21 Ways Rich People Think Differently Than Average People

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've just come across it yesterday and feel it's very relevant.

http://cherriebautista.com/21-ways-rich-people-think-differently-than-average-people/

One point in particular which comes up on this forum regularly is savings techniques and living frugally.
Sure, this is fine when just starting out and creating good habits, but no need to dwell on it too long.

17. Average people focus on saving. Rich people focus on earning.

Saving is limited, earning is unlimited.
Best to spend more time working on how to earn more rather than expending too much effort on saving from limited sources.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've just come across it yesterday and feel it's very relevant.

http://cherriebautista.com/21-ways-rich-people-think-differently-than-average-people/

One point in particular which comes up on this forum regularly is savings techniques and living frugally.
Sure, this is fine when just starting out and creating good habits, but no need to dwell on it too long.

Best to spend more time working on how to earn more rather than expending too much effort on saving from limited sources.

Its Funny I never read your till after reading the site, and thought that's the most important one. It worked for me.

although I personally dont fit into either of the poor/rich mentality in most of those statements, got a friend on a 6 figure salary doing quite well in life, who fits just about every criteria for the average person one

Nonsense. Saving (ie: spending less than you earn) is a vital part of becoming rich. A person who earns 50K p.a. and saves 10% of their income has a much better chance at becoming rich than someone that earns 150K and saves nothing.

I beg to differ.

In my experience average people are overly profligate with money and keen to take on bad debt ie. credit cards, gleaming new hire purchase cars.

Outside the world of software innovation, rich people save and invest like crazy.

Ok, I'll have a crack at these.

As the author of this list has used the words "rich people" to be the opposite of "average", my interpretation (to not be divisive or demeaning to those fiscally challenged) implies the notion of success (proactive go-getter types), which includes money and other elements of wealth.

1. Average people think MONEY is the root of all evil. Rich people believe POVERTY is the root of all evil.

People are the root of all evil with their thoughts and beliefs.....and actions. Money is a magnifier of all good and bad.

2. Average people think selfishness is a vice. Rich people think selfishness is a virtue.

Agree, in the true meaning of the term, it doesn't imply harm to another, merely looking after one's own self interest before the interests of others. To help others you need to be the best YOU that you can be. The oxygen mask metaphor during the safety demonstration in an aircraft is apt.For those interested a good book on this is by Ayn Rand called The Virtue of Selfishness.

3. Average people have a lottery mentality. Rich people have an action mentality.

Mostly this is true. Those who remain stuck usually allow life to happen to them rather than proactively seek to create their outcome.

4. Average people think the road to riches is paved with formal education. Rich people believe in acquiring specific knowledge.

Horses for courses. There are plenty of rich academically qualified people just as there are rich go-getter biz peole who had no formal education.

Hunger is the key ingredient. Many people are too comfortable on the couch.

5. Average people long for the good old days. Rich people dream of the future.

The halcyon days are now.
Now is all we have. As well as dreaming of the future, action is required to move in that direction.

6. Average people see money through the eyes of emotion. Rich people think about money logically.

Disagree. Whilst some decisions require rational calculated thought processes, there are times when trusting intuition and the gut feeling serves me better than just crunching numbers ad infinitum. Intuition and emotion are different beasts. The latter has a lack of focus/control whereas the former is usually experiential and based on all past successes and failures to arrive at a quick decision that "feels right".

7. Average people earn money doing things they don’t love. Rich people follow their passion.

True for both sides of the fence. I know quite a number of financially rich people who are miserable and vice versa. Having a passion is important though for holistic success and happiness.

8. Average people set low expectations so they’re never disappointed. Rich people are up for the challenge.

The masses are dumbed down by media and the current education system which as aimed at producing good little worker slaves to pay as much PAYG tax as can be extracted by the government of the day. Even within this framework, those who spend less than they earn and invest the difference can, over time, change their financial outcome.

9. Average people believe you have to DO something to get rich. Rich people believe you have to BE something to get rich.

Mindest is important in many areas of success.

10. Average people believe you need money to make money. Rich people use other people’s money.

Entrepreneurs use other people's money and they are few and far between. To get ahead some savings are required which may then be leveraged using OPM to invest in properties, shares, businesses, etc.Most of us do need money to make money.

11. Average people believe the markets are driven by logic and strategy. Rich people know they’re driven by emotion and greed.

Yep especially short term the (stock) markets are voting machines.

12. Average people live beyond their means. Rich people live below theirs.

Yes, I agree discipline is required. This is in contrast to point 17 though. Spend less than you earn requires an element of saving not just earning more.

Read the book The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko.

13. Average people teach their children how to survive. Rich people teach their kids to get rich.

I think it's important to teach children that it is not OK to have an entitlement mentality and that to flourish in health, wealth, family, etc., some responsibility is needed.

14. Average people let money stress them out. Rich people find peace of mind in wealth.

Not so sure about that. Average people probably let the (LACK of) money stress them out. Having more monetary wealth actually comes with added responsibility and sometimes fiscal headaches.(

15. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.

I enjoy learning and am a big reader. I also enjoy being entertained (passively) although it is rarely through TV.

16. Average people think rich people are snobs. Rich people just want to surround themselves with like-minded people

Ahhh, the topic of poppy stature. There are those who through fear/jealousy need to knock down others to not be intimidated by their own shortcomings or lack of proactivity. In my experience, not all rich people celebrate accomplishment though. There can be an element of tall poppy syndrome amongst the more financially accomplished also.

See my thoughts to point # 12. This statement is not congruent with what the author has indicated earlier IMO. Agree with others who have posted thast spending less than you earn is important on the path to accumulating financial riches as long as some investment (and re-investment) is also taking place.

18. Average people play it safe with money. Rich people know when to take risks.

Agree. Sometimes risky can be the new safe, as long as there is sensible portfolio apportionment to the more risky investments.

19. Average people love to be comfortable. Rich people find comfort in uncertainty.

To be above average I believe that some discomfort is required, at least initially, to get off the couch and take initiative.

20. Average people never make the connection between money and health. Rich people know money can save your life.

It didn't help the late Kerry Packer in the end. It is true that a better standard of medical care wil be availed to those that have the wherewithall to afford the requisite treatments. Wealth without health is not wealth at all IMO.

21. Average people believe they must choose between a great family and being rich. Rich people know you can have it all.

The either/or mentality usally does afflict the masses, however I'll caveat with (as mentioned earlier) that I know a number of rich people who despite their monetary wealth are miserable, divorced and without love and connection.

True success (being rich) to my mind is having peace of mind, great health, loving relationships (family and/or friends), meaning/purpose and financial riches.

Hmm that took a while. :cool:

Not having a go at the author, merely chucking in my 0.02 and how I see this game we play on the road to succe$$.

Have a good one :)

When you get wealthy by being cheap, when you are wealthy you will still be cheap.

Im paraphrasing RK, but conceptually, if you dig deep enough, in reality that might not be far off.

Id expect its driven by fear of loss.

ta
rolf

Fear of loss would be what stops most folk from doing a lot of things in life.

But I think for most folk - who are yer average wage earners etc - to be wasteful and extravagant is to never get rich - especially if combined with poor money habits.

No; the average folk need to be "tight" for the first step, then learn how to manage/handle money when they have some, then learn about how to invest it for growth.

I think fear of loss would be the normal human condition; at least a risk-averse mentality.

Nothing wrong with that to a degree; you don't want a devil may care attitude with a large sum of cash; it'll be gone in a flash.

Ok, I'll have a crack at these.

I hadn't actually read any of the list (aside from No. 17 or whatever) but after reading this post, that article would have to be the biggest crock I have read (well, skimmed) in a long time.

A more accurate title for the piece would have been '21 tired cliches regarding attaining money'.

I found it funny that you quoted RK, Rolf, since he got rich selling snake oil to idiots, after he happened to write what was admittedly a very good book for people to reference to get started on their journey. He is an extraordinarily successful salesman, not an investor. There are plenty of examples of people who were 'cheap' when they were working their way up, who did not live cheap when they attained wealth.

Nonsense. Saving (ie: spending less than you earn) is a vital part of becoming rich. A person who earns 50K p.a. and saves 10% of their income has a much better chance at becoming rich than someone that earns 150K and saves nothing.

Nearly the same words were said to me 20 odd years ago.
“Nonsense you should have saved it” I had just bought CBA shares, 32380 of them to be exact.
The earning off that one hasn’t been too bad, never had to save much after that it earned its own way.
Anyway that’s how I read rule 17.

Yes, but where did the money come from to buy those shares? Did you receive it in an inheritance or was it given to you or did you save the money initially?

Te money to buy them had to come from somewhere.

32380 CBA shares would have required a small fortune even 20 years ago that most could not afford. It would have cost the price of a nice house. At today's prices, thats about 2.2 mil (@$68) which is pretty incredible if you have held them for the full 20 years with dividend payments and buybacks, etc.

Yes, but where did the money come from to buy those shares? Did you receive it in an inheritance or was it given to you or did you save the money initially?

Te money to buy them had to come from somewhere.
In the late 80’s early 90’s state housing sold off a lot of state homes in Karratha they generally sold at below half the builds costs.
I was sort in the building game and had several quotes in with people who had state homes but were about to build new homes and hand back there state homes so we offered to buy them unconditionally $10K over the state housing price at settlement of when they wanted. All they had to do was the paperwork and I guaranteed them $10K, we only got one of these.
Not to mention the fact there was panic in town when construction finished on Burrup.
Companies where selling for next to nothing .With ongoing lease agreement, with no deposit we brought a few. The way we bought them other than ours (state housing) was to ask for settlement after the lease agreement had finished and reduced the price by the agreed rent.
Which was 10 months at $350 pw a total of $14K so we present unconditional offers to them which worked out to $69K per home; they came back and wanted$ 70.
About 6 months after Woodside announced the next Phase would go ahead.
We did nothing about finance other than a conversation with the a bank manager at the Footy club, he said I’d have to be joking but said if I had a deal like that to come and see him. He didn’t laugh when we walked in and asked for the money, from memory interest rates were around 20-21%
The day we settled we were making 28% as the company rented monthly for another 2 years. After 6 months it was raise to 30% and interest rates started to drop.
We sold out of necessity due health issues, and the real estate just did not make me feel that secure.
I know is being smartest is not what it takes to be wealth, sometimes you see it and you need to put very thing into it, especially when you have no money it just might pay off.
So the money came out of thin air really just a thought while laying bed after reading a book about real estate deals (an old yank book), and a few sleepless nights working it out. And banks were a lot different then you could run an over draught by showing the size to the order you had from your customer and as long the bank knew them the over draught was no problem.

So saving is not and has never been one of my strengths but hey each to his own, as they did nothing for me.

Sometimes you need to think outside the square.

32380 CBA shares would have required a small fortune even 20 years ago that most could not afford. It would have cost the price of a nice house. At today's prices, thats about 2.2 mil (@$68) which is pretty incredible if you have held them for the full 20 years with dividend payments and buybacks, etc.

China
Hence the name intrigued it’s not that incredible we just felt secure with that extra income coming in and kept reinvesting and learnt a few other things. We have another small company which allowed us to continually reinvest the returns.

I think it's important to teach children that it is not OK to have an entitlement mentality and that to flourish in health, wealth, family, etc., some responsibility is needed.
We see this all the time at the workshop in the form of how these folk behave within their world concerning their cars, and just their general approach to life; their lack of responsibility ...

The low income earner, low education - left school early because they were lazy and struggled to keep up, or thought they were too cool for school and so on.

Next; they buy the cheaparzed heap which needs loads of work and dollars which they don't have, so it's a danger and a hazard on the road...often they are unregistered, the driver is un-licenced, the car is unroadworthy, etc.

They constantly throw good money after bad at these jalopies; keeping them broke...they honestly can't afford the car, but continue on...

The driver is a often a speeder, copping more financial strain from being irresponsible behind the wheel, they are more likely to be pulled over and fined for unregistered cars, blown light globes, generaly breaking road rules because they have no respect; no responsibility, etc, etc....

Throw in a propensity to be a smoker, a drinker, a gambler, covered in tatts they can't realistically afford, a dead wood employee who can't keep a job, or has an attitude to their job that sees them constantly moving from one to another...

Just one bad decision and lack of responsibility in life after another.

What about mercedes e class drivers or bmw 5 series owners who have paid for their car in cash? Whose car is two weeks' worth of earnings? Who work very hard and pay a lot of taxes. Who drive reasonably carefully and is often the subject of road rage from the tattooed low income drivers in cheap vehicles? So I guess the type of car you drive does reflect your role in society and attitudes towards wealth.

13. Average people teach their children how to survive. Rich people teach their kids to get rich.

A massive fail in todays society, whether it be the gen ys themselves, or the gen y offspring, or the gen Xs who have enabled this or not, the sense of entitlement amongst todays young is astonishing,

20 years ago, if you were morbidly obese, youd be pretty ashamed and quiet about it, but today its a combination of "oh its not my fault", "its KFCs fault", "there arent enough hours in the day" "I am who I am, not how much I weigh" "im comfortable with whom I am" and my favourite "I love my food!"

today if
You are fat, Its somebody elses fault
You are drowning in personal debt, Its somebody elses fault
You are nt getting paid $100k out of uni with a company car bossing the CEO around, Its somebody elses fault
You cant afford to buy a 4bdr innner cbd on your wage, Its somebody elses fault

etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
What about mercedes e class drivers or bmw 5 series owners who have paid for their car in cash? Whose car is two weeks' worth of earnings? Who work very hard and pay a lot of taxes. Who drive reasonably carefully and is often the subject of road rage from the tattooed low income drivers in cheap vehicles? So I guess the type of car you drive does reflect your role in society and attitudes towards wealth.

If you earn $100k a week and are only driving a 5 series, you are the butt of jokes amongst your even wealthier peers in their 7 series, Jag XK's and Aston's who see you as a low income driver in a cheap vehicle.

Equating material possessions with your position in society is about as dumb as you can get.

Back