24 yr old, still living at home..

The only thing that would scare me about going away and not having an IP already under my belt would be two true stories ...

1. In about 1976 my parents did a ten week London and Europe trip. They had just sold my late grandfather's house in Hawthorne Brisbane for 29K. During the trip they met some people who wanted to move to Australia. They told them that for what their house was worth in Scotland, they could buy a PPOR and also an IP.

ln the time they were away, the market had started to rocket upwards and the house they sold for $29K was now worth $45K. They phoned the Scottish couple and told them to hold everything, don't sell yet because what we told you has changed dramatically. They then sent real estate glossies to them so they could see how things had changed. Don't know if they ever moved here.

2. About four years ago the house next door was rented to a family who had done up a house in Coorparoo and sold it for a good profit. They took out a six month lease next door but ended up being there for over twelve months because, again, the market was red hot. Every house they put a contract on had five to seven other contracts, and they kept missing out. They reckoned houses in Coorparoo were going up by $5K each month. After twelve months their buying power had diminished considerably AND they had paid all that rent.

If you can afford to buy now, why wait.

wylie

The only thing that would scare me about going away and not having an IP already under my belt would be two true stories ...

If you can afford to buy now, why wait.

wylie

I second that. I bought my first IPs in 2000 and went overseas in 2001. Didn't buy any more property for 2 years (actually signed a contract to buy a place in Sydney in 2001 but got gazumped). The first time I came back to Sydney in 02 (temporarily) I realised my properties had gone up a bit, and that really started me on the investing road.
Alex

I'd have to say #1 and #2 are the front runners. I really want to go overseas enjoy myself, get it out my system and come back and get serious.

Like a few people have mentioned i'll have to sit down, spend a few hours a night researching, learning and do a few calculations.

I guess I was lucky at a young age learning about saving and compounding interest. I remember doing paper deliveries at 15 and putting my money in a term deposit. At the end of the 12mths i made $200 interest, 10 weeks worth of paper deliveries I was over the moon.

I do feel sorry for the young kids growing up now through. My brothers mates are 18, $40k car for new ute, $150 a mth mobile bill, $5k owing interest free plasma.

Sounds like your head is in the right place ;)
I'm guessing you've paid your deposit, worked hard and earned a break... enjoy you holiday.... Contiki tours don't last long..you'll be back in OZ before long to delve into property.

However your parents having recently bought in Qld, have already done some market research, If you want to do it on your own, (probably not wanting their financial input) there's no harm in consulting the 'whys and whatevers' of there recent buy, If fact you may even decide to replicate their purchase with you own IP in a similar location after speaking to them (or they may have an alternative area they were considering).
They have 3 IPS so have 3 IP more experience than you.

There is also no reason why you cant get your parents experience on hand and begin some research before going away
Despite going on holidays you do have the opportunity to purchase before you leave with tenants in place or take a long settlement which means after paying for the deposit and having the loan application in place you can address the rest of the financial issues on your return.

Plenty of options...

Sounds like your head is in the right place ;)
I'm guessing you've paid your deposit, worked hard and earned a break... enjoy you holiday.... Contiki tours don't last long..you'll be back in OZ before long to delve into property.

I planned, booked and paid most of the trip late last year.

I got a second job back in Feb just doing nightfill 20 hours a week, along with my 8 weeks annual leave owing i'm hoping not having to touch my deposit.

My parents have spent the last few nights showing me the whole depreciation, the negative gearing aspect and a few of dads excel spreadsheets for their properties.

Thanks for your help.

Im still young and have never been O/S before, hey.. Tasmania's "over seas"..:D

Im the the type of guy who thinks first, then likes to work out a strategy and time frame in which I would like to achieve, and in what order,

I do want to get out there and enjoy life but in the real world, if you want to get ahead of the pack, you've gotta sew the seeds now, harvest rewards later,
its golden rule number 1, Sacrifice.

I cant bear to head O/S at the moment, Im just too wrapped up in property investment, its either hold another IP, or go overseas, I want as many IP's as I can possibly hold so the choice is easy for me, Ill be a jetsetter when Im filthy rich and retired by age 40.
Many people say "ohhh just get out there while youre young" mind you, not one of them are financially independant and probarbly never will be.

I personally dont see 40 as being too old to start living your life to the fullest, l'd just end up doing something stupid if I went now anyway..:cool:

I do want to get out there and enjoy life but in the real world, if you want to get ahead of the pack, you've gotta sew the seeds now, harvest rewards later,
its golden rule number 1, Sacrifice.

I cant bear to head O/S at the moment, Im just too wrapped up in property investment, its either hold another IP, or go overseas, I want as many IP's as I can possibly hold so the choice is easy for me, Ill be a jetsetter when Im filthy rich and retired by age 40.
Many people say "ohhh just get out there while youre young" mind you, not one of them are financially independant and probarbly never will be.

You can do both, W2BW. I did. Worked for 6 years overseas, made more money than I ever could have if I'd worked in Sydney, saved money, and bought some IPs while overseas as well.

Don't think that an overseas stint has to be just spending money and drinking (though many people do that). Usually it means you make more money, so if you can save the same % you can save more in dollar terms.

I couldn't have done the thing I have (financially or otherwise) if I'd stayed in Sydney.
Alex

I would take up your parents on their offer - or part thereof if it suits you better. You can always treat it as a loan and pay them back later.

Also, when you come back from overseas why not get a job in the mining industry? You will still be working 60 hour weeks but will be earning a lot more money and not be sacrificing the $6000 no tax threshold on a second job. You might not have to relocate either being based in Perth so you should be able to get well ahead and maybe even buy 2 IPs!

You're 24 and you have saved 65k?

One word.

Wow.

:cool:

I did something similar.... not hard provided you work hard and keep track of where the money goes :)

Though ppl often say that family and money doesn't mix well.... perhaps approach your parent's offer as more of a business offer where they come in as equal partner's for the purchase. Work together to find a place that suits your lifestyle/employment and their requirements for an IP.

Make sure you go to the trouble of properly arranging contracts... even though it is family.

I cant bear to head O/S at the moment, Im just too wrapped up in property investment, its either hold another IP, or go overseas,

Hi W2BW,

If you already have a few IP's and you are still young you will probably do very well for yourself later on whether you take a year off to travel or not.

I started my property investing at 22 then travelled O/S for 4 years, had a fantastic time, met the man of my dreams who just happens to be into building and maintenance and is now back in Melbourne with me permanantly and we are buying and renovating properties together.

You never know where it will take you, but it is sure to make you more mature while also having a bit of fun while you are still young.

Bronwyn.

I have no regrets going overseas, otherwise I would never have met my husband and have a georgeous 2 yr old son now.

I went in 2000 when the USD was double the AUD. It was a last minute decision. Quit my job and applied for the J1 Visa through councilexchanges and left for L.A about 2 weeks later. I had no money since I was still paying rent for my flat in sydney! I had to live off credit card until I landed a job in NYC.....spent 3 mths working in NY, spent a mth travelling US and traded my return ticket for a one way ticket to London. Spent a year working in UK and backpacking Europe. I was offered jobs that I would never have otherwise got in Oz....in NYC I was earning USD$1000 a week net from my day job which was $2k aussie at the time. I managed to earn another $300 to $500 USD a week working a couple of nights in a fancy restaurant.

If I hadn't gone overseas, I may not be doing PI today. Since my motivation is to earn good money so I can travel wherever I want and whenever i want.
I don't think I'll ever be able to shake off this travelling bug.

Next trip is 2 weeks Japan (thank you Jetstar for affordable tickets) in November for autumn foliage. I heard Air Asia will be launching a Gold Coast - KL route next mth! so our gateway to asia and Virgin Blue will be launching flights to US and China next year.

I have no regrets going overseas, otherwise I would never have met my husband and have a georgeous 2 yr old son now.

I don't think I'll ever be able to shake off this travelling bug.

Hi Sue, you sound quite similar to me, but at the moment I have lost the travel bug and just want to get stuck into our renovations.
Taking an active 2 year old along for the travelling ride would be an adventure.
Is your hubby an Aussie or from overseas? Mine is from England.

Regards, Bronwyn.

Mine's British too! he was more than happy to migrate to oz.

I can't shake off this travel bug. First I thought, do some travelling before having a baby, then it was get as much travelling done as possible whilst he's still eligible for infant fare and now it's travel before I have another one.

It's too hard travelling with a young child....just can't stay in backpacker type places.

Back