30% tax rebate

I am going to shortly get a new vehicle for work use. I am hoping to benefit from the 30% rebate presently being offered (till June 30)
Presently I am in a partnership with 3 others in a business and we keep our vehicles out of it to keep things simple. I am contemplating starting a new business through which I will do some consulting work in the same field and possibly to use as a property investment vehicle (though I already have a family trust for that).

I thought I could purchase the vehicle through this new business to gain the tax rebate benefit.

What should I look out for in terms of trips and traps in starting a new business like this which may appear to be tax avoidance:confused:

I am contemplating starting a new business through which I will do some consulting work in the same field .....
What should I look out for in terms of trips and traps in starting a new business like this which may appear to be tax avoidance:confused:

Well first off starting a new business is not tax avoidance BUT I think what you're saying is that because you are consulting in the same field as you are currently employed it could be seen as such.

The 80/20 rule will get you if you just consult for just one entity or related entities of this one entity. (look up the ATO web-site). If you get caught by this rule then you are deemed to be earning wages not being SE.

Back