2011 - a great year for Australian sport

Yeah, I know it's a bit premature but it has occured to me that 2011 could well be one of the greatest (non-olympic) sporting years we've ever had on the world stage.

We've got the Tour de France in the bag (thanks Cadel Evans) (that alone would make it a great year)

And we have the US Open (thanks Sam Stosur).

Casey Stoner has a very handy lead in MotoGP (formerly the World 500cc Championship - think Wayne Gardner / Mick Doohan) and with only 4 races left, he is at unbackable odds to win according to Centrebet (He's paying "20 to 1 on" in old terms, or $1.00 down to get $1.05 back). There is the very real chance that Casey will seal the title at the Australian GP in about 2 weeks time.

And Owen Wright is keeping (the greatest surfer ever) Kelly Slater on his toes in the ASP World Championship.

Mark Webber has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the F1 title, but he still may finish 2nd - which would still be our best finish in 30 years.

Jason Day finished 2nd at both the Masters and the Open Championship.

Adam Scott finished in that tie for 2nd at the Masters and won the WGC Bridgestone Invitational (one of the richest and most prestigious non-major golf tournaments)

Unusually for us, we didn't win the ASP Women's Title, but we did finish 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (thanks Sally Fitzgibbons, Stephanie Gilmour, and Tyler Wright)

Ok, so the world economy is in the crapper, and our politicians are a bunch of gits, but at least we have our sport to fall back on.

And who knows, maybe we'll even pull off a (major) upset in the RWC??

Yeah, and what about an aussie team either winning or coming second in the NRL grand final? Thats gotta be up there eh? Go the sea eagles. :D

See ya's.

And those wallabies? They should get second in their pool at least. Crikey! those Irish were tough, can't blame em for losing that one eh? That's a good effort? Quarter finals and all? Might go further yet? :)

See ya's.

Most sports (like tennis) are so individual I don't see how they are representing anyone (let alone an entire nation) but themselves...

I'm not a huge sport fan but when you spell the achievements of 2011 out like that it does look impressive.

Unfortunately, I don't know who a few of the names mentioned are - and there are other great Australian sports men and women who made your list but who don't get much 'coverage' via the media. Sadly, I believe, because they are not deemed 'marketable' enough, ie. good enough in the 'looks' department :(.

Most sports (like tennis) are so individual I don't see how they are representing anyone (let alone an entire nation) but themselves...

To a degree I agree... they are in it solely for themselves, but the way to look at it is the fact that in most instances the Australian sporting set-up has developed these talents, which isn't bad for a relatively small and under-resourced conuty, and potentially augurs well for the future.

Yeah, I know it's a bit premature but it has occured to me that 2011 could well be one of the greatest (non-olympic) sporting years we've ever had on the world stage.

Ok, so the world economy is in the crapper, and our politicians are a bunch of gits, but at least we have our sport to fall back on.

Not with the Melbourne Cup result.

Australia: Where it doesn't matter if you make a medical breakthrough that benefits all humanity if you don't play sport.

It's a meathead country. Not a clever country.

Craig Alexander and Pete Jacobs 1st and 2nd respectively at Hawaii Ironman World Championships. Mirinda Carfrae 2nd, after her win last year!

Tough gig, right up there with the TDF!

pinkboy

Back