340k asking block of 5 units what things I need to consider ?

4 times 2 bed units and 1 time 1 bed unit , 2 titles
Returning 675 weekly total rent fully occupied .
Sounds a good return .
May I ask what's the two titles mean ?
Any major things need to consider about the deal ?
Opi would be greatly appreciated
M new about property investment .

2 titles probably means that 2 units are on one title and 3 units on a second title.

You need to consider what the other holding costs are. Council & water rates may be disproportionately high. What about maintenance, property management, insurance, etc. The cash flow may not be as good as you think.

Small regional town in VIC, I'd stay away personally unless you've done a lot of research and all the makers are looking good.

The fact that the rental figures have to stipulate "when fully occupied" says enough. Patchy rental demand. Work your figures off 2 units vacant at any time.

Going from the micro to macro : Population size and stability, is the population growing, proximity to other large population areas, diversity and current state of the economy, vacancy rate, ability to insure, will a local pm manage it?Flood/fire/crime risk, number of new developments, are units common or does most of the population live in houses? Are the vacant units advertised at market rent or over to artificially inflate the yield. Compare with recent sales, are there any? and if so whats the average number of days on market.
Finally what am I attempting to achieve, does the high yield compensate for concentration risk and possible slower growth and can I obtain finance with a resi loan and suitable LVR?

The quality of the actual asset is very low , more like cabins than units

Won't attract very good tenants

What's the yield 10%?
I think a house with 7-8 % is a better option

Remembering a few things - need a bigger deposit for the units
Your rates will be higher
Your chances of good growth are linked to rental return as your future buyers are going to be investors - with deep pockets needed (No high LVRs)
The house will appeal to more future buyers better chance of growth

Also if these unit blocks are a good buy then why are they being sold?? They should be an easy hold shouldn't they ?

I don't mind the town these units are in, I have looked there for houses on several occasions......... BUT there is probably no way I'd be buying what looks like a crap load of asbestos to me.

I can handle a little (pretty much impossible to avoid in old property), but being totally clad in it looks to be why it's so cheap. People just get nervous about the stuff.

How much does it cost to get rid of it all, I wonder?

I don't mind the town these units are in, I have looked there for houses on several occasions......... BUT there is probably no way I'd be buying what looks like a crap load of asbestos to me.

I can handle a little (pretty much impossible to avoid in old property), but being totally clad in it looks to be why it's so cheap. People just get nervous about the stuff.

How much does it cost to get rid of it all, I wonder?

Yep the town is fine

Looked at them and figured why would you bother rennovating them? Still be left with a crappy unit - bones arn't there

Cost to get rid of asbestos varies wildly
Depending on the density of it

Quotes for removal of all internal sheeting in one of ours were between 17 and 23k
125sqm of floor space

We got a lab test and had the bad stuff (low density??)
Apparently it's around 3 times the price to professionally remove

So we sheeted over it

I wouldn't go for it, what is the Prob of all 6 units rented at same time to return your 6xx per week? Out going eg Body corp for 6 units? Capital growth?

I rather get 1x property for 340k way easier to manage and perhaps more capital growth

4 times 2 bed units and 1 time 1 bed unit , 2 titles
Returning 675 weekly total rent fully occupied .
Sounds a good return .
May I ask what's the two titles mean ?
Any major things need to consider about the deal ?
Opi would be greatly appreciated
M new about property investment .

One thing to note Janice , is that everyone has gone off and checked the property as you gave fairly unique details .

If it had been a really good deal it might be off the market by now .....

I never post specifics unless I've purchased .

Cliff

One thing to note Janice , is that everyone has gone off and checked the property as you gave fairly unique details .

If it had been a really good deal it might be off the market by now .....

I never post specifics unless I've purchased .

Cliff

Yep we are a nosey bunch aren't we?

As per above OP - lots of questions, many about understanding the town's economic and demographic future, then some about the sub area and street, rental demand (in particular) and the property itself. Structure, space, fire rating, can it be easily strata titled for example (the more exit strategies the better) etc

Back