will be watching this one with interest........... not too confident in MMN at present.........the only other silver miner ( are they actually mining yet ) that I know of.

Bracing myself for plenty of red on Monday.

My pick for 2003 is BMN........a long shot but one I have been in for a while now.

jared

Insert disclaimer here.

Actually, the list is wrong - FDL was the top performer, going from 1.6 cents to 12.5 cents in 12 months - 781%. I had an entry at 1 cent!

I have an ominous feeling that Fortescue is another Enron. Don't have anything at all to support this but just a gut feeling. I hope I'm wrong. I have not investigated this company, know nothing about it apart from the fact it has some contracts and when I heard it had no product and only contracts to supply I thought hmmm this sounds like Enron. Guess we wait till May.

Out of FMG at a nice profit when a pre-set trigger was hit, will buy back in though if the stars all align, there's a lot of interest in this stock and if they achieve their FOOT and FOOS will be interesting to see how they go

FMG will not hit their deadlines.

GDA is the new FMG

Dont tell Twiggy;)

Big Call though, as they are going Full Steam ahead, biggest block I can see is the wets a'comin

I'm sure they have contingencies in place and would be interested to know what their future plans are (can't see them resting on their laurels). Be interesting to see if they come across any of the yellow stuff as well.

Came across this for GDA; dont know much about them...

http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651

Last edited:
An update from the paper on the rollercoaster ride that is the sharemarket ;)

0,,7203564,00.gif

Clicky Link

INVESTORS with shares in financial sector companies have been among the biggest winners from the share market's rebound since March.

While the overall market is up 52 per cent from its March 10 low, many big companies have climbed much higher - almost 700 per cent for companies such as Pacific Brands and Alesco Corp.

An analysis of the top 50 stocks where most people hold their share portfolios and superannuation savings puts Macquarie Group in the lead, up 180 per cent based on Friday's share price.

Three other financial stocks AXA Asia Pacific, Commonwealth Bank and Suncorp-Metway are in the top eight.

Australian Stock Report head of research Steven Dooley says many of these stocks rebounded strongly because they fell so hard.

Back