3 words increased my rent by 42%

Geez, I'm impressed, he did a great job for one without experience/qualifications. Maybe I'm selling myself short but I don't think I can do that good of a reno first time. I reckon if he decides to do renovating fulltime, he'll do very well.

Anyway, great job again, you guys are an inspiration!

Hi 888,

My brother barley finished year 12. He has no qualifications, but a strong passion to do whatever it takes and willingness to learn a few different things. Anyone could have done the same job!!!

. Anyone could have done the same job!!!

I would have to say that this is totally incorrect. I can't count how many places we have had to fix things where the previous owner attempted to do "renovations".

Painting for instance. To me, cutting in is the easiest thing in the world. I have a steady hand and do a pretty good job. I'm not as good with the roller, so that is Hubby's job. Together, we do good work.

Most of the places that we have bought, we have had to paint (or they will get painted when we get the time), not because the paint is old, or stained, or a bad colour, but because the person who did the work last, could not paint.

Our new PPOR, for instance. In the bathroom, the owner just bought paint that he thought was a match with the exising colour (it wasn't) and rolled the room without cutting in, but only the parts that he thought needed doing. :confused: There is paint on the tiles, on the cornice, and around the mirror. It really is a very bad job. In many of the rooms there is (was) a heap of paint on the trims, that just should not be there. Then there are placed that have been painted by brush. Just one coat, so you can see the brush strokes. Not good!

Not a lot of people have the natural aptitude and/or patience to do a good job. This goes not only for painting, but the many varied jobs undertaken when doing a reno.

There is paint on the tiles, on the cornice, and around the mirror. It really is a very bad job. In many of the rooms there is (was) a heap of paint on the trims, that just should not be there. Then there are placed that have been painted by brush. Just one coat, so you can see the brush strokes. Not good!

Arrrgh! *skin crawls* I feel like I need a shower now.

This is a pet peeve - IT'S NOT THAT HARD! :D

I hate painting. I just want to get it done.
The tenants never like the colors you choose anyways.
Sometimes you find out later they have painted, when the rules very clearly state, permission must be given by us. Grrrrrr !!!
That is why I have given up caring about a few brush strokes, paint on trim etc.

I hate painting. I just want to get it done.
The tenants never like the colors you choose anyways.
Sometimes you find out later they have painted, when the rules very clearly state, permission must be given by us. Grrrrrr !!!
That is why I have given up caring about a few brush strokes, paint on trim etc.

I've only had two attempt to paint. One was a painter and did a good job. The other..........well, let me just say they certainly were not painters.:rolleyes: But it's all good. Money out of Bond to bring it back to how I had it when they left.:D

I think small adult pets are less of a problem than young kids as far as IP damage or just wear and tear goes.

I think that Pets Allowed is a great idea for the less than "Brand New" IP.

Thanks for this post.

Noice reno and great Jack Johnson track on your youtube before & afters ;)

you left the louvered bedroom wardrobe doors instead of replacing. I assume there was a reason for this as the cost would have been minimal?
Can you tell me please, were these the old daggy wooden brown type doors? Did you use a white gloss & just change the door handles & internal locking devices?

Have a friend looking at a cheap, quick reno & selling his PPOR with EVERY door & cupboard throughout being those doors. Next is convincing him to change the benchtops which are equivalent to the "The Lone O'Ranger" / orange Monaro colour. Eww.

Noice reno and great Jack Johnson track on your youtube before & afters ;)

Can you tell me please, were these the old daggy wooden brown type doors? Did you use a white gloss & just change the door handles & internal locking devices?

Have a friend looking at a cheap, quick reno & selling his PPOR with EVERY door & cupboard throughout being those doors. Next is convincing him to change the benchtops which are equivalent to the "The Lone O'Ranger" / orange Monaro colour. Eww.

The house I grew up in had those louver doors for the robes, they were a nightmare to keep clean, especially the ones that were just stained timber. My poor mother spent years regretting her decision to get them!

BIG dust collectors, would turn me right off buying a house with them, especially if EVERY door was a louver.

Back