20k body corporate levy

My mum has just been slugged with a 20k request from her BC for repairs to the units balconies :)

The unit complex is quite a nice one but it's full of elderly wealthy retirees who seem to have nothing better to do than find ways to spend money.

The balconies are in quite acceptable condition at the moment, sure it would nice to upgrade them... but 20k!?

What are her options?

Andrew_A said:
What are her options?

Not much.. I hate owning units for this reason, the body corporates are often hijacked by groups of well meaning Owner Occupiers :(

Your mum needs to lobby the other owners, if she cant get an anti-levy faction established and the decision overturned then there's not much she can do.. Perhaps she could negotiate a longer payment period?

I am fighting a similar battle at the moment.. thankfully there's only 4 units and I have the support of 1 other owner :) So effectively the Body Corporate is paralysed on that issue :)

I have had similar issues with BCs.

I believe if you are going to live in a communal setting like this, then you have to play a role. If you don't then you leave a vacuum for tyrants and the ignorant to fill. Your Mum should make friends with as many other reasonably minded owners, and present a united front. (For evil to succeed, good men must do nothing)

Maybe you could ring a lawyer for an opinion. Or REIQ or such. I am sure BCs must remain accountable to someone.

Sounds like the $20k is exorbitant. In an effort to sway other owners, your Mum might get some other quotes. On two occasions I have had the BC get work done by his relatives. The same guy also approved work for stuff that benefited his unit, and knocked back stuff that benefited others. It is my experience, esp with investors, that they take little interest in BC matters, and never show up for annual BC meetings.

20k sounds a bit steep. Are you sure nobody is attempting the "BC Takeover bid"? This is a tactic whereby several people band together to dream up exhorbitant fees with the view to forcing the others to sell out (cheaply, as buyers will also be scared off).

Once the units are purchased, you revoke the fees by cancelling the works.

Never actually seen it been done..... and would obviously be easier in a small block.

Cheers,

The Y-man

My parents live in a unit that forms part of a block of 6. Since they have moved in it's been nothing but headaches with the BC. :mad:

I found a lot of help through this forum on specific requests by many experts. The 20K does however sound rather steep. :eek:

I would certainly have your mum ensure that the Managing Agency provide at least 3 quotes for the work.

For those considering purchasing older style units take note.

AA

Your mother should get herself on the committee.

Personally I think if you are not prepared to attend AGM's etc you reap what you sow:)

I and one other control our block because we are the only ones out of 13 that bother to attend the meetings.

Being such a major expenditure this proposal would very likely be presented at the AGM to be voted on.

Now that it is done,I'd definitely be asking for 3 quotes and a detailed breakdown of the revamp. And I'd canvas all the other owners and if enough are anti,call a special general meeting.

ani

Back